Page 1 of 3
I look at my favorite bands now and they've all either broken up, guys have died, or they're way past their prime. How many of you guys have seen a legendary band from the past in their prime? I.e went to a Nirvana concert in 91 or a Metallica concert in the 80s or early 90s. Or a Zeppelin concert in the 70s, etc. Old UGers who may have possibly went to a Beatles or Lennon concert? If you have, tell me what it was like.
Jackal saw Elvis in his prime.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
"Trans Princess". You're bitching over nothing, and you know it.
I'm too young to have seen a band before they descended into mediocrity.

All the bands I like are either has-beens or (hopefully) will-be's.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Last edited by rgrockr at Aug 21, 2010,
I saw Behold... The Arctopus when Charlie was still their drummer.
Ах, так вы не пьете и не курите?
Хорошо для вас: вы здоровым умрете!
I'm thinking that most of us here who are into bands of the olden days (whose prime was anytime other than present day) are too young to have gone to see them in their prime. There are a few older guys here, though (Jackal58, etc.).
Quote by rgrockr
I'm too young to have seen a band before they descended into mediocrity.

Pretty much what the entire Pit will answer, TS.
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
I saw Blink-182 in 2002.

It was before that shitty self titled album was out. Actually, it was before Take Off Your Pants and Jacket as well.

I've seen a few other bands that I guess would be "in their prime" as well. I saw System of a Down at Ozzfest in 2006. That was right before they went on hiatus.
Yes, I was lucky enough to be a teen in the late 70s-80s. Saw pretty much every band that came to Toronto back then from ACDC to Zappa, probably over 50 concerts. I think I saw Rush about 15 times...it was always a smokefest , you could smoke cigarettes in stadiums back then so weed was everywhere and the air was thick with black hash smoke. This was even before HYdro.

Good times.

Some memorable ones include Floyd, Crimson, Yes, Maiden, Who, Aerosmith, Bowie, ZZ, Stones and a lot I can't think of due to the drugs.
Last edited by Tempoe at Aug 21, 2010,
^^^^
I was proven wrong
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
Quote by Tempoe
Yes, I was lucky enough to be a teen in the late 70s-80s. Saw pretty much every band that came to Toronto back then from ACDC to Zappa, probably over 50 concerts. I think I saw Rush about 15 times...it was always a smokefest , you could smoke cigarettes in stadiums back then so weed was everywhere and the air was thick with black hash smoke. This was even before HYdro.

Good times.

WHAT ELSE WAS IT LIKE
Hm. I saw Tiger Army in like '05. I've seen Apocalyptica, Mum, Bassnectar, Excision, Datsik, Tool, Mars Volta and System of A Down in their prime.

I saw Satriani, Gilbert and Petrucci in like '07. I'd say they were in their prime.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Last edited by Vornik at Aug 21, 2010,
Quote by Zaphikh
I saw Behold... The Arctopus when Charlie was still their drummer.

Damn you!
Quote by Natrone
I'm a pretty hardcore Christian. I would like to sincerely apologize that you ran into that little fucktard

Quote by mystique facade
dale-banez made a fool of himself..lol

my gear:

oh wait, no one cares
I can't say I've seen any bands "In their prime" because I'm young, but I've been to many concerts and I've seen a lot of bands who I could see growing a lot bigger of a fan base, and becoming very popular and rising up.

Mainly Baroness is the one band I've seen that I hope only gets better and better.. I don't think I've ever liked a band so much so fast, and then getting to see them shortly after? AWESOME. Plus a great live show
Quote by Toniofalcon
WHAT ELSE WAS IT LIKE

It was really fun?

Yeah, they were mostly in Maple Leaf Gardens, long gone venue. Youtube has footage from a lot of the shows I saw, Queen was really good I remember, saw them twice at the Gardens. Oh yeah, can't forget Van Halen way back when they were just getting famous, that was pretty cool stuff he was doing, I remember thinking it was impossible to play that tapping stuff, nobody knew how to do it.
Last edited by Tempoe at Aug 21, 2010,
I think that Neil Young was and still is awesome, and I got to see him last year and I'm only fifteen, so that was pretty awesome. Every five seconds or so, you would get a whiff of cheap weed and people were offering you things left and right. But then Rockin' in The Free World came on, and everyone was just a giant happy family.
Quote by daytripper75
I saw Blink-182 in 2002.

It was before that shitty self titled album was out. Actually, it was before Take Off Your Pants and Jacket as well.

I've seen a few other bands that I guess would be "in their prime" as well. I saw System of a Down at Ozzfest in 2006. That was right before they went on hiatus.

You mean before their amazing magnum opus that is their self titled album?
I'm too young.

But my dad saw The Who many times. Most notably he once saw them 3 times in the same week, only paying for 1 of the concerts.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

I SHOULD have seen blink-182 after a 6 year wait last week but got kicked out only managed to run back in at the end for dammit.
Sidebar- Anyone notice how this generation ( inb4 subjective ) seems to have a low self esteem that most others didn't? Meaning that all of the other generations hated the previous generation ( 90s kids hated 80s bands, 80s kids hated disco shit, 70s hated flower power era, flower power kids hated 50s ) yet we kind of wish we were in all of those generations? Maybe this is inconclusive and it probably is, because somebody in the late 80s could've longed to see Zep in the 70s and other examples.. This probably is wrong, but just a thought.
Quote by Tempoe
It was really fun?

Yeah, they were mostly in Maple Leaf Gardens, long gone venue. Youtube has footage from a lot of the shows I saw, Queen was really good I remember, saw them twice at the Gardens. Oh yeah, can't forget Van Halen way back when they were just getting famous, that was pretty cool stuff he was doing, I remember thinking it was impossible to play that tapping stuff, nobody knew how to do it.

Except Genesis......
Listen to jazz, it'll make you a better guitar player.

Whatever you do, stay creative
Quote by christfudge
I SHOULD have seen blink-182 after a 6 year wait last week but got kicked out only managed to run back in at the end for dammit.

The show was a bit of a letdown anyway, setlist wasn't great.

Why'd you get kicked out?
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by asator

Why'd you get kicked out?

smoking it was my own fault really, but a girl got caught shagging in the toilets and got straight back in which kinda pissed me off. i thought the setlist looked okay i just wanted to hear songs from the untitled album.
Oh. Well they did play a lot of stuff from it, so understandable you'd have wanted to be there. But really, it wasn't worth 30 quid. There was a fair bit of fighting at the Aberdeen date and I don't think anybody got kicked out. Pretty weird stuff.
Quote by Toniofalcon
Sidebar- Anyone notice how this generation ( inb4 subjective ) seems to have a low self esteem that most others didn't? Meaning that all of the other generations hated the previous generation ( 90s kids hated 80s bands, 80s kids hated disco shit, 70s hated flower power era, flower power kids hated 50s ) yet we kind of wish we were in all of those generations? Maybe this is inconclusive and it probably is, because somebody in the late 80s could've longed to see Zep in the 70s and other examples.. This probably is wrong, but just a thought.

Nope. There are people that enjoy and hate everything in any age. Besides time didn't begin in the 60's.

There are plenty of modern people that dislike previous culture. There is also many ungrateful people that hate modern culture.
Quote by daytripper75
I saw Blink-182 in 2002.

It was before that shitty self titled album was out

I saw Sum 41 when Dave was still their guitarist, and A7X right when City of Evil came out
Quote by asator

If it was anything like the setlist they had when I saw them a year ago then I agree. It was pretty damn weak. Not enough of their older stuff.

They didn't play any of the stuff from their upcoming album though. Mostly due to the fact that they probably hadn't written much/any of it at that point.

Quote by TheReverend724

I saw Sum 41 when Dave was still their guitarist, and A7X right when City of Evil came out

It sucked. Get over it.

I saw Sum 41 after Dave left. They were still awesome.
^ I saw Sum at Warped, they kicked ass, but only because they played stuff from DTLI on, and only 1 song from Chuck. But Underclass Hero is a terrible, terrible album

AND BLINK'S SELF TITLED IS AWESOME!

When I saw blink last year the setlist was bomb
Last edited by TheReverend724 at Aug 21, 2010,
Quote by daytripper75
If it was anything like the setlist they had when I saw them a year ago then I agree. It was pretty damn weak. Not enough of their older stuff.

They didn't play any of the stuff from their upcoming album though. Mostly due to the fact that they probably hadn't written much/any of it at that point.

Well I saw them last Monday and I can confirm they're still not playing new stuff

They played a couple of old songs which were cool ("Don't Leave Me", namely) and played all the old singles except "M&Ms", but other than that the non singles were mostly from the self titled. It was basically just the greatest hits album though. No "Everytime I Look For You", "Online Songs", "Pathetic" or "Going Away To College" either.

EDIT:
Quote by daytripper75

I saw Sum 41 after Dave left. They were still awesome.

Truth in this post.
Last edited by asator at Aug 21, 2010,
Quote by asator
Well I saw them last Monday and I can confirm they're still not playing new stuff

They played a couple of old songs which were cool ("Don't Leave Me", namely) and played all the old singles except "M&Ms", but other than that the non singles were mostly from the self titled. It was basically just the greatest hits album though. No "Everytime I Look For You", "Online Songs", "Pathetic" or "Going Away To College" either.

That's why I thought it mostly sucked. It seemed like they just played most of their ST album, and then their big hits. No other stuff from before their ST.

Plus most of the audience consisted of 13 year old skinny guys, and 13 year old chubby girls. Most looked like they only listened to their ST, and a bunch of Angels and Airwaves. Plus none of them really seemed to get excited when Weezer played. Bastards.
Quote by daytripper75
That's why I thought it mostly sucked. It seemed like they just played most of their ST album, and then their big hits. No other stuff from before their ST.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/blink-182/2010/aberdeen-exhibition-centre-aberdeen-scotland-7bd59e68.html

That's the show I saw. Might as well post it

The night after in Glasgow was the exact same set but with "Violence" off the S/T near the start as well. Bunch of dickheads
I think their lack of enthusiasm might have made me enjoy their show less as well. They just didn't seem to have as much fun as they used to. When I saw them in 2002 they were great. They interacted with the audience a lot more, and Tom wasn't such a whiny little bitch.
Quote by daytripper75
I saw Blink-182 in 2002.

lulz the self titled was their best in my opinion.

And I wish I could of seen System of a Down.

I saw Muse this year, I'd say this is their prime even though I like their older albums. That's the only show I've ever been to.

Edit: sorry Daytripper, I didn't realise people were already bugging you about it.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Aug 21, 2010,
A few off the top of my head to show my age lol:

Jethro Tull - 1972
Yes - 1975
Rick Wakeman - A couple of times in '77 or '78
Metallica Tours for Master of Puppets and Justice for All
Stone Temple Pilots a couple of nights before Weiland's first rehab
Santana in 1977 and 1978

... and lots more that I can't remember. And oddly, I just started playing guitar 5 years ago!
Page 1 of 3