Hello UG!

I've been looking around for a seven string for a while now, and the RG7321 suddenly popped up in a town close to me for a good price, if I can come and pick it up tomorrow. The condition is good etc. The only thing I'm worried about are the stock pups, as I won't have enough money to change them. I usually play 6 string, but I wanted a 7 to play around with so it's not like it would be my main guitar anyway. I don't consider myself as a beginner but certainly not as a pro either. So what I'm really asking, do you think the stock pickups would SUCK so much that I won't be able to use the guitar (not being able to get even a "ok" sound out of it)?

Thanks a lot!

EDIT:

The pickups in question are:
IBZ AH1-7 (H) Neck PU
IBZ AH2-7 (H) Bridge PU
Last edited by Panikak at Aug 21, 2010,
If you aren't going into this expecting it to be the embodiment of perfection I think you will not only be satisfied but rather surprised with what you get for the price, especially if you get a good deal. I'm not going to say Ibanez pickups are as good as the Dimarzios they clone, but they are more than acceptable from the different models I've played on. Granted, I still swapped my RG pups for Blackouts, but I still have my old V7/V8 pups in a bag in my room waiting for a project guitar because I was rather happy with them.

If you are getting it more than 20% under market price I wouldn't pass it up if it is indeed something you've been wanting. You'll thank yourself in the end for taking advantage of a deal - just make sure the condition is indeed as you think it is before paying for it so you can walk away knowing you got more than your money's worth.
Quote by AJDrac
If you aren't going into this expecting it to be the embodiment of perfection I think you will not only be satisfied but rather surprised with what you get for the price, especially if you get a good deal. I'm not going to say Ibanez pickups are as good as the Dimarzios they clone, but they are more than acceptable from the different models I've played on. Granted, I still swapped my RG pups for Blackouts, but I still have my old V7/V8 pups in a bag in my room waiting for a project guitar because I was rather happy with them.

If you are getting it more than 20% under market price I wouldn't pass it up if it is indeed something you've been wanting. You'll thank yourself in the end for taking advantage of a deal - just make sure the condition is indeed as you think it is before paying for it so you can walk away knowing you got more than your money's worth.

The price is in fact 60% of the market price, but here in Sweden the used market for guitars is really poor. But perhaps it's better to wait, will se.

Regarding the pickups, no I mean I'm in a band etc but we're nowhere near professional, we don't play gigs on a regular basis etc. So I guess I wont be that dissappointed with the pups!
I'd say if it's a good deal go for it! I got the Ibanez RG 1527 and when I was doing research on it all the reviews said the PuPs were terrible. When I got it I was expecting crap but they were actually pretty good. A little on the dull side mostly for the bridge but for the neck it sounded fine.
Quote by brandon2784
I'd say if it's a good deal go for it! I got the Ibanez RG 1527 and when I was doing research on it all the reviews said the PuPs were terrible. When I got it I was expecting crap but they were actually pretty good. A little on the dull side mostly for the bridge but for the neck it sounded fine.

Yeah I get that impression aswell, people are overexaggerating (spelling?) a little bit! The pups on my 6 string isnt that good either so I it's not like I'm used to BKPs or whatsoever. Let's hope the guy answers my email then...

Any more inputs on the guitar overall, and the pickups of course?
Quote by Panikak
The price is in fact 60% of the market price, but here in Sweden the used market for guitars is really poor. But perhaps it's better to wait, will se.

Regarding the pickups, no I mean I'm in a band etc but we're nowhere near professional, we don't play gigs on a regular basis etc. So I guess I wont be that dissappointed with the pups!
If you have a decent amp, it'll be passable. Most Ibanezes almost always require a PU upgrade. That's a decent price in Sweden, from what I've gathered from Nordic and Euro UGers. Those are typically ~$100 in the Used market here in the US.

As long as the frets and neck are in very good condition, you could go for it. We expect a HNGD thread.

Quote by Ippon
If you have a decent amp, it'll be passable. Most Ibanezes almost always require a PU upgrade. That's a decent price in Sweden, from what I've gathered from Nordic and Euro UGers. Those are typically ~$100 in the Used market here in the US.

As long as the frets and neck are in very good condition, you could go for it. We expect a HNGD thread.

I have a Bugera 6262 which I consider being a good amp so yeah it'll probably cover up a bit

Yeah I've been browsing around for a while and this is the first good deal that I have came across, tough living in a small and isolated country! If I get it, a thread will come up, definitly!

Also, you mentioned it but what more should I look for when inspecting the condition of the guitar? I've never bought used before, what should I have a close look on? Straight neck?
The neck is the most important component of any guitar, an opinion. If the neck is straight, and the truss rod is adjustable, and the frets are in good condition, no dead frets or buzzing, and the action isn't unbelievably high and can be lowered, the typical dings and/or dents and/or scratches on the body is usually a non-issue for Used gear, for me.

IpponEdit: That Bugera can make most guitars sound good.
I tried a 7321 sometime ago and was not impressed. The neck was nice, but the pu cavities looked like they were routed w/ a screwdriver or something. I know for the price you shouldn't be expecting world class quality, but you still..

As for the stock pups, they weren't that good at all. Most people switch the stock Ibby pups anyways. I know 7321s have basswood bodies, so you may want to take that into consideration when shopping for replacements.
Quote by Nightgaunt
I tried a 7321 sometime ago and was not impressed. The neck was nice, but the pu cavities looked like they were routed w/ a screwdriver or something. I know for the price you shouldn't be expecting world class quality, but you still..

As for the stock pups, they weren't that good at all. Most people switch the stock Ibby pups anyways. I know 7321s have basswood bodies, so you may want to take that into consideration when shopping for replacements.
Was it new or a friend's? I have an RG7321 that I use mostly as a test bed for PUs, pots, switches and various experiments and how they sound with a Basswood 7 string. The PU routes were pretty flawless.