Ok, guys( and girls) I have an age old question. I need new strings. But I can give you some info on what I'm looking for.
I'm currently using Ernie Ball: Regular Slinky Bass Nickel Wound .050 - .105
I have used these strings for the five years that I have played bass, but I'm looking for something new.
I play in my high school jazz band and this is going to be my second year.
Sooooo, I'm wondering if there are any strings out there that can give me more of a jazz sound?

Thanks in advance
"I prefer the concept of abstract music."

"What would you do for [insert desire]?"
"Eat a Klondike Bar!"
-The Klondike Bar paradox
Okay, I know very very little abou strings, but flatwounds should give you a more upright bass sound. unless of course Im terribly wrong, which in all honesty could be the case.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Flatwounds are definately a plus when it comes to imitating an upright bass. However, not only is the string selection important but so to is your playing technique, volumes and EQ. Obviously you want to favour the bass but, fiddle with the treble and mids to find your voice and to fit in with the band (above all). A pronounced thump is what I'd be looking for. In terms of technique, well.. look into upright technique! Sides of fingers and the like, thumbs work well too. Here's another tip, find a nice piece of foam (I had some memory foam laying around, doesn't really matter) and just stick it underneath the bridge (I have a Jazz Bass so, right between the bridge pickup and the bridge.. or anywhere really, experimentation is key). With my fretless, this is the closest I have got to an upright sound.

edit: not the the upright sound is the end-all to jazz sounds but, I'm sure your conductor would appreciate it
Quote by FbSa
Back in the 70's I decided to take all the frets off Jaco's Bass thinking he would play worse. Man did that backfire.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']FUCK YES.

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.
Last edited by Gsaws at Aug 21, 2010,
If you're going for upright bass sound, definitely Rotosound flats or D'addario Chromes and if you want it jazzy but not TOO 'flat' sounding you can always go with D'addario half rounds. Either way, you can't go wrong.
pinga
My vote is for trying out half rounds. Flatwounds are better for sounding like an upright, but I know that my jazz band played a very diverse spectrum of songs. Some songs needed an upright sound, but we also played some funkier modern stuff, which needed more of the growl that flatwounds don't usually provide.

Just my 2 cents.
Gear:

Fender Jazz
Spector Legend Custom 5
Yamaha BB415

Fender Bassman 400 Pro
Thanks everyone. And I agree with Kamayzing, we do play some more modern songs that ask for an electric. Obviously a lot of this does come back to setting as much as strings.
"I prefer the concept of abstract music."

"What would you do for [insert desire]?"
"Eat a Klondike Bar!"
-The Klondike Bar paradox
Rotosound Swingbass 66's, 45 - 105. they have a bright, growly sound that is important when you need an "electric bass" sound. if i need a stand-up sound, i just roll off the tone knob. just my 2 cents, keep the change.