Hai guyz, I'm probably going to start part-time work in a small music shop in my town, does anybody have any advice on what to do, what not to do and basically how to sell stuff? Cheers, much appreciated.
Learn your stuff, be engaging, and don't try to sell people things they don't want.
Schecter C-1 Elite-->BOSS ME-20-->B-52 AT100 2x12

Quote by laid-to-waste
Extremely attractive woman.
extremely attractive
oh baby
EDIT: you're a guy. shit.
...an extremely attractive guy.
extremely attractive
oh baby

E-Paramour of Andrea55
All you can really do is know what you're talking about and speak confidently. If you have both, sales will come.
It'll be difficult. i went to all my local music shops and got told that business is really slow during summer and that there's no chance of getting hired.
¡sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ suɐılɐɹʇsnɐ ʎluo

E-married to danny the fish

Quote by Kensai
That's a purdy mouth you got there, zelestros. Why don't we make good use of that in other ways...
What to do:
- Smile
- Be polite and interested
- Get to know the store and its stock

What not to do:
- Bite customers
- Urinate on the store front
- Come to work naked

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter:
Best of luck to you. I don't know that I could ever stomach a job like that, having to sell people Ibanez guitars and Line 6 amps. *shudder*
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by Kilobyte
What to do:
- Smile

What not to do:
- Bite customers
- Come to work naked

Unless TS is either stunningly attractive or has a modicum of physical charms and is a female.
Schecter C-1 Elite-->BOSS ME-20-->B-52 AT100 2x12

Quote by laid-to-waste
Extremely attractive woman.
extremely attractive
oh baby
EDIT: you're a guy. shit.
...an extremely attractive guy.
extremely attractive
oh baby

E-Paramour of Andrea55
Quote by Kilobyte
What to do:
- Smile

What not to do:
- Bite customers
- Come to work naked

if only anyone would have gave me this advice before... i will still had my job
hahahaha well, I asked for a job in a local music shop, but they did not hired me because of my age Iguess, I was like 15 or sth
Just share your knowledge, if some beginner comes in wanting a piezo pickup just cause he heard they were good off a friend, before he wastes his money inform him that it'll just highlight his every mistake if he makes any... share your knowledge and help people!
Quote by myevilside
It'll be difficult. i went to all my local music shops and got told that business is really slow during summer and that there's no chance of getting hired.

This. I'm the only one who works at my local music shop and have two jobs because of how slow it is. It has to be one the easiest jobs there is though.
Questions of science
Science and progress
Do not speak as loud as my heart
I work at a music shop in town. It's really tough because it is slow. To keep business up, you really have to be able to get customers informed and excited about the things they do honestly want. This means providing a wealth of information beyond your current expertise and definitely getting familiar with what the store can provide.
Top 5 Rush Songs:
1. La Villa Strangiato
2. Natural Science
3. The Main Monkey Business
4. Vital Signs
5. Subdivisions

Complete Atomic Basie by Count Basie.

Ask me shit: formspring.me/howthiswork
from my experience be friendly and engage in what the customers are interested in, I'm sure we've all been to stores where some of the staff are aloof elitist pricks.
Remember, everything the shop sells is AWESOME, yet it's AWESOME'ness is directly proportional to how much it costs

You know that Line-6 spiders are pretty crappy... but it's that kinda stuff that pays your wages so try as hard to sell that as you would an expensive product.
Quote by kaptink
from my experience be friendly and engage in what the customers are interested in, I'm sure we've all been to stores where some of the staff are aloof elitist pricks.

THIS. I live in Peru and here there's only one music store where you can actually try out gear, and the guys are assholes who, unless you look older than 25 or you're with your dad, won't let you try most of the stuff and they'll give you the shittiest amp and instrument they can find. Oh and they stare at you uncomfortably, with an "enough?" expression so that you leave asap.

Sucks cause it would've been interesting to work there if it wasn't for the fact that I thought that all those that would've been my co-workers are total assholes.
Current Gear:
Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio (Bass)
Yamaha RBX-170 (Bass)
Boss ODB-3 (Overdrive Pedal)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)
Quote by Kilobyte
What to do:
- Smile

What not to do:
- Bite customers
- Come to work naked

Funny story, before they offered me a job they said that if I walked round town naked and with a board round me saying "COME TO GUITAR GALLERIES" they'd give me a Kustom Low End 1x15, 4x10 and 2000-watt head. Almost did it.
Be Honest, but if anyone comes in and says that they were looking to buy a Line6 Spider and you make the most profit on them, then just seell it and smile do not say Line 6 Spiders are terrible, how about you buy a product where we make barely any money.

Quote by 09phillt
Funny story, before they offered me a job they said that if I walked round town naked and with a board round me saying "COME TO GUITAR GALLERIES" they'd give me a Kustom Low End 1x15, 4x10 and 2000 -watt head. Almost did it.

Lies!!
Last edited by digman50 at Aug 21, 2010,
Promote the business on the internet and such. And be honest, people aren't going to come to your store again if you say a fender frontman is better then some high end tube amp just so you can make some extra money. Also, discount things. The store around the corner sells boss bf-3 flangers for 60$ while Guitar Center's is twice that.
Signature Signature Signature Signature Signature Erutangis Erutangis Erutangis Erutangis Erutangis Erutangis Signature Signature Signature Signature Signature Signature Erutangis Erutangis Erutangis Erutangis Erutangis
If you know anything about instruments, you are already over qualified.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by namegoeshere
Promote the business on the internet and such. And be honest, people aren't going to come to your store again if you say a fender frontman is better then some high end tube amp just so you can make some extra money. Also, discount things. The store around the corner sells boss bf-3 flangers for 60$ while Guitar Center's is twice that.

Not much chance of that, all they stock so far is Kustom and Blackstar, but it's a new shop. Btw, are Blackstar any good?
Quote by 09phillt
Not much chance of that, all they stock so far is Kustom and Blackstar, but it's a new shop. Btw, are Blackstar any good?

As far as I know Blackstar are pretty good when it comes to cabs, I've never tried one though. Gus G uses Blackstar amps so I'd imagine they're good.
My Gear:

Bass:
Peavey Grind NTB 6 (6 string)
Cort Action Bass (4 string)
Roland Cube 30 amp
Boss ODB3 Overdrive

Guitar:
Ibanez JS100
Peavey Vyper amp
Korg Toneworks AX3000G multieffects
Dunlop Cry Baby 535Q Wah
Big Muff
I work at my town's music shop and its really fun since the owner is cool. One thing that helped me was I tuned the guitars all the time so when customers asked about them I could tell them a lot about em. Just be as friendly as possible, know as much as you can, and make it worth the customers' time to be there.
Favorite Gear

-Aria PE Anniversary
--Roland JC-120
---S101 ES-335
----S101 5 String
-----Ashdown MAG

Quote by thanksgiving
1. Talk to her friends.
2. Then talk to her
3. Invite her out on a date
4.??????????????
5. Jail
Quote by 09phillt
Sorry, typo. 1200-watt. The Groove.

And you didn't do it, why? I'm an ugly **** and woulda done it regardless. Economy is tough, and free stuff is free stuff.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
"Trans Princess". You're bitching over nothing, and you know it.
Example: (product goes here) is realy good its got "good shit goes here" "then price" "then offer 2nd option"

that's pretty much it
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote by noob888
I love you for that thread...

Quote by MightyAl
I am now mentally scarred by the image of Peter Crouch getting penalised.
Quote by Assid Rane
And you didn't do it, why? I'm an ugly **** and woulda done it regardless. Economy is tough, and free stuff is free stuff.

I probably will do it eventually, but there's a girl I like that works near where I was supposed to walk soo......
Quote by 09phillt
I probably will do it eventually, but there's a girl I like that works near where I was supposed to walk soo......

...it's a win win situation!
Quote by conor-figgy
...it's a win win situation!

Not sure if I agree with your loogic, but if I wear undies I can have the 4x10 and the head. The 15" is only £150, may do that...
see what they'll offer if you just wear a male "bikini-style" underwear
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
"Trans Princess". You're bitching over nothing, and you know it.
I sometimes work in one, I mainly just drink cups of tea and sell flute polishers to little girls.
I'm in the saem position. Did so last year too. My advice:

~If there's anything scripted, get it down perfect. if you're just reading a script or are reaching for lines, it shows. Learn the lines well, then put your own spin on, and people will be much more engaging.
~Talk loud. Don't shout, but nine of ten people aren't going to want the teenaged temp working with them; they'll want an adult, full-time employee or their good buddy Steve McBoughtfrombefore. If you're talking in a little voice they can barely hear, they're going to try to intimidate you for a better deal. If you talk loud, they'll listen to you, as generally people talk quieter when they're unsure.
~Don't hesitate from giving them a deal. If you give them a good deal, they'll keep coming back. A cheaper customer for life is better than an expensive one-time buyer. Obviously don't just lay over and let them get what they want, but give them some room.
~Don't pester. Nobody likes a salesman who asks you if you want to buy every ten seconds.
~Be happy and be friendly. Honest people with nothing to lose have nothing to be worried about. Even if you do, if you make it look like you don't they'll listen to you more.
~Never say "If", "Maybe" "do you want to". If you give them the option verbally, they'll be more inclined to say no than if you say it as if it isn't an option. For example, if you're writing them up on a contract, they'll be more likely to say yes to an extended warranty if you say "We have a coverage plan to protect the instrument for __ years. Sign here." than if you say "We offer an extended warranty. Would you like to sign up for it?" Technically you never say it's mandatory, so everything's legit, and generally you can't get the extended warranty after the first month of ownership, so you can bet if you get two salesmen who sell the same number of instruments, they'll keep the guy who gets more people to sign for the warranty.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54