I am about to oder 4 sppeakers for a cab i have,
I use a peavey 6505+ 112 combo, but will be running it to the cabinet instead of using the internal speaker.

so.. do I order 4 16 ohm speakers? then run the cab at 4 ohms?

is there a different sound per ohms? opower rating, anything i should know about?

the amp is selectable, 4, 8 or 16 ohms
doesn't really matter as your adjusting the amp to match.
You can do any of these:
4x16ohm wired parallel+4 ohm
2 groups of 2x16 ohm speakers. each group wired parallel, then the groups wired in series= 16 ohms
Same as above with 8 ohm speakers = 8ohm

Don't mix ohm ratings on your speakers.

There can be some slight differences with different versions of speakers. Sometimes more or less sensitive, but usually not a HUGE change. e.g. Eminence "Wizards"...8ohm=103dB @ 1watt/meter 16ohm=103.6dB @ 1watt/meter. A difference, but not a noticeable one.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
its all your preference, but i usually run 4 4 ohm speakers then you could wire it for 4 or 16 ohm with 8 ohm stereo. of course you could do the same thing with 4 16 ohm speakers with slightly different wiring.
hmm i guess im going to have to learn different ways to wire them up, but here was my play,

4 16 ohm speakers, all positives wired together and all negatives wired together..
is that series? and it will run at 4 ohms that way correct?

also is the main reason for selecting your ohms just so you can run other compatable amps to the cabinet?
Quote by Cisc
hmm i guess im going to have to learn different ways to wire them up, but here was my play,

4 16 ohm speakers, all positives wired together and all negatives wired together..
is that series? and it will run at 4 ohms that way correct?

also is the main reason for selecting your ohms just so you can run other compatable amps to the cabinet?

Thats called parallel, but you are correct in that it will get you to 4 ohms

@311ZOSOVHJH Pictures ARE worth 1000 words. Exactly what I was trying to say
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
oh ok i see, in the first diagram there, if all speakers are 16 ohms, and I wire to that diagram, It will be a 16 ohm cab correct?

that would be good since my internal speaker is @16 ohms also, i wouldnt have to worry about setting the switch every time i connect to the cab or just run on the 1x12 built in.
Also if it is wired at 16 ohms, could i use my internal speaker as well at the same time? probably wouldnt, but would be neat to know if i could just in case.
the amp has 2 speaker outputs

Sorry for all the questions guys, i want to research before I spend you know, make sure of what I want.
Last edited by Cisc at Aug 21, 2010,
Im sorry, I dont really understand the formulas at the bottom, I know they are divisions of what im assuming to be 8 and 16 ohm speakers.

I guess the bottom formula is: (all 16 ohm speakers) 2x8 ohm series tied together to create 16 ohms?

Im just going to follow that wireing diagram (top) with 16 ohm speakers, that will get me a 16 ohm cabinet i believe..