A couple of days ago, I started a thread with almost the same exact title - this is kind of like the sequel/follow up.

So now I'm seriously looking into 5150/6505 2X12 combos, but I'm looking to further my knowledge before I drop so much money.

Basically, I'm looking for Nightwish (Century Child; Once) and Lamb of God (Sacrament) tones. As far as I'm aware, Nightwish use(d) Dual Rectifiers for those albums, and LoG use(d) Mark IV's (or V's? I'm not sure, but I think IV's.)

I'm familiar with the Rectifiers and their sound, but I'm not familiar with the Marks at all, or what they sound like in comparison.

Since that's what I'm looking for, would it be possible to get similar or esque tones from a 5150/6505, or do I have to go Mesa to get anything comparable?

Also, if I do go Mesa, are they similar enough that I could use one amp to get both sounds from?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
OK, I'll actually be serious.

No, you won't. The distortion characteristics from a recto to a 6505 are VERY different.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Hm. I can see that. Can you elaborate on the differences between the Rectifiers and the Marks?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Hm. I can see that. Can you elaborate on the differences between the Rectifiers and the Marks?

The mark is basically one of the most versatile amps ever but if you gonna get a Mark V I would in my personal preference just go for a Roadking. Marks are known to have really awesome lead tone and basccally suppose to be able to do good in all genres. The rectifier in the other hand have really sick rhythm sound. The triple rec 2 channel i tried was freaking amazing. The rectifiers are still versatile just not as versatile as the marks.

If all you need is so sick ass metal amp. 6505 or Rectos would be good. It just comes down to taste in the end. Go play each one and see what you prefer.
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Last edited by Aashraya at Aug 21, 2010,
Quote by Aashraya

If all you need is so sick ass metal amp. 6505 or Rectos would be good. It just comes down to taste in the end. Go play each one and see what you prefer.

If I could, I wouldn't need to make a thread. But out of the two guitar stores near me within reasonable driving distance, neither of them carry very good amps.

After seeing most of the posts, I kind of wish I didn't make a thread at all. I could have sworn this was GG&A, not EG...

From what you said, I don't think I want a Mark. I don't like complicated amps, and the Mark kind of looks like a modeling amp. I really much prefer the amp that has channels, an EQ for each channel, pre and post gain kind of simplicity. Straight in, straight out, you know?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
If I could, I wouldn't need to make a thread. But out of the two guitar stores near me within reasonable driving distance, neither of them carry very good amps.

After seeing most of the posts, I kind of wish I didn't make a thread at all. I could have sworn this was GG&A, not EG...

From what you said, I don't think I want a Mark. I don't like complicated amps, and the Mark kind of looks like a modeling amp. I really much prefer the amp that has channels, an EQ for each channel, pre and post gain kind of simplicity. Straight in, straight out, you know?

Yea man i get what you mean. I'm totally the opposite I'm love straight forward amps but i love being able to tweak the crap outta stuff. The mark is no where near a modeler its like what made mesas famous. But its all preference man. Well i think the 6505 is a more darker sounding amp I dont exactly know if the mesa is bright, but sadly i havent had a chance to try out 6505s. All i know is the Mesa Rec is something you wont be disappointed by (well 2 channel idk how the 3 channel ones are like). I just heard the 3 channel is bit looser but a OD should clear that up.

If you cant try it out
look at videos
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=6505+review&aq=f

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Mesa+rectifier+review&aq=f

Well i mean i still make threads even though i can try out the amps just to see what other people thought so i dont over look gear.
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Last edited by Aashraya at Aug 21, 2010,
Yeah, I understand. I try not to waste to much of UG's time or upset their elitism too much though. I know how irritable people can get here.

I don't really trust videos - it's hard to get an accurate depiction of whatever you're looking at by them, because it's never really "right".

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Eh, the Mark V could be considered a pseudo-modeling amp, but none of them really qualify as such. The Mark IV is not really that complicated. It's got the same parameters you mentioned plus a graphic EQ, which, if you're dead set on not using, can be left flat and it won't affect the tone.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by Offworld92
Yeah, I understand. I try not to waste to much of UG's time or upset their elitism too much though. I know how irritable people can get here.

I don't really trust videos - it's hard to get an accurate depiction of whatever you're looking at by them, because it's never really "right".

well what else are you gonna use?

UG, Reviews and Video reviews. I recommend videos because you cant try out the actual amp. Talk to Matrix claw about 6505 and Rectifier. He sure helped me decide. He seems to know a lot.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by MortifiedLizard
Eh, the Mark V could be considered a pseudo-modeling amp, but none of them really qualify as such. The Mark IV is not really that complicated. It's got the same parameters you mentioned plus a graphic EQ, which, if you're dead set on not using, can be left flat and it won't affect the tone.

Thanks for the info. I'll look more into it.

Realistically, I'll eventually own a 6505 and either a Rectifier and/or a Mark anyway. I'm slowly starting to build my amp collection.

But since I don't have a whole lot of money at this point, I'm just trying to figure out what would be a good investment for now, as I'll need this amp to last me a while (a couple or few years).

I'll most likely continue with my 6505 plan for now, because it's a whole lot cheaper, and at this point a 2X12 is a lot more convenient for transportation reasons. (I wouldn't want to get a Mesa combo, I'd want the full real thing )

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
You will be better off with a mesa rectifier for the sounds your after, i play lamb of god on my single rectifier no problem i can get a crazy amount of different metal tones from it!
Mark series are not moddlers lol
Goodluck
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by Offworld92

I'll most likely continue with my 6505 plan for now, because it's a whole lot cheaper, and at this point a 2X12 is a lot more convenient for transportation reasons. (I wouldn't want to get a Mesa combo, I'd want the full real thing )

what you mean i want the full real thing(considering the mesa)?

If you are low on cash go for 6505. I would say save up and get the rec but if you are eventually planing on getting 6505/Rec/ and mark was it? Than you might as well start somewhere. If you can save up for a Rec i would say get the rec first.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Aashraya
what you mean i want the full real thing(considering the mesa)?

If you are low on cash go for 6505. I would say save up and get the rec but if you are eventually planing on getting 6505/Rec/ and mark was it? Than you might as well start somewhere. If you can save up for a Rec i would say get the rec first.

A 4x12 half stack I mean. I know it doesn't make a huge difference, but it's mostly just aesthetic, and psychological. Also, Mesa combo amps are really hard to find compared to heads/cabs.

I can save up for the rec, but I want to gig asap, and I just need something with a lot of gain that's good, really. And I can find a 5150 combo for like half as much as a Rec, so that's kind of a big deal too. That's like ~$500 vs ~$1000, and that makes a huge difference for me right now.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
A 4x12 half stack I mean. I know it doesn't make a huge difference, but it's mostly just aesthetic, and psychological. Also, Mesa combo amps are really hard to find compared to heads/cabs.

I can save up for the rec, but I want to gig asap, and I just need something with a lot of gain that's good, really. And I can find a 5150 combo for like half as much as a Rec, so that's kind of a big deal too. That's like ~$500 vs ~$1000, and that makes a huge difference for me right now.

Yea than by all means go for it. I dont think there are any rectifier combos other than like tremoverb combos but i mean the actual rectifier.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
as far as high gain chugging goes, the 6505 is a little similar to the mark because they're both really tight and have lots of mids. its not the exact same, but you should get a pretty good lamb of god tone out of the 6505
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by Offworld92

well, you did make a post about mesa amps right next to the mesa amp thread.

IMO, the mark series sound alot better than the rectos. alot more dynamic and versatile, have more life to the tone. plus they have better cleans, if that matters to you. rectos hit me as more of just a chugga chugga metal amp, although you can get a very very wide variety of tones out of it still, it just doesnt feel right to me playing alot of other styles.(im kind of exaggerating here, for those who are thinking about arguinng my statement.) the mark v, you could say, is KIND OF a modeling amp. it has basically all the other mark series built into it, as well as its own new tone. IMO, this is the better amp, both in features and sound. but if you want more simplicty, maybe not. id suggest looking at a single rec, or one of the peaveys. i dont like peavey too much so i cant give you a good rec there. the mark is set up more or less the same way, theres just more channels, and the push pull knobs which are for boost etc.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by Offworld92

You can buy single recs used from 600 and up depending on condition of the amp,
Single recs are 50 watts but still going to be able to gig with it easily(there loud), theres not much of a difference in volume between 50 and 100 watts, the 50 watt will have less clean headroom though.
I really love my rectoverb its the most versatle amp ive ever owned(not played).
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
If you want versatility, the Roadking is better than the Mark V, but they're voiced differently. For LOG, a Mark IV would be perfect, but the Roadking could easily pull it off too. Yeah it looks complex, but really its not that bad, its just because each of the 4 channels has individual controls, there are no shared controls. You can assign different power tube combinations to each channel and a lot more. It is by far the most versatile amp Mesa have ever made.
That said, its not exactly cheap I think you'd probably be happy with either a Recto or a Mark IV, but try both if you can, you'll probably find one suits you better.
Last edited by littlephil at Aug 21, 2010,
Quote by littlephil
If you want versatility, the Roadking is better than the Mark V, but they're voiced differently. For LOG, a Mark IV would be perfect, but the Roadking could easily pull it off too. Yeah it looks complex, but really its not that bad, its just because each of the 4 channels has individual controls, there are no shared controls. You can assign different power tube combinations to each channel and a lot more. It is by far the most versatile amp Mesa have ever made.
That said, its not exactly cheap I think you'd probably be happy with either a Recto or a Mark IV, but try both if you can, you'll probably find one suits you better.

LOG have been using mark Vs for awhile now mixed with IVs
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by littlephil

+ 1

yea first i thought it was complicated but if you really look at its pretty straight forward.
even the switches on the back, they are pretty simple.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by slipknot_420
LOG have been using mark Vs for awhile now mixed with IVs

Either way the IV will nail their tone.
Quote by littlephil
Either way the IV will nail their tone.

Yea i know just giving u a hard time
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
does it really matter since the mark iv tone is in the v? lol
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Its not though, the V's lead channel isn't as good as the IV's, and IMO they shouldn't have even named it the Mark IV mode, or IIC+ for that matter, they don't sound the same as the circuit they're meant to replicate.
Really, they should have just made the V as a new amp, rather than marketing it as 9 old amps in one.
Quote by littlephil
Its not though, the V's lead channel isn't as good as the IV's, and IMO they shouldn't have even named it the Mark IV mode, or IIC+ for that matter, they don't sound the same as the circuit they're meant to replicate.
Really, they should have just made the V as a new amp, rather than marketing it as 9 old amps in one.

+1
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by Linqua5150
well, you did make a post about mesa amps right next to the mesa amp thread.

Oh, was that the big deal? I didn't even notice.

Anyway, thanks for all the responses, guys. I didn't think there'd be this many, and I really appreciate all the insight.

FWIW, I'm not looking to "nail their tone", as I think that's stupid (trying to sound exactly like someone else). I'm just trying to get in the ballpark, really. Looking for that really tight, compressed rhythm sound, you know? Hopefully I'll be able to try out some amps before I buy anything.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'll admit i jumped a head in the thread a bit, but i would recommend trying out a used 6505 first before shelling out the cash for a dual recto (dont get a single) or a mark 4. To do spot on LOG you really need a mark 4 or a modeler, but the 6505 really is an amazing amp for modern metal doods. I had a single rec and it didn't hold a candle to the 6505.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by Matt15f
I'll admit i jumped a head in the thread a bit, but i would recommend trying out a used 6505 first before shelling out the cash for a dual recto (dont get a single) or a mark 4. .

agreed with this guy. I mean i know you have no where to try it. But if you are dishing out 1200$ then you gotta try them out. Try to find on you used market? Or make the travel of 50 miles or what ever because if you end up not liking it, better waste the gas money than 1200$. And you would also get a chance to try out other amps and hopefully find what you like

good luck man!
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
I know this is a bit late.. And I don't mean to nag.. But I can't even begin to think of how people can consider a Mesa anything close to a Modeling Amp. It's not even close.
Quote by ryantombasco
I know this is a bit late.. And I don't mean to nag.. But I can't even begin to think of how people can consider a Mesa anything close to a Modeling Amp. It's not even close.

I don't think anyone did...
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by MortifiedLizard
Eh, the Mark V could be considered a pseudo-modeling amp, but none of them really qualify as such.

Not saying he considers it a pseudo-modeling amp.. But to think that some people do..
Quote by ryantombasco
Not saying he considers it a pseudo-modeling amp.. But to think that some people do..

haha i was a bit shocked too but i see where he is coming from.

I just think modeling amps have been given a bad name from the line six spider and all.. I'm pretty sure their are modeling amps that would woop ass next to a JCM800 or something.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Aashraya
haha i was a bit shocked too but i see where he is coming from.

I just think modeling amps have been given a bad name from the line six spider and all.. I'm pretty sure their are modeling amps that would woop ass next to a JCM800 or something.
Yup. Going up a few notches in the Line 6 amps you get a lot better modeling (Flextone/Vetta). Then there's Axe-FX and stuff like that. Really good modeling.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras
Yup. Going up a few notches in the Line 6 amps you get a lot better modeling (Flextone/Vetta). Then there's Axe-FX and stuff like that. Really good modeling.

haha man i completely forgot about the axe fx

i didnt even think it was a modeler becasue it is so awesome and when i hear modeler i think of spider, vypyr etc.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Aashraya
haha man i completely forgot about the axe fx

i didnt even think it was a modeler becasue it is so awesome and when i hear modeler i think of spider, vypyr etc.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by ryantombasco

For the record, I know it's not a modeler, I was just saying that it's kind of like one, in that it has other "amps" built in.

So in that sense, it's kind of an either way argument - either side could be considered right, I think,

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X