Hi GG&A
After having crappy little SS combos for ages, i decided that i'll get a nice SMALL tube amp before i leave for uni next year. I dont think i'll ever gig with it - im my bands bassist - but if i do our usual venue has a PA system so i'd probably go through that via DI (or possibly mic'd amp)
I currently have a digitech RP500, and the distortions arent amazing (they get the job done, but they dont stand a chance against tube power!) so i'd like a tube amp. I'd like to get another bass before i go to uni as well (i only have one atm) so i'd not like to spend much more than £300, so im thinking epiphone valve junior hot rod kinda amps.
Head and cab is preffered, but i would be fine with a combo.
Mainly play rock, not much high gain, so would like nice cleans and low-mid gain stuff.
Guitars i own are:
fender MIM telecaster (stock, used for cleans)
Stagg strat copy (with tonerider vintage pups/boston SC humbucker in bridge)
Custom strat build (with Lace sensor plus (red, silver, blue) and series/parallel with on offs-like this )
I have thought about fender champion 600 (with enough left over for TS or something), vox AC4, epi VJ hot rod, blackheart BH1.

So, to sum it up, any other recommendations for a small, cheap tube amp, with nice cleans and low/mid gain stuff?
Thanks in advance!
Hmm, the cub looks nice, and not too pricey either, thanks for that.
Any others, or any opinions on the ones mentioned so far?
I'm guessing you're looking for a small wattage amp? like 5 watts or less? you have a massive selection.

Bugera V5
Crate Palomino V8
Blackheart Little Giant
Vintage Fender Champ (you should be able to get a silverface for less than 300 quid, I got mine for 240)
Gibson Skylark (unknown but awesome vintage amp, definitely should be able to get one for less than 300)
Marshall Class 5
Orange AD5

My opinion will be biased but if you care for it, my choice would be the Silverface Fender Champ.
Quote by ghiyath
I'm guessing you're looking for a small wattage amp? like 5 watts or less? you have a massive selection.

I dont care about power, just so long as its quiet, can be cranked without deafening the neighbors, cheap, and small, (so im looking at <5W ones.) I doubt you can find a 100W that satisfies all of those, but if so, then please say!!

Thanks for your help so far, keep the suggestions rolling in!!
EDIT:
Should probably say, i dont trust ebay and things, will never go used unless i personally know and trust the seller, but even then i would rather go new.
Last edited by minnis at Aug 21, 2010,
Quote by minnis
I dont care about power, just so long as its quiet, can be cranked without deafening the neighbors, cheap, and small, (so im looking at <5W ones.) I doubt you can find a 100W that satisfies all of those, but if so, then please say!!

Thanks for your help so far, keep the suggestions rolling in!!
EDIT:
Should probably say, i dont trust ebay and things, will never go used unless i personally know and trust the seller, but even then i would rather go new.

if you're looking for cleans and low-mid gain stuff i'd go with a silverface champ and ebay is pretty secure these days. I mean they'll even pay you back if the seller lies to you about the item he's selling, but if that's what you want to do then whatever.

The JCA20 combo seems to have a lot of people raving, but I don't know about it's volume levels for home use since I've never played it. However, all the sound clips I hear are great. I also like the AD5 a lot. You really couldn't go wrong with any of them. Since you hate used gear, my next suggestions would be a JCA20 or an orange AD5. Just my opinion.
Last edited by ghiyath at Aug 21, 2010,