Page 1 of 2
Hey

I was wondering what do you like in a song, so that you classify it as good? Is the bass line, the rythm guitar, or a sweet lick or riff.
Breakin` the Law!
Different things. Some songs have a really awesome riff, like I Don't Wanna Stop by Ozzy Osbourne. Others have really good combinations, like Panic Attack's guitar and bass. Others are just completely perfect, like Waking Dreams.

It changes with every song. It's kind of a scale for me, with different ratings for each part (and each riff, etc.) of each song.
We are one, and we have found they only wanted you around to hold it down, so hold your ground, we won't be here forever.
I like my music cause it pisses other people off when I listen to it loud and mosh like I'm having a seizure. Sig me on this and I will pimp slap you into the next wave of british metal.
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.

Quote by NickGiovanni
I like my music cause it pisses other people off when I listen to it loud and mosh like I'm having a seizure. Sig me on this and I will pimp slap you into the next wave of british metal.

hahahaha LOL
Breakin` the Law!
Quote by NickGiovanni

Sigged. But only the part of it that made me lol. Because there is apparently a character limit of 250.

Depending on the genre, there are usually certain parts of music that I like. Be it the guitar solo, the vocals, or the feel in general. It all varies. It also has to be nice as a whole, of course.
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
Last edited by Mr.Feather at Aug 21, 2010,
I like to have two guitars doing counterpoint instead of symmetrical harmonies, I like the guitars to sometimes do two completely different things that make it sound like there's only one thing going on.
"I like my music cause it pisses other people off when I listen to it loud and mosh like I'm having a seizure. Sig me on this and I will pimp slap you into the next wave of british metal."

So you like Insane Clown Posse, cause that really pisses me off when people listen to it?
This is what's wrong with music today.
I'm personally a fan of genre-mixing. I love a good song that successfully blends two distinct genres. Like this electro-swing band called Caravan Palace. Check 'em out on youtube.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
- Good lyrics I can somewhat relate to. It is not a necessity if the music can make up for it.
- Great use of other instruments as well as guitar; a kickass bassline and awesome use of keyboard just make me like the band or artist even more.
- Great voice to front the music. I like Rise Against, even though it is far out of my favorite style, because of this, as well as lyrics part.
- Decently produced sound. Doesn't matter if the musicians are talented if they can't use their equipment well.
- Overall impression. This one can make up for the lack of one or more of the above.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
I just like something that fits my mood, like if I'm feeling badass, I listen to AC/DC, Guns 'n' Roses, or Chickenfoot. Or sometimes I feel more low-key and listen to U2 or Coldplay.
Quote by Trowzaa
I can't look at anything starting with BB and not thinking big busty.
Big Busty Queefing.
I couldn't really define what I like in my music.

I like diversity and power, epic progressions, raw blasting fury, mellow interludes, long ambient breaks... I think I'm just looking for music that "clicks" with my mood at a given time, i.e. a combination of harmonies that spontaneously generate a feeling, whether it be joy, sadness, anger, etc.

Once a song/album/band is associated with a feeling and I can safely return to them knowing what I'm in for (in a good way), I consider it's part of my musical taste.
---

"L'esclave parfait est celui qui croit être libre."

---
Quote by SomeBlueKind
"I like my music cause it pisses other people off when I listen to it loud and mosh like I'm having a seizure. Sig me on this and I will pimp slap you into the next wave of british metal."

So you like Insane Clown Posse, cause that really pisses me off when people listen to it?
This is what's wrong with music today.

now that's sig worthy.

no but i like more riff oriented things. like i love Tool, and Mastodon. two favorite bands at the moment. them and Zeppelin. i dont really prefer a whole lot of melodic things, but i do love me some maiden.
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
I enjoy technically advanced music with character and feel. I listen to a lot of Prog Rock and Metal. I prefer clean vocals more lately.

But I also like the Blues a lot -- not the crap like B. B. King, the good stuff. And Jazz, especially Bebop.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Aug 21, 2010,
Music I like and music that is good are for me two different things. I know it might seem like a wierd definition.

All music that is good "craftmanship" I concider good but I won't necessarily like to listen to it. I don't bother listen endless jass solos but I know the guitarist behind it is very talented, it would be disrespectfull to call it bad. Generic dance remixes where they just speed up the original track and add a lame bass line, I on other hand consider poor craftmanship - and therefore bad music.

Music I like on the other hand is very hard define with few words because I have a broad taste. If I have to name something, I am a sucker for a nice guitar riff or lick and a powerfull vocal(think Howlin Wolf or Corey Taylor vocalvice).
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I enjoy technically advanced music with character and feel. I listen to a lot of Prog Rock and Metal. I prefer clean vocals more lately.

But I also like the Blues a lot -- not the crap like B. B. King, the good stuff. And Jazz, especially Bebop.

When I read someone put B.B. King and crap in the same sentence it takes every fiber of my being not to go into totally and utter troll mode.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Pray tell, what would that be?
Quote by Trowzaa
I can't look at anything starting with BB and not thinking big busty.
Big Busty Queefing.
I like unique music but not so much that it's overly obscure. In it I love unique vocalists of all kinds and I love when the other musicians clearly display that they know what they're doing and have genuine musical talent.
Arms Of Empire
^ ^ ^ Band I am involved in ^ ^ ^
Please check it out? ;D

Axe FX II + EBMM JP6 + Jackson DK2S
Lol, I amz the Sig-Masturr. Bow down to my utter retardation
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.

Quote by crazysam23_Atax

BB king isn't crap.

Blues is about the feeling and BB king has got it, i think it's abit of a shame that not many people know about the other legends of blues though :/
I'm not really sure if I can find any real common threads between all of the bands I listen to, but I like a penchant for experimentation, a bright guitar sound (generally), funk and/or reggae influences, SYNTHS, a tight rhythm section, lots of reverb on vocals, intelligent lyrics, and melodic basslines.

Although that really only covers a little bit of what I listen to, I'd say those are all things I enjoy in rock.
Counterpoint in which all the lines are majestic on their own, yet extremely rich and powerful together.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I like cool riffs, good rhythm, and lots of energy in the music. I don't care about the vocals so much as long as they don't distract from the rest of the music - the main things are guitar and bass for me.
cat
Quote by Xiaoxi
Counterpoint in which all the lines are majestic on their own, yet extremely rich and powerful together.

*looks at avatar*

Well, he's definitely your man for counterpoint.
Quote by Holy Katana
*looks at avatar*

Well, he's definitely your man for counterpoint.

Yes he isssss. I am not worthy.

Also, Mozart's Kyrie fugue from his Requiem. Wooooaaahh, awesome double fugue all the wayyyyyy.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Bands that have a fairly unique sound and can write memorable material.

Any band that meets that criteria and has entirely clean vocals I don't mind, but I prefer bands with death metal vocals.

Some degree of technicality is always nice, too.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Quote by Xiaoxi

Also, Mozart's Kyrie fugue from his Requiem. Wooooaaahh, awesome double fugue all the wayyyyyy.

man now im back to listening to the whole thing. the end of the kyrie is so awesome
Last edited by Unourrit01 at Aug 22, 2010,
A good beat or tempo is a biggie for me. Good timing in musical keys as well.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Feeling. They have to have feeling.

**** those ******s who shred, Jeff Loomfag and John Petdicki

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

It is very difficult to pinpoint exactly what it is I like. Just that...something.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
A song where i can actually hear all of the instruments, not mush

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
Page 1 of 2