Sorry, I am not 100% sure if I'm posting this in the right place. Anyways, I have recently begun the task of setting up a simple home studio for my projects. So far I have purchased a Randall RX120RH Half Stack, Behinger DEQ1024 31-Band Equalizer, Behringer XENYX 1204USB Mixer with Effects, the Shure SM57 Microphone, and am waiting on a Dime Amplification D100 head. Please don't complain about my choice of amps or other gear. I like the sound of those amps and that's all that matters. Okay, so the Randall RX120RH is a bit noisy at the setting I have it on currently. I use an Epiphone Les Paul Standard with a set of DiMarzio D Activator-X pickups (high output). So, while doing some recordings trying to familiarize myself with the new equipment this morning, I've noticed that there is a high pitched squealing in the background of my recordings. I am wondering if anyone could help me resolve this issue to where the squealing sound is gone. Do I need to adjust anything on the mixer or something like that? I don't know, I am new to this. Please help and I am sorry if I have been unclear. Thanks.
So basically, how can I get better recording quality with the equipment that I have.
Have you tried altering your mic placement or recording at a lower volume? It looks like that EQ you have has a built in noise gate that you can tweak to try and knock out that unwanted noise. I'd definitely make sure you've familiarized yourself with the manuals for all your new equipment, especially the EQ and Mixer. The feedback is likely coming from the mic so perhaps try tweaking your EQs on the mixer until it's gone.
Try notching out the noise, but if you notch out too much you'll change the tone too much.

If you want good sound, you need some fairly good gear to start with. I don't think Behringer does any good with preamps or recording gear. I used to own an 802 mixer from them in the past and it was very noisy.

Mixers are mostly pointless in a modern digital studio. You can buy interfaces with 2, 4, or 8+ preamped inputs on them now and they send each input to their own track without any mixing.
Quote by Odirunn
Have you tried altering your mic placement or recording at a lower volume? It looks like that EQ you have has a built in noise gate that you can tweak to try and knock out that unwanted noise. I'd definitely make sure you've familiarized yourself with the manuals for all your new equipment, especially the EQ and Mixer. The feedback is likely coming from the mic so perhaps try tweaking your EQs on the mixer until it's gone.

This morning I moved the mic over to the left side of the amp and tilted the microphone over off axis of the top right speaker. It used to be right in front of the amp. Then I tried recording and it was a bit better sounding. Next, I played around with the levels, the eq on both the amp, the mixer, and my equalizer and then I found that the unwanted noise went away a bit more. Now, I just recorded with the amp volume high, and the levels on the mixer low and that gets a good sound. Not noise free, but good sound nonetheless. Thanks for your help man. I have a YouTube video of it. The account is called "DeathMetalAngel123" and I have a video called "Randall RX120RH Demo II". You can hear the sound that I got on that video if you want to check it out.
Quote by moody07747
Try notching out the noise, but if you notch out too much you'll change the tone too much.

If you want good sound, you need some fairly good gear to start with. I don't think Behringer does any good with preamps or recording gear. I used to own an 802 mixer from them in the past and it was very noisy.

Mixers are mostly pointless in a modern digital studio. You can buy interfaces with 2, 4, or 8+ preamped inputs on them now and they send each input to their own track without any mixing.

Yeah, I read all the reviews and stuff where people complain about Behringer, but I figured that I don't need a really fancy mixer or anything to start with. Just something to start out and get it figured out. I got better sound now and you can hear it if you go to YouTube and find the account called "DeathMetalAngel123". I have a video called "Randall RX120RH Demo II" where I use the mixer, the Shure SM57, and that amp. I just wanted this gear to work until I get famous!

...just kidding. That'd be cool though. I do want it to be good enough for me to make a good album for my thrash project that I'm working on, and to make a better sounding album for my black metal project though.
Glad you got it mostly worked out, man. Sounds like you've got a pretty gnarly, classic thrash tone. The only thing I'd watch out for is your EQ levels when you have lots of tracks. That quad track part is pretty muddied up from all the low end.