Hey there.

I went to my local guitar shop, with the idea to buy a cabinet for my soon to arrive head.

i want to go for a 4x12, and had some cabs picked out which were affordable.

now one of em was the Marshall MG412A, but they had a M412A on stock for an affordable price.

is thera ny difference? the guy said the M was just a newer version of the MG.

also, any other cab options for that price range?

Bingt.
if I were you, I'd try to look for a good used cab. You can get a good Marshall 1960 cab at a pretty decent price used. Sure, it might be a little scraped up but it will sound awesome. The MG cabs I hear are not all that great sounding.

What amp head did you get?
What head have you ordered? Because from a past attempt I found that the MG range cabs don't work with heads outside the MG range. Look for a 1960, A or B (A is angled and B is bolt upright) as they are the classic Marshall cabs.
Last edited by Engel22 at Aug 21, 2010,
Someone's gonna come in in a few minutes and make me look retarded, but here's my view.

A cab has three things that matter. Wood, Dimensions of the box, and speakers. The speakers make an obvious difference. Dimensions make a difference, it's weird math stuff, but it does. And wood makes a difference.

Will you notice a difference past the speakers? I highly doubt it unless it's a shitty shitty shittily built cab from cardboard in whatever the worst dimensions to build one are.

Beyond that, I know that my friend's MG cab sounds like shit compared to my bugera with Vintage 30's in it. It's the kind of thing I think I'm the only one who notices though but I'm very sure if you put the same speakers in it I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Moral of the story, there's 100 things before it that make a bigger difference like your guitar's construction, pickups, EQ, The head itself. And don't get an MG anything. If you got an MG and upgraded the speakers, you could just get a decent cab in the first place.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Last edited by Lt.DanHasLegs at Aug 21, 2010,
kay, fair enough. the head is the epiphone so cal, finally.

i'll go test out some more cabs, and see if there's a big difference. My budget only goed up to €300. Any ideas?
I'd recommend getting a used marshall 1960a as previously said or check out the harley benton range

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
Quote by Lt.DanHasLegs
Someone's gonna come in in a few minutes and make me look retarded, but here's my view.

A cab has three things that matter. Wood, Dimensions of the box, and speakers. The speakers make an obvious difference. Dimensions make a difference, it's weird math stuff, but it does. And wood makes a difference.

Will you notice a difference past the speakers? I highly doubt it unless it's a shitty shitty shittily built cab from cardboard in whatever the worst dimensions to build one are.

Second paragraph is correct. Third paragraph is completely balls-to-the-wall wrong.

Construction makes an enormous difference, for example ported vs. non-ported, open-back vs. closed-back. You WILL notice a difference. The deeper the cab the more space it takes up, thus more bass. The tighter the joints, the less air escaping out the back (and thus increasing the directionality of the sound, giving it more oomph) etc.

The cab is nearly as important as the head. Cheap out on a cabinet and you'll get a shit sound, but without a head you won't get sound at all.

OP, look into the Framus 212, Orange 212, or the Harley Benton G212 Vintage. They're all around the same price and have the same speakers.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Aug 21, 2010,
If you only have 300€, you'll have a hard time finding a decent 4x12". If you're lucky, you'll find a Marshall 1960 or Framus Dragon 4x12" used for that price, but it's not likely to happen.

Your best bet is probably to get a 2x12", since it's better to have a good 2x12" than a bad 4x12". A Framus 2x12" is 300€ new and nice for what it costs, on the used market you can find Marshall 1922 or some of the better H&K cabs for that price. Some Laney cabs come equipped with Vintage 30s, look out for those as well.
Don't get an MG... Just please don't.

They suck first of all, because like all MG series stuff, they're just built horribly. The speakers they put in them are also voiced specifically for MG series amps. They will sound decent with an MG series amp, but will sound like crap with just about anything else. I'd go with other peoples' advice and seriously look into used Marshall, Mesa, Orange, etc. cabs. You'll thank everyone for it later.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
Ya look used. And make sure and try before buying. I was looking for cab a while back, and decided I would just make one. Not too hard, and a heck of a lot cheaper. I have around $130-$150 in mine so far. Sounds great!
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
I tried out a Marshall 1960a and it sounded pretty bad to me. Maybe, I got a lemon, though, who knows.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
If you can't get some form of 1960, don't bother.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
maybe gor for a 2x12?
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Quote by Cathbard
If you can't get some form of 1960, don't bother.

This. The other Marshall cabs are just embarrassing.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
To all the people saying that Marshall MG Cabs only work with Marshall MG's....... Get a clue.

I have run my Rig through Marshall MG Cabs, JVM Cabs, Fender frontman cabs and of course my own ENGL Cab. All of them sound different but they all work....

To TS. Same as people have already said, if you cannot get a Marshall 1960 cab, dont bother. The MG cabs sound pretty flat and have no real balls to them. They kind of sound like my ENGL Cab but with 2 inch thick cardboard infront of the speakers.

Frontman cabs however are worse. They give you this horribly harsh tin can kind of sound.

Seriously do not cheap out on your cab, if you have to save some more money then so be it!
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Last edited by Talentless at Aug 22, 2010,
Quote by Raijouta
The cab is nearly as important as the head. Cheap out on a cabinet and you'll get a shit sound, but without a head you won't get sound at all.

OP, look into the Framus 212, Orange 212, or the Harley Benton G212 Vintage. They're all around the same price and have the same speakers.

This!!
Quote by Talentless
To all the people saying that Marshall MG Cabs only work with Marshall MG's....... Get a clue.

I have run my Rig through Marshall MG Cabs, JVM Cabs, Fender frontman cabs and of course my own ENGL Cab. All of them sound different but they all work....

We're not saying that they don't *work* with other heads, it just that the speakers that Marshall puts in them are voiced to work with them. You CAN use any head with the cab providing you match the impedance correctly, but it doesn't change the fact that it'll still sound like dildos...
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
Quote by AxSilentxLine
1960AV > 1960A but price is also >

I had a AV cab and I much prefer the 1960a over the av.

I wouldn't say one is greater then the other when it's basically just preference.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
Quote by Lt.DanHasLegs

I thought pretty much the same thing until I tried a Mesa 4x12 with vintage 30's next to my old Crate 4x12 with vintage 30's with the same head, same settings, same guitar.

I was pretty surprised in the difference. The low end was the biggest difference, but the Mesa was all together more present. It sounded better for sure.

Its not "night and day" but it sounds significantly different, more than one might think.
/rig
Quote by Karlboy
We're not saying that they don't *work* with other heads, it just that the speakers that Marshall puts in them are voiced to work with them. You CAN use any head with the cab providing you match the impedance correctly, but it doesn't change the fact that it'll still sound like dildos...

I agree they will sound like dildos but there was someone who said they wouldn't work... ahh here it is.

Quote by Engel22
What head have you ordered? Because from a past attempt I found that the MG range cabs don't work with heads outside the MG range. Look for a 1960, A or B (A is angled and B is bolt upright) as they are the classic Marshall cabs.

Tut Tut!

All cabs work with all heads as long as they have a speaker jack and the impedance matches.
My Gear

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by Talentless
I agree they will sound like dildos but there was someone who said they wouldn't work... ahh here it is.

Tut Tut!

All cabs work with all heads as long as they have a speaker jack and the impedance matches.

I think you may be taking him a wee bit too literally there.
Personally I'd say that they don't work with an MG either
Again, don't take that literally.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 22, 2010,
Quote by steven seagull

This is a very good option. I'm not familiar with the head though.
A good 2x12 will have more clarity, presence and warmth than a rubbish 4x12. I usually gig my Cornford or Hiwatt with 2x12's and get a massive sound.
Granted the Cornford's a combo, so I'm actually running 4 speakers with the ext cab.
The point remains... you won't miss having a shitty 4x12.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by Cathbard
I think you may be taking him a wee bit too literally there.
Personally I'd say that they don't work with an MG either
Again, don't take that literally.

Fair enough, point taken.

However from that point of view the MG range just doesn't work full stop
My Gear

Stinnett M7 in the works