You guys are probably tired of me by now but I finally have my budget to buy a new amp (money in hand) and I'm down to two at this point. And they are: * drum rolls*

Fender Super Champ XD

Layne VC15-110

I play alt rock and indie. I accept more suggestions though I'd like to know your opinions on these. Bear in mind I want tubes and that my budget stretches to 400€ tops. So please help!
Quote by Sinister Waffle
Who pirates Winrar? that has to be the most passive aggressive program I've ever seen.

"hey you should really buy me, the 40 days is up"
* hits X button*
" Oh okay, maybe next time?"

You sir have just won a thousand internets.
I've tried the Fender Super Champ XD, and I find it a horrible amp. It's not very good at all. Shrill tone and bad effects.

I also tried my friend's Laney VC30-210 with a 1x12" extension cabinet, and the clean tone on it is AWESOME.

because of that I have to say LANEY!!!
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
How much would the cabinet cost me? I understand little about that so if anyone could explain what a cabinet does when added to a combo I'd appreciate it.
Quote by Sinister Waffle
Who pirates Winrar? that has to be the most passive aggressive program I've ever seen.

* hits X button*

Quote by paquiquinho
How much would the cabinet cost me? I understand little about that so if anyone could explain what a cabinet does when added to a combo I'd appreciate it.

Well, it's just another speaker/set of speakers you can use together with your combo. Speakers vary in size and type, so if you want more depth/warmth/tightness, you can hook you amp up to an extension cabinet with bigger/more/better speakers.

but you don't HAVE to do that, it's only if you feel you need it, and you probably won't.
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
My VC gets a lot of use so I've got to recommend it.

Nice and sparkly up to 3 on the volume, and gets gritty for blues after that. Not so keen on the Drive channel, but then I;ve got a pretty good OD pedal to use instead. And it even sounds good with everything on 10, which I wasn't expecting.

Also, since it's made in the EU it's technically better value than a Fender, since they all have import taxes and stuff added on top.

The only other amps I can think of for you are all lower wattage ones like the Marshall Class 5 or the Vox AC4, but since I'm not sure what you want the amp for (just using at home or gigging/band practise too?) I;d say the Laney is still the best bet.
I suppose I'll vouch for the Super Champ XD. (I have never tried a VC15) In my opinion, the cleans are phenomenal, and it has pretty good classic rock distortion. It can be horribly shrill, but you can adjust the EQ and change the voice on it. The heavily overdriven tones on it are pretty bad in my opinion, but the rest is good. Versatile. Cheap. Good tone(s). I don't think you'll get a better practice amp for the money.
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
the thing is that the overdrive is solidstate, not tube:
Features include a real tube amp combined with up-to-date extras including versatile amp voicing and superb DSP effects. Its solid-state overdrive and distortion eliminate many of the preamp tube problems that plague tube lovers while providing exemplary tones for rock, blues, country, jazz, metal and more.
- http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=2331100000

And the tone is not very convincing imo. Plus you pay quite a load for having "Fender" written on it. The laney is nice though. Really phenomenal.
From what I've heard in youtube demos I'm sold on the Laney, but I'll still try them both. Just one thing though. SugarRush66, you say that it gets gritty after 3. I need this amp for band practice and small gigs (in bigger ones I'll get it mic'ed) so does that mean I won't get nice cleans on a volume setting, let's say around 7 (that's what I suppose will be needed to play over drums)?
Quote by Sinister Waffle

* hits X button*

My VC15 starts to break up a little when the volume is over 6... But it's so loud that I rarely go up there.
I gig with the VC-15 all the time, and it can handle stay pretty clean at gig volumes. Not pristine like a Twin, but very dynamic: play softly and it'll be totally clean, play loud and it will break up a little.

Just tested it right now with my Jaguar (which has really high output) into the 'Lo' input, and it starts breaking up around 6/7 on the volume control, which is easily enough to get over a drummer. And by 'starts to break up', I mean that it's a little gritty when you play hard, but still a lovely clean sound. Practicing with my band I rarely turn it above 3/4.

I absolutely love mine, fell back in love with it recently after a lot of GAS for other amps, and I'd highly recommend it.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Last edited by monkey_dancer at Aug 22, 2010,
Well being so I feel like I'm really going for the Laney. All the demos I've heard sound heavenly for my type of music so I'm pretty much sold.
Quote by Sinister Waffle

* hits X button*