Hello UG people

I have a question if someone can please give me their opinion.

I accidentally droped my guitar and there is a crack on the back of the end of the neck of my guitar, its between where the first fret begins and the first pegs start, its not very big, the paint cracked so, i took some paint of where the crack is and i can see that there is crack in the wood, because when i apply pressure to it to see if there is a crack i can see there is some separation between the wood. I doesnt seem to be that big, at least i think, but i am worried that maybe it could get worse or something or that it could spread and stuff..

the question i have is what do you recommend i do and does it effect the sound of the guitar. its a guibson studio , its my only electric and i dont have alot of money to spend on anything..... what should i do and is this crack serious and will it spread?

thank you all very much in advance
Lol, the Gibson cracked. The most expensive "highest quality" guitar cracked, bwahahah.

anyway, as long as the crack doesn't continue to widen/spread, you should be alright, Worst-Case Scenerio you'llhave to send the guitar to Gibson for a replacement neck, providing your under warranty
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.

omg...dude you have a horrible problem man, is that neck a bolt on? if it is then buy a new neck cuz that is gonna screw up some time in your life. if its set thru then your probably gonna have to buy a new guitar..man i am so sorry for you.
Quote by MarijuanaIsGood
if the elephant on the left is green, and the spider on the right is blue, what is in the middle and WHAT THE FUCK COLOR IS IT??

Quote by ThatGuy153à
Yo stop tripping, its just a Purple Bag'O'Green

i dont wanna melt in 2030
Quote by NickGiovanni
Lol, the Gibson cracked. The most expensive "highest quality" guitar cracked, bwahahah.

anyway, as long as the crack doesn't continue to widen/spread, you should be alright, Worst-Case Scenerio you'llhave to send the guitar to Gibson for a replacement neck, providing your under warranty

so, most guitars won't crack if you drop em?

a ferrari won't get damage if you wreck it?

stfu.

you can take it to your guitar shop and they might can repair it.
Quote by SunDrop
so, most guitars won't crack if you drop em?

a ferrari won't get damage if you wreck it?

stfu.

you can take it to your guitar shop and they might can repair it.

No, no, that's not what he's getting at.
It's just that Gibsons are, well, generally claimed to be "Extremely high quality" instruments, y'know?

I've dropped many a guitar, and honestly never once have I had a guitar crack or anything on me. I know nothing of the build quality of a Gibson, I've never had the pleasure of playing one. I'm sure they're nice, but from a simple accident, it shouldn't, well "crack".

That's just how I see it.. Don't hate me now for voicing my opinion. Ah hell who am I kidding, if you ever voice your opinion, someone WILL get butthurt, someone WILL get angry, and someone WILL call you out and make angry remarks at you.

Oh the wonders of the good ol' Interwebz.
Come over to the guitar building and customising part of the forum, I'll be glad to give some help if you post some photos.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by TheAbsentOne
No, no, that's not what he's getting at.
It's just that Gibsons are, well, generally claimed to be "Extremely high quality" instruments, y'know?

I've dropped many a guitar, and honestly never once have I had a guitar crack or anything on me. I know nothing of the build quality of a Gibson, I've never had the pleasure of playing one. I'm sure they're nice, but from a simple accident, it shouldn't, well "crack".

That's just how I see it.. Don't hate me now for voicing my opinion. Ah hell who am I kidding, if you ever voice your opinion, someone WILL get butthurt, someone WILL get angry, and someone WILL call you out and make angry remarks at you.

Oh the wonders of the good ol' Interwebz.

i didn't get 'butthurt' honestly i don't even like gibsons. its just retarded to say that. i mean if you hit somethin just right you can get cracks. (and its usually when your not trying to) (as in, it might sometimes seem its easier to break a guitar by barely dropping it, than trying to shatter it)
what Kingyem0c0re said or post the pics if you want proper advice instead of some of the immature comments placed so far.
Quote by SunDrop
i didn't get 'butthurt' honestly i don't even like gibsons. its just retarded to say that. i mean if you hit somethin just right you can get cracks. (and its usually when your not trying to) (as in, it might sometimes seem its easier to break a guitar by barely dropping it, than trying to shatter it)

I actually disagree with you - Gibsons have a much, much higher damage and mortality rate than any other guitar. Their design just sucks, and it's something that the "great Gibson" refuses to fix.

I've dropped all of my guitars at least once, and I've never broken any of them - not even scratched the paint on them. Can the same be said about a dropped Gibson? I'll bet you not.

In any case TS, if your guitar is really worth a lot to you, you should take it to a luthier, and they'll make it better than new. Might cost you a fair bit though.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Their design sucks? The same guitar responsible for a great deal of the most amazing sounding riffs sucks, right? Please, I've dropped my epi a few times myself on our hardwood floors and its fine. I cracked input jack plate but hey that cost what, 5 bucks to replace?
Their design has nothing to do with their sound. And Epi's aren't the same as Gibson's. And yes, their design does suck. Any person who knows anything about their construction can tell you that.

And the only reason it was responsible for so many great riffs is because it was about the only thing you could get back then. You basically had a choice between a Gibson and a Fender, and "great riffs" have been done equally with both. Aside from that, their "great" tone had a lot to do with the amps they were using too. They didn't really make mediocre or subpar amps then like they do now. Now a lot of amps are a copy of a copy - then it was the real deal.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 21, 2010,
As far as I'm aware, the headstock angle and joint is a better and more practical design, yes. That is what we're talking about, not the entire construction.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Right, but on topic:

TS, go to GB&C.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
if the fretboard is undamaged your fine its actually a mixed blessing because once gibby head stocks are professionally repaired the are much stronger than stock
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by crazygnr1996
Their design sucks? The same guitar responsible for a great deal of the most amazing sounding riffs sucks, right? Please, I've dropped my epi a few times myself on our hardwood floors and its fine. I cracked input jack plate but hey that cost what, 5 bucks to replace?

Go do a quick google search mate, you'll find thousands of cases of broken Gibson headstocks because they use a bad headstock angle and have the truss rod nut route right where the thinnest part of the headstock is, yet they wont add a volute or any kind of reinforcement to that area of the neck.

The crack, as long as it hasn't gone into the fretboard, should be pretty easy to fix. Any local luthiers should be able to do it no problem, and if you want to do it yourself there are a few guides online.
Last edited by littlephil at Aug 21, 2010,