I hope I posted this in the right forum, if not; I am sorry, I tried to find the most relevant place to post it.

Anyway, I have this riff, and I've made it a habit to save all my riffs into GP to better remember them. But I have big problems finding the proper rhythm for my riff. I don't know how to get the exact rhythm in GP. I've tried triplets, which isnt completely right, and I've tried just 16th notes, which isnt right, so I'm stumped, and I hope someone here can help me with it.

The riff is basically a little chugging-riff. It's just 7h9h10 on the F-string (Drop C-tuning), then goes to chugging on the open low C, and I count the rhythm as "123123123123". I can try to record it, but as of now it's quite hard for me to do it, and it's driving me insane that I can't find the proper answer.

Hope someone can help me.

- Kergash
Gear:
ESP Horizon II
LTD EC-1000
Ibanez MDB1

Morgan BC40
Koch Twintone II

Quote by -xCaMRocKx-

YouTube: more morons than Yahoo Answers and more hate than 4chan. It's the Internet's premier breeding ground of complete idiocy.
try 2 32nd notes then a 16th. Or if that is too fast 2 16ths then an 8th.

edit: your description is pretty vague, so you may need a different time sig.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Last edited by sacamano79 at Aug 21, 2010,
If your time signature/tempo is definitely right, then try using dotted or tied notes. What I do when I have issues with getting a rhythm is, to do it in small bits. I'll do just a couple notes at a time until I get it spot on. I tap my finger along with how it *should* sound and see where it's off. Sometimes I know exactly how it ends though, so I can put that in then mess with the start.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
Thanks, I've tried changing my Time Signature to 9/8, and it seems to work kinda. But I'm still having some trouble. I'll try to record what I'm playing and get it up on my profile here, so you can hear it. I also noticed I wrote something wrong in the OP, it was "123123123"chugs in the low C, so, 9, not 12. But yeah, gimme 5minutes and I'll try to record and get it up online.
Gear:
ESP Horizon II
LTD EC-1000
Ibanez MDB1

Morgan BC40
Koch Twintone II

Quote by -xCaMRocKx-

YouTube: more morons than Yahoo Answers and more hate than 4chan. It's the Internet's premier breeding ground of complete idiocy.
Alright, I got it uploaded, though beware, it is recorded with my mobilephone. :p But yeah, its on my profile now, called "Chuggychug".
Gear:
ESP Horizon II
LTD EC-1000
Ibanez MDB1

Morgan BC40
Koch Twintone II

Quote by -xCaMRocKx-

It almost sounds like it's with a 'swing' type rhythm. I'll try to work it out.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Quote by FacetOfChaos
It almost sounds like it's with a 'swing' type rhythm. I'll try to work it out.

Thanks man ^^ But I miracilously found it out myself. It's just 16th notes with an heavy accentuated note at the 1st, then 4th, 7th etc.
Gear:
ESP Horizon II
LTD EC-1000
Ibanez MDB1

Morgan BC40
Koch Twintone II

Quote by -xCaMRocKx-

Okay
I had gotten something like dotted 16th, 16h, dotted 16th etc. et 138 = Q.
Rhythms are always like a puzzle to figure out. Sometimes a very difficult puzzle
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It sounds to me like it is 6/8 time. Have you tried putting it into GP with only palm muting the open c notes. The 7h9h10 part should be open and lead into an open c note palm muted. I think that all the notes should be the same length. I would try putting the notes in as eighth note triplets. I think your playing it at a tempo of about 150 bpm. See if this makes it sound right.

6/8 time, triplet eighth notes with open c palm mute
Appreciate you doing all this to help me, man! ^^
But yeah, rhythms are a bitch sometimes. :p I've been having a lot of trouble with them before, and I still have trouble with some of them still. :b
Gear:
ESP Horizon II
LTD EC-1000
Ibanez MDB1

Morgan BC40
Koch Twintone II

Quote by -xCaMRocKx-