I have a esp ltd ec 401vf (a Les Paul style guitar) and often want to play post-metal, sludge etc, however being only young (and still in college) I only have one guitar and need standard tuning for other band etc.

Will it damage the guitars neck or wear down the frets/intonation if I tune down and back up from drop Ab and C standard to E standard regularly?

Cheers Harry
[quote="'[:Harry:"]']I have a esp ltd ec 401vf (a Les Paul style guitar) and often want to play post-metal, sludge etc, however being only young (and still in college) I only have one guitar and need standard tuning for other band etc.

Will it damage the guitars neck or wear down the frets/intonation if I tune down and back up from drop Ab and C standard to E standard regularly?

Cheers Harry
No the general rule is that you have to adjust the truss rod, action, etc if it is dropped down a whole step or more. (such as from E standard to D standard) The neck will be completely out of wack and the action will be really low and hard to play.

I prefer Drop C or Bb and i need to adjust the hell out of the Bb one so good luck with the Ab
Won't hurt a thing. KnuckleheadDyl is right, though. The strings will have too much slack after a certain point, and they'll give you nothing but problems. All depends on your string gauge and action.
Cheers for replying
The odd thing that I have found is that it sounds great when downtuned and Im currently using power slinkys, which aren't exactly that heavy. I get a bit of string buzz, as expected, on the low E string but apart from that its clear.

Quite often I also use drop Bb would that be a safer option or should I just stay away from downtuning?

My brother has a beat up Jackson DK2 Dinky which I may be able to use but the setting up on the FR seems like a nightmare for something that low.
[quote="'[:Harry:"]']Cheers for replying
The odd thing that I have found is that it sounds great when downtuned and Im currently using power slinkys, which aren't exactly that heavy. I get a bit of string buzz, as expected, on the low E string but apart from that its clear.

Quite often I also use drop Bb would that be a safer option or should I just stay away from downtuning?

My brother has a beat up Jackson DK2 Dinky which I may be able to use but the setting up on the FR seems like a nightmare for something that low.

There is no bad effect on guitars with drop tuning so it shouldnt be a problem. There is just too much slack in the strings because you have not adjusted the truss rod. Try turning it 1/8 turns and check the fretboard to see if it looks straighter, if not then turn it 1/8 of a turn again and again. Also make sure to tighten the truss rod by turning it right and loosen it by turning left (i.e. if there is an underbowl then turn right and overbowl left.)
I have question for this also.

I play in tunings Drop D, Drop C#, C# Standard, Drop C, Drop B, and Drop Bb. Would have to adjust the truss rod everytime I tune my guitar from Drop B to Drop D?
Quote by its_alive
It's just like breaking up with a girl.
Explain that you'd really love to help take care of the baby, but you have to move to South Africa.
Quote by Legend Jedicsc
I have question for this also.

I play in tunings Drop D, Drop C#, C# Standard, Drop C, Drop B, and Drop Bb. Would have to adjust the truss rod everytime I tune my guitar from Drop B to Drop D?

yes because once the neck has gotten used to the low tuning, then once you tune back up, it will have an over bowl so you wont be able to hear much on the 12th fret.

I know that since Drop B to D is only a step and a half up but you'd be surprised how sensitive guitars can be to different tunings.
Quote by CarvinDC127
yes because once the neck has gotten used to the low tuning, then once you tune back up, it will have an over bowl so you wont be able to hear much on the 12th fret.

I know that since Drop B to D is only a step and a half up but you'd be surprised how sensitive guitars can be to different tunings.

Also, where is the truss rod and how to you turn it, lol.
Quote by its_alive
Explain that you'd really love to help take care of the baby, but you have to move to South Africa.
Quote by Legend Jedicsc
Also, where is the truss rod and how to you turn it, lol.

its right at the nut behind a little cover with screws. You will need some sort of alan wrench to turn it unless you have a Carvin then you will need a special sort of wrench. It's a little hard to tell what size you may need cuz many guitars have different size truss rods.

Also make sure to only turn it the direction you need to go 1/8 of a turn meaning on a clock 4 to 6 or a little less cuz i think thats a 1/6 haha
Guitars:
*Carvin DC 127
*Dean Vendetta 2.0 w/ SD Invader pup
*BSX Beast
Amp:
*Peavey Triple XXX Head
*Marshal VS412 Cabinet

The Channel of Crappy Played Metal Covers (if you're into that)
Quote by CarvinDC127
its right at the nut behind a little cover with screws. You will need some sort of alan wrench to turn it unless you have a Carvin then you will need a special sort of wrench. It's a little hard to tell what size you may need cuz many guitars have different size truss rods.

Also make sure to only turn it the direction you need to go 1/8 of a turn meaning on a clock 4 to 6 or a little less cuz i think thats a 1/6 haha

lol. Do you have to take your strings off to do it?
Quote by its_alive