http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUPx42UmSng&feature=related

Lately I've been hearing this and I think this piece is brilliant. I know the original one (Orchestral Suite No. 3 in D major, BWV 1068) of course but this arrangement does the job (even though it's not in D major; this arrangement is in C).

I've been trying to analyse what's behind this music. One of the things I found out is how Bach creates this "falling down" effect when the music starts. He changes the chords' basses. E.g. the two starting chords are C and C/B; the other two chords are Am and Am/G, what a brilliant idea!

Do you know the entire chord progression in this music?
What other tricks do Bach use in this piece in order to make it sound like this?
Last edited by Duarteman at Aug 21, 2010,
The "falling down" effect is because he's changing the bases. But more specifically, he's using a descending baseline. C --> B, then A --> G.

And wouldn't Am/G be Am7/G, because Am doesn't contain a G, Am7 does.

This video might be of some help to you. It's a nice visual representation of the piece. It's what I could find with a quick search on the Internet.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Knowing the composition but never analysed it or seen sheet of it..

This piece has a bit of a 'free time' feel to it.. with certain notes coming in just slighty before or after giving it a certain stress.

The motif is pretty simple, but it's the timing variations that give it that melancholic expression me thinks.
The piece starts with a I I7d vi vi7d IV7 progression, the descending bassline contributes to what you described as a falling effect.

A II7b then leads to V and continues the descending bass going V7d to iiid7 to VI7b to ii ...blah blah

Bach also uses suspensions and other harmonic and melodic decoration which may add to the falling effect since most of those resolve downwards.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Aug 21, 2010,