Vypers do metal a lot better than the Vox amps, imo.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I like the VOX because it's got a real tube in it. The Vyper is definitely better for metal, but the amp modeling is software based, sounds a little fake. Though again, that will only matter if you play any of the other styles besides metal.

Personally I have a Spider IV 75 watter.
Quote by ryanbwags
I like the VOX because it's got a real tube in it. The Vyper is definitely better for metal, but the amp modeling is software based, sounds a little fake. Though again, that will only matter if you play any of the other styles besides metal.

The Vyper 60 is a hybrid just like the VOX, you know.

And (I mean this in as good of way as possible) I don't believe you can compare the Spider IV 75 to either of these amps. The Spider is just, well, so digital. I'm sorry I just do not like the Spider line of amps..
Quote by TheAbsentOne
The Vyper 60 is a hybrid just like the VOX, you know.

Not really. The Vypyr is a real tube power amp with a digital preamp. The Vox is a digital amp with a tube that models a power amp feeding a SS power amp. Huge difference IMO.
Quote by ryanbwags

the vox has one preamp tube, which doesnt really affect the sound. the tube vypyr, on the other hand has a full tube power amp which makes the amp much less harsh, and when you turn it up, the power tubes'll heat up and give off that really nice tube saturation, which you wouldn't get out of a hybrid like the vox.

get the vypyr tube for sure, they sound pretty good for all styles of music especially at high volumes. if you were playing more bluesy kind of stuff, then maybe i'd recommend the vox, but either way the vypyr tube has an actual tube poweramp whereas the vox has but one preamp tube and the vypyr has more powerful processing
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
the vox has one preamp tube, which doesnt really affect the sound. the tube vypyr, on the other hand has a full tube power amp which makes the amp much less harsh, and when you turn it up, the power tubes'll heat up and give off that really nice tube saturation, which you wouldn't get out of a hybrid like the vox.

get the vypyr tube for sure, they sound pretty good for all styles of music especially at high volumes. if you were playing more bluesy kind of stuff, then maybe i'd recommend the vox, but either way the vypyr tube has an actual tube poweramp whereas the vox has but one preamp tube and the vypyr has more powerful processing

+5

The vypyr tube has a real power tube section, not just one preamp tube.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson

Vox has a TUBE in the power section, I know i own one.
Also the vox vt xls blow vypers away in tone metalwise!! Dont post when u have no clue what your talking about!
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by slipknot_420 at Aug 21, 2010,
Quote by slipknot_420
Vox has a TUBE in the power section, I know i own one.
Also the vox vt xls blow vypers away in tone metalwise!! Dont post when u have no clue what your talking about!

The Vox VT has one tube in the preamp section, not the power amp.

From VOX's website:

Sophisticated modeling technology combined with the VOX Valve Reactor power amp circuit that uses a 12AX7 vacuum tube results in sound quality that overwhelms the competition. Announcing the VT series --- the latest combo amps in the Valvetronix series, featuring simulation sounds of famous guitarists.

A 12AX7 is a preamp tube. If it were used in the power amp, the Valvetronix amps would get maybe 2.5w of power.

As for which sounds better, that's entirely up to you. I personally prefer the Vypyr Tube.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Aug 21, 2010,
Quote by Raijouta

The Vox VT has one tube in the preamp section, not the power amp.

As for which sounds better, that's entirely up to you. I personally prefer the Vypyr Tube.

I cant believe you went and did research and still were wrong you just epically failed!
The Valve Reactor circuit used in the power amp of this VT15/30/50/100 combo amp is based on new technology. Most of the sound creation and tonal shaping is performed in the digital domain, but the Valve Reactor power amp is 100% analog. Passing the guitar signal through the analog-domain power amp stage is an important factor in capturing the feel and tone of the original amp for that model.
http://www.voxamps.com/us/valvetronix/valvereactor/
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by slipknot_420 at Aug 21, 2010,
Quote by slipknot_420
I cant believe you went and did research and still were wrong you just epically failed!
The Valve Reactor circuit used in the power amp of this VT15/30/50/100 combo amp is based on new technology. Most of the sound creation and tonal shaping is performed in the digital domain, but the Valve Reactor power amp is 100% analog. Passing the guitar signal through the analog-domain power amp stage is an important factor in capturing the feel and tone of the original amp for that model.

Analog =/= tube
You think one 12AX7 will capture the sound of a tube power amp? And do so better than an amp with an actual tube power amp? Am I reading that right? If so
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by slipknot_420

Even so, the Valve Reactor technology is very different from an all-tube power amp.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??