Browsing around teh intarwebz for a new set of headphones I found this:

http://www.datakits.co.uk/store//tl-audio-fatman-itube-valve-dock-and-amplifier-for-ipod-p-2582.html?osCsid=0ii78ioi1ectc3m0mgj75s4m32

Is this or is this not really pointless? Is it just a marketing scam for idiots or actually a valid way of increasing your listening pleasure from an iPod?

What does the pit think of it?

For those who cba with links:

It's an iPod dock with a tube amp...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
hahaaaaa. this is so stupid. okayyy. get lossy mp3's on your ipod and dock it with your "ipod tube amp". the best would be to only hear 128 kb/s over this.
Last edited by The Chauffeur at Aug 21, 2010,
i guarantee some idiot bought it and when a tube went out he just threw it away because he thought it was broken.
I think it's a nice idea,

Especially if you're into your music.

Combined with some nice speaker they'd be epic. Mmmm bowers & wilkins

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Stupid.

but iPad is one of the most useless gadgets.
Last edited by Sixty9 at Aug 21, 2010,
omfg

-jizz
Music is not the Olympics. It's not a sport; it's a form of expression. There is no such thing as bad music. There may be music that you personally don't like, but if you don't like it, don't listen to it.." Eddie Van Halen
maybe on a lossless format and some nice speakers
bet someone threw it out after a tube went out
Quote by Chrisiphone

but it'll only make sence if you have some lossless music like flac or alac on your ipod. shitty sounding mp3's wouldn't sound better with this tube amp thing.
It's supposed to add warmth to the audio signal that would otherwise be lacking due to the signal being well digital.

It's also made by TL Audio, a very well respected company not to mention recieved fairly good reviews in What Hifi Sound and Vision.

(No I do not work for the company)
Last edited by So-Cal at Aug 21, 2010,

pretty much summarised in the first panel.

Quote by So-Cal
It's supposed to add warmth to the audio signal that would otherwise be lacking due to the signal being well digital.

so you're going to take a digital signal, turn it analogue, run it through a tube, and THAT's supposed to add more warmth?

AUDIO DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY

GOOD NIGHT
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Aug 21, 2010,

I'm sorry, i can't hear your baby kid's toy, mine has real tubes, not digital shit.
MORBO!!!!
Pitiful Humans and their toys!

Tonight at eleven, DOOOOOOM!!!!
I guarantee it would sound great with some lossless audio. I don't get why you guys are bashing it so much regardless of it having a digital signal, it's still a tube amp stereo that it's running it through. You use digital effects through tube amps don't you? Right. So why is it so useless to have a nice sounding ipod dock?

Quote by Chrisiphone

Tube amps aren't meant to give you accurate recreations of the input.
totally putting kt88's in that thing for teh br00talz
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by SaintsofNowhere
I guarantee it would sound great with some lossless audio. I don't get why you guys are bashing it so much regardless of it having a digital signal, it's still a tube amp stereo that it's running it through. You use digital effects through tube amps don't you? Right. So why is it so useless to have a nice sounding ipod dock?

Actually I try not to use digital effects where I can.

I don't understand it because any self-respecting audiophile wouldn't be using an iPod in the first place and I very much doubt anyone else is going to shell out for a tube amp.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^ Feeling.

Lots of people in the dubstep uses vinyl. Why I'm not sure
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Hitler could have been aborted
Quote by supersac
maybe on a lossless format and some nice speakers
bet someone threw it out after a tube went out

No! You don't want to hear music that has been already mixed to be coloured by a tube. Theres a reason PA systems and hi fis try to not colour the sound.
Quote by rickyj
i guarantee some idiot bought it and when a tube went out he just threw it away because he thought it was broken.

I like people who think that even a broken string is unfixable.
Arms Of Empire
^ ^ ^ Band I am involved in ^ ^ ^
Please check it out? ;D

Axe FX II + EBMM JP6 + Jackson DK2S
Quote by captaincrunk
Tube amps aren't meant to give you accurate recreations of the input.

I never said they did or didn't

I'd prefer listening through a valve amplifier to warm it up, I don't like cold and digital.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
That looks like crap.
Quote by rickyj

Most likely
Quote by BigBigWater
I like people who think that even a broken string is unfixable.

There are people who think that?
Quote by EMGPWNS

What is that?
Impossible is just a word people say to make themselves feel better when they quit.
Vyse the Legend
Quote by ricanboyguitar

What is that?

I think its something that cleans scratches off of disks.

Either that or I could be giving it far to much credit and it simply does what it says on the tin, which would make far more sense in the context of the thread.
Quote by babakkatt
Whats wrong with asking a girl what kind of cheese she likes?

LOUD NOISES
Quote by Zoot Allures
Theres a reason PA systems and hi fis try to not colour the sound.

And i colour sounds any way i wish with equalizers.

CPU >--- 20 band Eq >--- 600w Stereo

BAM!

no need for some P.O.S. tube dock
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Quote by frnzd
I think its something that cleans scratches off of disks.

Either that or I could be giving it far to much credit and it simply does what it says on the tin, which would make far more sense in the context of the thread.

I'm pretty sure you should go with what is actually written on it and what makes sense in the thread, bud.

Quote by EMGPWNS

i lol'd
Quote by stratdud39

i just facepalmed your facepalm

Quote by whalepudding
Hitler has been a villain in more films and ruined more hairstyles by association alone than any other suggestions.