Hey everyone. So here's my dilemma. I'm new to college this year, I just moved in to my dorm on Wednesday. Trouble is, I live in another state. I know absolutely no one. I'm a shy guy around people I don't know, and I'm really starting to feel kinda lonely around here.

So my question is this. What are good ways to meet people at college/university? Especially for the shy. I hope this thread helps others in this situation too.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
join clubs.

or sit and look lonely in the dining hall. someone will eventually join you.
Go to some of the activities arranged by the College or join a club.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by The_Blode
^ I'm sorry your highness I forgot that I'm subhuman. . .

Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Join groups and go to events, join a sport or the gym. Talk to people in and out of classes.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Don't bring your ipod or whatever the first month. You'll be more approachable if you're not just sitting in your own world. And you'll be more inclined to just talk to other people to kill boredom.
the classing thing works well because you are forced to have something in common. i feel like a lot of classes you take in your first term or two wind up giving you group projects so students are forced to interact and maybe strike up friendships.
Walk around with your PRS custom. People will flock to you.
I play guitar in a ska band.
Modded MIM Strat > Fender Tuner > Bugera V55HD > Custom built 2x12
I'm kinda in the same dilemma, everyone on my floor is just obsessed with partying and hanging out at the frat houses and im not really into that. Im just kinda a calm person and i enjoy like smaller kickbacks rather than parties and it kinda bugs me when people are obnoxious and just like OMG WHERES THE PARTY AT HIT ME UP!!! i was originally really excited to be coming here, but everyone ive met so far is just not my type of person.
Currently Playing:
Arma 2/3, Dayz, GW2, GTA, Splinter Cell, ESO, FF:X, Pokemon X
Remember that a lot of other people are in the same situation, and want to make new friends just as much as you do.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Go on the internet and pretend you're a girl... (he's not rollling his eye, he's looking up.)
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
just do it.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by Dreaminmusic
I'm kinda in the same dilemma, everyone on my floor is just obsessed with partying and hanging out at the frat houses and im not really into that. Im just kinda a calm person and i enjoy like smaller kickbacks rather than parties and it kinda bugs me when people are obnoxious and just like OMG WHERES THE PARTY AT HIT ME UP!!! i was originally really excited to be coming here, but everyone ive met so far is just not my type of person.

Maybe you should heed the wise prophet Andrew W.K. and PARTY HARD!!!!

WARNING!!! People who have seizures should avoid looking at the rest of this post.

I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by The_Blode
^ I'm sorry your highness I forgot that I'm subhuman. . .

Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
I was in the same predicament as you my first year in uni. The thing that really helped was joining a club, seriously, it made my whole university experience so much better.
Quote by Meths

Obviously I'm biased towards the correct point of view. What kind of retard isn't?

Quote by FrenchyFungus
Remember that a lot of other people are in the same situation, and want to make new friends just as much as you do.

This. Take it slow and start talking to people more and more as you get more comfortable. And look for people you get along with; joining a club has been mentioned but it's great for finding common interests. Or you could volunteer somewhere.

It can be tough, but trust me, if you try, you'll meet people.
play guitar around campus?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Dreaminmusic

your situation is a bit tougher. actually, it is pretty close to how things were for me during my freshman year. it is tough to find people who aren't that interested in the whole frat scene, especially freshman year.

maybe trying to meet some upperclassmen that are over that whole thing could work? or you could just hit up one of the parties and find some other people that don't look so into it and talk with them.

general advice: don't worry so much about not finding friends in the first couple weeks you are at college. chances are that a lot of those friendships won't be the ones that last through college and beyond. with time, you will find people that you really enjoy. trust me on this.
Yeah it kinda sucks cuz thats literally how my entire floor is, but i guess today the uni has ice breakers and meeting things set up to help people socialize. A big part of it aswell is that i miss my gf because she's in california, whereas im in pennsylvania.
Currently Playing:
Arma 2/3, Dayz, GW2, GTA, Splinter Cell, ESO, FF:X, Pokemon X
When i did first year, i made a few friends, but only through my own 1 or 2 friends making them. I really regret not joining some form of club or whatever.

Im starting over again in a few weeks though, and joining a club will be a top priority.
make sure your supply of chloroform is at capacity
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
If you want to meet people you have to take the initiative to go out and speak with people. Don't expect them to come strike up a conversation with you. Just make sure you don't come on too strong or people will think you're a creeper. As mentioned before joining clubs is a good way to meet people.