Hey i was thinking of making a custom fret board that is half ebony and half maple diagonally. Do you guys have any pictures of this? How difficult would it be to make compared to a regular fretboard?
Thankyou everyone
I can't think of any examples, with the exact specs you mentioned, but I'm pretty sure I've seen some expensive custom basses with a 3 piece neck, where the fingerboard matches the neck wood, so it is possible.
Conklin mas made plenty of basses with crazy three-woods-swirled-into-each-other fretboards.
Quote by the hirsh
Hey i was thinking of making a custom fret board that is half ebony and half maple diagonally. Do you guys have any pictures of this? How difficult would it be to make compared to a regular fretboard?
Thankyou everyone

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/8060-smt-giants-of-metal-jamie-humphries.html
this is and instructional book i own, the fretboard seems to be what you're talking about only the other side is rosewood, not maple. No idea on build difficulty though.
Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Joeseffel

Quote by smcstoronto1234

So very true...
I suspect it's more popular with boutique basses than guitars, some companies do it a lot but I really can't remember who right now...
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
The problem with combining maple and ebony is the maple needs a hard finish, whereas the ebony should be left raw.
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
its possible, and it's been done.

personally i think the best looking inlays on earth are bird's eye maple with undyed ebony inlays or the other way around.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by Mike-T93
The problem with combining maple and ebony is the maple needs a hard finish, whereas the ebony should be left raw.

you don't have to leave ebony raw. it is wood, therefore it can be finished.

Yep, it's been done on USA production guitars. I bet it's a bitch trying to set up those inlays in that split fretboard...

EDIT: Sry for the ginormous picture in the original post lol
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Aug 21, 2010,
I don't think it would be hard at all. just glue a piece of maple to a piece of ebony in the same way you would do a 2 or 3 piece body. then cut diagonally with whatever saw you want it would be easy if it has a fence.
no sir away a papaya war is on