Well, I am looking at different amps, since my birthday is in less than a month, this is the perfect time to finally ask here which one is recommended for me. I want a decent live amp, that isn't too expenisive, but it is for a band situation, since I am going to be a guitarist for a band very soon. I am looking for something that is good for rock/metal styles. I appreciate any help.

Also, can someone reccomend me a good EQ? Also, this might be stupid, but why do you need EQ when you already EQ on the amp? I really never understood that at myself

EDIT!!: What do you guys think of Blackstar, do think they would work? I don't mean the 1000$ dollar ones, but... I would like to hear opinions.
Last edited by TomusAM at Aug 21, 2010,
I've heard good/bad about the HT-5. The Blackstar Venue series sound alright though. Not stellar rock tone, but definitely very usable and with a speaker swap and an overdrive pedal I've heard the HT-20 become an absolute metal monster.

As for EQ, I've got no suggestions. I've been completely satisfied using the EQ on my amps.
Gear
3rd Power Amplification HD100
Splawn Competition
Marshall 1987x
Vox AC30C2

Charvel San Dimas 1 2H
2008 Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Strat

Check out my YouTube channel!
Last edited by baf250 at Aug 21, 2010,
Generic response:

Budget?
Genres?
New or Used?
Home of Gig? (both?)
Current Gear?
Closest City?

MRX 10 band if you have $100 plus
Danoelectic Fish n Chips 7 band if you have $30 plus

EQs pedals are great because they extend the variables of the amp. EQ the amp first, then the pedal

Get a spider amp dey iz BR00+15

NOTEPAD > GUITAR PRO

Ask me questions.

I will answer them.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!

My average day(In order):
I always thought you should eq the amp at all 5's or even 10's to get the fullest amp tone and then shape your tone with an eq in the effects loop. I may be wrong but this always makes a better tone for me.
Quote by JimmyWhereUGo
Get a spider amp dey iz BR00+15

somehow this kind of sarcacm doesn't get old

anyway, to TS, answer 311's questions and we can narrow it down for you

Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Btw, I vote for a used peavey classic 50 212, mxr 10 band, and a tubescreamer or something similar. This would be around 500-600 us$$.
Quote by baf250
I've heard good/bad about the HT-5. The Blackstar Venue series sound alright though. Not stellar rock tone, but definitely very usable and with a speaker swap and an overdrive pedal I've heard the HT-20 become an absolute metal monster.

As for EQ, I've got no suggestions. I've been completely satisfied using the EQ on my amps.

I use a MXR Distortion+, so that won't be a problem. Thanks, man I'll check it out.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Generic response:

Budget? Around up to 400$
Genres? Rock/ Metal,Some of My favorite guitarists are RR, EVH, James Hetfield and Jake E. Lee, if that helps.
New or Used? Either way, it's fine really.
Home of Gig? (both?) I already have a small practice amp, so mainly for gigs.
Current Gear? MXR Distortion+ and EVH Phase 90. Also a LesPaul Replica.
Closest City? San Antoino is fairly close to where I live.

MRX 10 band if you have $100 plus
Danoelectic Fish n Chips 7 band if you have $30 plus

EQs pedals are great because they extend the variables of the amp. EQ the amp first, then the pedal

Answers in the quote, and I'll check out the EQs, thank you. So now, I know what they're for atleast.

Quote by guitardedhero
I always thought you should eq the amp at all 5's or even 10's to get the fullest amp tone and then shape your tone with an eq in the effects loop. I may be wrong but this always makes a better tone for me.

Thanks, I'll have to try that, it sounds like a good idea.
Last edited by TomusAM at Aug 21, 2010,
Dare I say, a Peavy Vypr 30? That things got all the effects you could possibly need. It's like a Spider without the gayness

P.S. I know, I play a Spider, It was one of those "gifts you cant return"
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.

I would suggest a Peavey XXX or Ultra, although I'm biased since I own one, it'll get you the tones you need for sure, and has more gain than you'll ever need. It has a very responsive active EQ for the crunch/lead channels and I hear an EQ in the loop opens up even more possibilities.

You might have to stretch your budget for those though, as they go between 400-600 used. Bugera makes a clone (333xl) that you might want to try out as well since it's a bit cheaper.
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Quote by edbert
I would suggest a Peavey XXX or Ultra, although I'm biased since I own one, it'll get you the tones you need for sure, and has more gain than you'll ever need. It has a very responsive active EQ for the crunch/lead channels and I hear an EQ in the loop opens up even more possibilities.

You might have to stretch your budget for those though, as they go between 400-600 used. Bugera makes a clone (333xl) that you might want to try out as well since it's a bit cheaper.

Thanks, I'll have to look more into that.

Quote by NickGiovanni
Dare I say, a Peavy Vypr 30? That things got all the effects you could possibly need. It's like a Spider without the gayness

P.S. I know, I play a Spider, It was one of those "gifts you cant return"

Just wondering, what is so bad about spiders? Well, besides the distortion on some of them. Couldn't that just be taken care of with a pedal?
Quote by TomusAM
Thanks, I'll have to look more into that.

Just wondering, what is so bad about spiders? Well, besides the distortion on some of them. Couldn't that just be taken care of with a pedal?

Get the MXR M-108, wont need another eq ever.
Seriously, the spider isn't at all the worst amp in the universe, just rediculously priced for how shit it sounds.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Last edited by R.D at Aug 21, 2010,