i'm looking for a new guitar to buy, i play metal or hard rock but would want a guitar with coil tap, i have looked into buying a schecter hellraiser c-1 fr and i liked the features but ive heard from quite a few people that schecters suck. i have had ibanez recommended to me multiple times but i cant find one with a locking tremolo and coil tap. can someone please help me? i dont want to spend 800 dollars on this schecter to have it fall apart on me or something. thanks. any other suggestions would be appreciated
EVERYONE has a Schecter Hellraiser C-1. Just get an Ibanez with an Edge II Trem, and coil tap it yourselff. And you will thank me later that you didnt conform to the masses of schecter-player/posers
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.

Or get an ESP. ESP's are metal MACHINES that last ages if you get good model
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.

Quote by NickGiovanni
Or get an ESP. ESP's are metal MACHINES that last ages if you get good model

+10000000000000000000000000000000000
I dunno about you but round here I'd say everyone has an Ibanez. I'm pretty much the only guy I know with a Schecter and I love it. Although I cant speak about the trem as I got a TOM bridge, the build quality is excellent on my Hellraiser C-7 and under no circumstances would it just "fall apart". I personally cant stand most Ibanez's due to the horribly thin necks, so if you're looking for a strat-like feel but fast playability, I'd highly recommend a Hellraiser.
the Ibanez EGEN8 has a locking tremolo and coil tap, but then people might make fun of you for having a Dragonforce guitar.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Get A Washburn.
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
I'd agree ^ [EDIT: To Mishax92]
I'm the only Schecter owner around my parts, as well (This is, of course, as far as I know..) and I will say my Elite is built like a ****ing tank. It is top notch (To me, I've had P.O.S. guitars, and some nicer ones.. The Schecter is the best I've ever owned.)
EVERYONE around here who plays guitar has an Ibanez, either because they want "The whammy bar" or because they want to "Shred". I put those in quotations because it comes from, well, people who aren't so smart when it comes around to knowledge of their instrument..
Also, having owned an Ibanez RG350, 2 crappy Ibanez GIO's (One of which I still have, lol), an Ibanez RG2EX2 (Love it, quite frankly), and my Schecter C-1 Elite, as well as having previously owned an LTD H-100, I'd say Schecter is quite seriously the way to go. I love the feel of the neck, I love the quality of the instrument, the coil tapping option (Which I do also have on my Ibanez I currently own, the RG2EX2) is always nice to have, and it is BEAUTIFUL aesthetically.. If I ever look into buying another guitar, I'll absolutely look to Schecter for a quality instrument.

Quote by theogonia777
the Ibanez EGEN8 has a locking tremolo and coil tap, but then people might make fun of you for having a Dragonforce guitar.

Oh, tell 'em to f**k off. Who cares if it's a signature guitar, or if it is from a band that gets a lot of hate, I'm sure it's a quality guitar and from what I've heard it's very nice.
Last edited by TheAbsentOne at Aug 21, 2010,
there's a reason for all the people having a Schecter. They are good guitars !!! seriously ! and u pay less than you'd pay for an Ibanez with the same features. You get a flawless finish, EMG-s or Seymours, Grover tuners (unlike the crappy hardware on similarly priced ibanez's)
if you dont want to be like everyone else you can get a schecter revenger fr. thats what i have and its like the hellraiser but cooler(it has an avenger body so you might not like it) in my opinion. look into it i think youll be happy if you get it.
Quote by MarijuanaIsGood
if the elephant on the left is green, and the spider on the right is blue, what is in the middle and WHAT THE FUCK COLOR IS IT??

Quote by ThatGuy153à
Yo stop tripping, its just a Purple Bag'O'Green

i dont wanna melt in 2030
Quote by NickGiovanni
EVERYONE has a Schecter Hellraiser C-1. Just get an Ibanez with an Edge II Trem, and coil tap it yourselff. And you will thank me later that you didnt conform to the masses of schecter-player/posers

This... I'm tired of people saying "Yoz, Schect3rs r teh br00talz, tey has coil t4p! they r sooooo versutaiyul!"

The truth is that they are *alright* guitars. They are decently priced and have good hardware, but they are far from the best you can get. They have fairly fat necks, too. So unless you're into that, I wouldn't go buying one because it probably won't be too comfortable. They are by no means bad guitars, but I would seriously consider looking around at other brands and makes. A lot of the people I meet (at gigs 'n' such, or through friends) who actually know their ass from their elbow when it comes to guitar say they regret conforming and buying their stupid Hellraiser or whatever.

All I'm saying is that you should seriously consider trying out many different guitars for yourself before actually deciding to go with a guitar. I'm not saying don't buy Schecter specifically, but you shouldn't only narrow your search down to Ibby's or Schecters.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
I will admit that a Hellraiser is one Schecter I stray away from, I'm not a fan of active EMG's, though, that's honestly the only thing that puts them off for me.

I, personally, love both the fat necks like the one on my Elite, and the thin necks like on my Ibanez.

Like said above, look at EVERYTHING possible in your price range. Don't just consider Ibanez or Schecter, just because they're the "Known" or "Popular" brands. There's plenty of guitars that could be that one "Special" guitar for you, the one that just feels right for you, and for all you know it might not be an Ibby or Schecter.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
I'd agree ^ [EDIT: To Mishax92]
I'm the only Schecter owner around my parts, as well (This is, of course, as far as I know..) and I will say my Elite is built like a ****ing tank. It is top notch (To me, I've had P.O.S. guitars, and some nicer ones.. The Schecter is the best I've ever owned.)
EVERYONE around here who plays guitar has an Ibanez, either because they want "The whammy bar" or because they want to "Shred". I put those in quotations because it comes from, well, people who aren't so smart when it comes around to knowledge of their instrument..
Also, having owned an Ibanez RG350, 2 crappy Ibanez GIO's (One of which I still have, lol), an Ibanez RG2EX2 (Love it, quite frankly), and my Schecter C-1 Elite, as well as having previously owned an LTD H-100, I'd say Schecter is quite seriously the way to go. I love the feel of the neck, I love the quality of the instrument, the coil tapping option (Which I do also have on my Ibanez I currently own, the RG2EX2) is always nice to have, and it is BEAUTIFUL aesthetically.. If I ever look into buying another guitar, I'll absolutely look to Schecter for a quality instrument.

while the schecter elites are good, your not making a good comparison at all. You just compared low end ibanezes and low end esp's to high end schecters, of course your instrument will seem much better. A prestige series ibanez or even a 400+ series esp are going to be as nice (imo much nicer) than the schecter elite series. Frankly i've played your guitar and it didn't really impress me in feel, but to each his own, you may think ltd's and ibanezes feel like crap. I guess thats why it is important to try many things out and then find your personal preference (to TS btw).

TS: This is all about personal preference. If you want a super thin neck with high playability go with a higher end ibanez guitar (prestige series typically are my personal benchmark, but they have some very good mid price range guitars). If you want an all around great metal guitar for a cheaper price, go with an esp/Ltd 400 series or higher. Actual ESP's are best obviously but not all of us can afford them. I'd also look into jackson guitars, their pretty solid instruments as well, check them out. I honestly can't recommend a schecter, there good and i have had some relatively good experiences with them, but there is much better out there.
if you don't want to spend a lot of money then buy a used one.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Start with an Ibanez, so that when you finally do upgrade to a Schecter you will truly appreciate all of the quality differences.
I'd say they have similar build qualities for the money. If not schecter would be slightly better value for money. This is purely out of personal experience by the way.
Main difference between them would be the neck though.
Do you prefer thinner or fatter necks?
Save another 200$ and wait for a suitable Carvin to come up in their in stock section?

I spent 1000$ on my Carvin 7, and believe you me, I should have payed ALOT more. It's USA built custom shop instrument. The only conceivable problem with Carvin is the stock pickups.

This is my suggestion. I can vouch for them being superior instruments to both the Ibanez and Schecter guitars that I've played. Not just the look, but the feel and the woods and hardware used.
I'd recommend the Schecter, but go with the C-1 Custom FR. I find passives to be better than actives. And i can say this because i just had Dimarzios installed in my Hellraiser C7 FR. And i must say, it was worth every penny i spent to have the installed.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
Look, another wanna-be fanboy asking UG what his opinion on gear should be...

TS: Get your ass down to a music store and play some guitars. Or, if you don't have any music stores where you live, order randomly. Pick a pretty finish and buy. It's not like anybody on here can tell you what you'll like.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by firebird103
while the schecter elites are good, your not making a good comparison at all. You just compared low end ibanezes and low end esp's to high end schecters, of course your instrument will seem much better. A prestige series ibanez or even a 400+ series esp are going to be as nice (imo much nicer) than the schecter elite series. Frankly i've played your guitar and it didn't really impress me in feel, but to each his own, you may think ltd's and ibanezes feel like crap. I guess thats why it is important to try many things out and then find your personal preference (to TS btw).

TS: This is all about personal preference. If you want a super thin neck with high playability go with a higher end ibanez guitar (prestige series typically are my personal benchmark, but they have some very good mid price range guitars). If you want an all around great metal guitar for a cheaper price, go with an esp/Ltd 400 series or higher. Actual ESP's are best obviously but not all of us can afford them. I'd also look into jackson guitars, their pretty solid instruments as well, check them out. I honestly can't recommend a schecter, there good and i have had some relatively good experiences with them, but there is much better out there.

I've never been able to play a higher end guitar before, around here all you find are Squiers, Epiphone Specials, Ibanez GIO's, and sometimes a MiM Strat that hasn't been setup so it isn't playable. I've never bought a guitar from a store since my Ibanez AGS73, I've always turned to the used market.
I know a high end LTD or Ibanez will compare to my Schecter, please don't say I said my Schecter is the greatest guitar ever made. It's not. I just love it because it was my first good guitar and it feels amazing to me.
I wouldnt let a coil tap affect your buying decision they usually sound balls compared to real single coils...
Don't buy a cheap non prestige ibanez with an edge 3 either they suck. Go used and buy a used prestige rg or anything with a number higher then 5xx and get a nicer guitar with a good trem with money leftover to replace pickups and maybe even install a coil tap if it bothers you that much!

Now if you'll excuse me this thread is making my iq decrease.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Aug 22, 2010,
Buy an S series Ibanez, the 5 way switch is essentially the same as a coil tap. Also most of them have a middle single coil.
Quote by ch0

TS: Get your ass down to a music store and play some guitars. Or, if you don't have any music stores where you live, order randomly. Pick a pretty finish and buy. It's not like anybody on here can tell you what you'll like.

Damn straight!

Its important to just try a whole bunch of guitars and see which ones you like. Forget about the coiltap as standard as all you need to do for coiltap is install some pickups with 4 conductor wiring and get some push pull pots installed.

I tried a ton of guitars and found the ones that suited me. If I had bought blindly god knows what I would of ended up with.

I have played Gibson Les Pauls that people rave about and frankly I cannot stand the necks or the body shape. Just uncomfortable to me. Why? Because everyone has different tastes and requirements.

Nobody can tell you which guitar to buy as it is all preference. I repeat go try a bunch of guitars!
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by ch0

WHY DID IT TAKE TWO FU*KING PAGES FOR THIS?

Seriously. Now all the bandwagoners are AGAINST Schecter just because Tom is

Everyone who said. "Try ESP, try Jackson, try Washburn," especially without mentioning any models to look for, is a fool.

TS, Ibanez guitars and Schecter guitars are so vastly different from each other that no one's opinion here should make up your mind.

Ibanez is known for obnoxiously paper thin necks while schecter has thicker necks.

Go to a shop and try every goddamned Ibanez and Schecter you see. You have $800 bucks.

If 20 people say Schecter and 21 people say Ibanez you might end up liking bloody GIBSON after trying a shitton out for all we know.
Quote by siverstorm
WHY DID IT TAKE TWO FU*KING PAGES FOR THIS?

Seriously. Now all the bandwagoners are AGAINST Schecter just because Tom is

Everyone who said. "Try ESP, try Jackson, try Washburn," especially without mentioning any models to look for, is a fool.

TS, Ibanez guitars and Schecter guitars are so vastly different from each other that no one's opinion here should make up your mind.

Ibanez is known for obnoxiously paper thin necks while schecter has thicker necks.

Go to a shop and try every goddamned Ibanez and Schecter you see. You have $800 bucks.

If 20 people say Schecter and 21 people say Ibanez you might end up liking bloody GIBSON after trying a shitton out for all we know.

Yeah i agree with you there, I'm not gonna bandwagon at all neither have i before.
Anyway OP should check out the Washburn X50 Pro series, the selling point on it is definately the action and the neck for me its buttery smooth and perfect so shredding as well as coming with the sweet seymour duncan customs

Move along.

Quote by steve_muse
TBF an action of a guitar shouldnt be a selling point considering you can get a cheapy a pro setup and that could also have a buttery smooth low action..
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Aug 22, 2010,
Quote by coolstoryangus
TBF an action of a guitar shouldnt be a selling point considering you can get a cheap a pro setup and that could also have a buttery smooth low action..

Well i disagree with you there because if you compare a pro adjusted hardtail bridge's action to an original floyd rose, you'll see and feel a clear difference. not to mention that the construction such as the fret size/shape, neck radius all add to take to the playability

Move along.

Quote by steve_muse