Hey guys. I live in India. I'm 16, I have no intention of going into music full-time. Its just a hobby for me, and i am playing guitars for a band which is just starting off.

I play metalcore and deathcore and almost all the bands i listen to are 6-string bands. I play stuff ranging from august burns red to veil of maya.

I own a Schecter C-1 Blackjack ATX. I was wondering if i should buy a 7 string guitar. will it help me ? a lot of people here play djent and experimental stuff and even metalcore and hardcore and they all want 7 strings or already own them. im not really into djent.

Do you think it makes sense for me to buy a 7 string guitar ? will it help me in any way with what i want to play , that is Metalcore and Deathcore ? Will it just be a waste of money considering i already have a 6 string which is really good and suits the genre?

My parents are going to the USA in september so they have the chance to buy a 7 string from there since its cheaper than it is here. They dont mind buying the C-7 version of my ATX.

Please advise me on what to do.
Well its all experimental. You can obviously get the metalcore tunings and stuff on a 6 string guitar. The extra string will help you get lower tunings but its up to you.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Well it comes down to whether you'll play it or not. We can't tell you if you will. But buying a 7 string was one of my greatest decisions. And it is good for deathcore because you can play drop A for bands like Chelsea Smile, Suicide Silence, The Acacia Strain, and Whitechapel, all of which play 7 strings.
Quote by Demonikk
Disco break!

Quote by Julz127
Make sure you put me in your citations at the end. Or at least in your sig.
If you don't really want one, don't buy one. I'm pretty sure only Steve Vai should be allowed to play a 7 string anyways, no one else can run out of stuff to play on just six strings. A 7 string guitar isn't going to "help" you with anything, its just an extra string on the guitar. Unless you plan on playing a lot of stuff that requires a 7string guitar, don't buy one. (Not that many bands use them anyways.) Its entirely up to you, but it sounds like you don't actually want to get one, so don't.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

I acctually bought a 7-string guitar TODAY! Reason I bought it is to simply go B-E-A-D-G-B-E tuning (or lower) I fancy the standard tuning, but also playing heavy riffs with a detuned guitar. And with a extra string, I can simply do that while doing solos in standard tuning. And that is basicly it. Model is LTD Viper 417.
Quote by Danjo's Guitar
If you don't really want one, don't buy one. I'm pretty sure only Steve Vai should be allowed to play a 7 string anyways, no one else can run out of stuff to play on just six strings. A 7 string guitar isn't going to "help" you with anything, its just an extra string on the guitar. Unless you plan on playing a lot of stuff that requires a 7string guitar, don't buy one. (Not that many bands use them anyways.) Its entirely up to you, but it sounds like you don't actually want to get one, so don't.

What a load of rubbish.

Only Steve Vai can find enough stuff to play on a 7? Pull your head out of your ass.

All a 7 string does, is give you lower tunings, while allowing you to have the 6 strings of a standard tuned guitar. The high E string is an octave above the low E, well on a 7 string, you have a low B which is an octave down from the B on a 6 string. You don't get anything more, you just get one more low string if you want to play in B standard or lower.

My band uses 7 string guitars because yes, I do use ALL 7 strings, especially for sweeping, and 7 string guitars have a longer scale and give better tone than a 6 string tuned to the same tuning.

So yes, if you want to play low tuned stuff and think you'll use all 7 strings, get one. I ONLY have a 7 string. As in, I do not own a 6 string anymore.

And FTR, The Acacia Strain play 6 strings pre Wormwood, and 8 strings post Wormwood.
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser C7 - EMG81-7 bridge, EMG707 neck.

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Hughes and Kettner 4x12
Its your choice. The extended range available with the extra string is nice, but keep in mind once you go 7 string its hard to go back. Those 6 strings will feel like toys compared to the 7 when you pick them up.
Quote by |Matt|

And FTR, The Acacia Strain play 6 strings pre Wormwood, and 8 strings post Wormwood.

I thought they used the on "The Dead Walk" and I knew about the 8 strings on Wormwood, but I'm probably wrong about the 7-strings. Thank you for the clarification.
Quote by Demonikk
Disco break!

Quote by Julz127
Make sure you put me in your citations at the end. Or at least in your sig.
so should i sell my 6 string ATX and buy a 7 string or should I keep my 6 string and also buy a 7 string ? Will my 6 string still be useful to me after i buy a 7 ?
I really like ERGs. However, if you arent going to to use the full range of the ERG, then there is no point in buying one. The advantage of a 7 string is you get to keep the full range of a 6 string tuned in standard E, while also gaining the low notes of a 6 string tuned Standard B. If you never use those high notes, then you are probably better off downtuning your 6 string.

also consider you might like the wider neck, i know i do
Quote by Aditya_ram
so should i sell my 6 string ATX and buy a 7 string or should I keep my 6 string and also buy a 7 string ? Will my 6 string still be useful to me after i buy a 7 ?

Or maybe you can buy the 7 string and keep your 6 string, then sell your 6 string if you think its trash compared to the 7 string. Or you can buy 7 string, keep the 6 string. Then sell the 7 string if you dont like it. Complicated? Hell yea
Quote by |Matt|

The high E string is an octave above the low E

What a load of rubbish.
part of the "Right-handed guitarists that are actually Left-handed otherwise " group
Generally a 7string is good for playing heavy low-tuning riffs (thanks to the low B), and high-pitch solos (Thanks to the standard tuning). If you don't play solos, then it's a nonsense to buy a 7-string, just detune on your 6 string.
Proudly endorsed by Kamecki Guitars and WBgear!

My guitars:
-B.C Rich NJ Jr.V Deluxe (6 string guitar)
-Kamecki Custom V guitar
Quote by Milumetal
Or maybe you can buy the 7 string and keep your 6 string, then sell your 6 string if you think its trash compared to the 7 string. Or you can buy 7 string, keep the 6 string. Then sell the 7 string if you dont like it. Complicated? Hell yea

+1

Just see which one you like better. Personally, it's to many strings for me. I'm more of a 6 string man myself. But it's all in personal taste. Like Milumetal said, Buy the 7 string and keep your 6 string. If you like it better than your 6 string sell the 6 string. If you don't like your 7 string, sell the 7 string, and you'll still have your 6 string guitar.

And second, make sure you make a good choice on a guitar you're comfortable with. Don't buy something that you're not comfortable with, and will get to be annoying to play.
Quote by Aditya_ram
... My parents are going to the USA in september so they have the chance to buy a 7 string from there since its cheaper than it is here. They dont mind buying the C-7 version of my ATX. ...
Do it!

The neck profile will be similar to your ATX; but, slightly wider.

If it's not for you, you'll be able to flip it for nice profit.

Quote by pero_o
What a load of rubbish.

hes right its actually 2 octaves the 24th fret on low E is equal to the open high E same goes for the Low B and high B