I recently started to learn piano on my own and got sheet music for the Op. 9 No. 2 Chopin Nocturne.
(Here's where I got the PDF for it)
http://www.free-scores.com/download-sheet-music.php?pdf=1508#

What do these things mean:

In the second full measure, there's a ~ with a flat sign on top and a natural sign below. Above this it says 14321.

Later, in the middle of the first page there is a trill with 321 above it.

Also there are notes like in the last measure of the first page, that have a jagged line above them.

Second measure on the last page has another note with just a ~ above it.

and I'm assuming that the Ped and * refers to using the sustain pedal.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
Quote by FacetOfChaos
I recently started to learn piano on my own and got sheet music for the Op. 9 No. 2 Chopin Nocturne.
(Here's where I got the PDF for it)
http://www.free-scores.com/download-sheet-music.php?pdf=1508#

What do these things mean:

In the second full measure, there's a ~ with a flat sign on top and a natural sign below. Above this it says 14321.

Later, in the middle of the first page there is a trill with 321 above it.

Also there are notes like in the last measure of the first page, that have a jagged line above them.

Second measure on the last page has another note with just a ~ above it.

and I'm assuming that the Ped and * refers to using the sustain pedal.

The ~ means a turn, to do a turn you play the note above the notated note, then the notated note, then one below the note, then return to the note (sounds confusing but it's not). the flat on top means the upper note is to be a flat and the natural underneath means the lower note is to be natural. So those 3 notes are chromatic, Chopin did that alot.

The 14321 is just the reccomended fingering. Same for the trill.

Jagged lines are Mordants. Basically you play the note, the note above it, and then back to the first note. This sign with a line through it means the opposite, instead of the note above you go the note below.

Yes Ped refers to where you press down the sustain pedal, the * sign tells yu when you take your foot off.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Aug 21, 2010,
Ahh, thanks. That makes a lot of sense now
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
Last edited by FacetOfChaos at Aug 21, 2010,