So, everything in The USA is generally cheaper than in Britain.
my friend from Norway made it his priority to purchase his brand new Les Paul Supreme while in California.

Example: The Peavey is around 999 British Pounds in the UK
The German Thomann.de it's 896 British Pounds.

And in Guitar Center, who sadly don't ship overseas, it's 643 pounds.

So my Query is, does anyone know of any companies, reliable of course, that ship to the UK from USA? or other cheaper areas.
I was also considering taking a trip to america to buy it myself, A holiday perhaps.
and added bonus of new AMP!

Anyone have any experience with this?
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Shipping is expensive, customs charges are expensive too.

What you might save on the face value of the amp itself, you'd end up paying in shipping and customs charges instead.
Quote by Denthúl
Shipping is expensive, customs charges are expensive too.

What you might save on the face value of the amp itself, you'd end up paying in shipping and customs charges instead.

Yes that's what I thought, but the German website ships for free if over 1k.
And it cost me about a tenner for a guitar I shipped.

Would it cost over 250 quid to ship an amp?
I mean, people on Ebay ship overseas a lot of the time, and the shipping is not to steep.
I was just wondering if there were any companies, that may be smaller, but still ship overseas.
I'll do some further research on my own too.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
In Which I replied.
I ship to Russia about twice a week. Since you didn't state what Peavey you're looking at, I'll assume it's a 6505, I ship those quite regularly and through USPS, the price is ~$260 USD (probably cheaper to the UK). At the value we declare it at, no customs fees are charged, however, that also means that if something goes wrong in transit, it will not be fully covered by insurance. Not a big deal for me shipping over there, because my partner has his own guitar shop and a tech to fix things (usually the only that gets broken is a pot/power switch/tubes, no biggy, have not had an amp arrive dead yet), but for you - that means if the amp isn't packed properly, you could have problems.

It will end up costing less, sure, but if think if you're going to do that, you're better off buying used on eBay, or a trusted seller on Harmony-Central, The Gear Page, Rig Talk, UG, etc. from the states and going that route. Then, if anything does break in shipping, you didn't just spend all your money and won't be able to get repairs (you'll get it cheap cause the initial price without shipping will be significantly less than a new one)
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Aug 21, 2010,
I wouldn't buy from the states unless it was a very exclusive item.

Shipping will be a lot, and there are often hefty import duties that will come your way.
The duties might not be much for a £30 record you really wanted, but for a £800 amp it could be huge.

I bought a £180 camera from New York and the duties were something crazy like £70
thomann is fine- as you say, free shipping. you need to get your own kettle lead, but that's what, £10? it's the same voltage, that's the main thing, and there are no customs charges. The price you see is the price you pay (ok, so you're probably gipped slightly on the exchange rate by your credit card company, but it's close to the price you see ), and if it's noticeably cheaper on thomann then it's worth doing it (in my opinion, anyway).

The US, on the other hand, won't have free postage (which could be £100, I dunno exactly how much), you'll be charged around 25% (of both the purchase price and postage) for VAT and customs, plus the US is a different voltage, so you'll need to get a step down transformer. Unless you're saving a lot, in other words (and can find somewhere reliable who'll ship), it's probably not worth it. That's not to say it's never worth it, if you're saving a lot it might still be, but you need to crunch the numbers first.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah buying from the EU is fine but customs will rape you from the USA.
The only way you can really save lots of money is if you know someone over there that you can make arrangements with and get them to ship accross as a gift to avoid the fees. Or obviously if you ever visit the states and want to get a guitar over there thats fine..
Quote by coolstoryangus
Yeah buying from the EU is fine but customs will rape you from the USA.
The only way you can really save lots of money is if you know someone over there that you can make arrangements with and get them to ship accross as a gift to avoid the fees. Or obviously if you ever visit the states and want to get a guitar over there thats fine..

I have close friends, but I think it's definately way too much hassle for them.

Thanks for the suggestions all.
I think I'll check out some sites for a second hand Peavey.
Cheaper anyway.
In Which I replied.