Poll: What guitar is the best for me?
Poll Options
View poll results: What guitar is the best for me?
Schecter Solo 6
15 23%
American Tele
30 47%
Jim Root Tele
9 14%
Other (Please specify)
10 16%
Voters: 64.
Page 1 of 2
Hey UG, just wanted to warn you that this thread is long as hell.

I'm looking for a new guitar to come after my epiphone les paul guitar. I've been looking around and playing different guitars, and have narrowed it down to 3 different guitars

1. Schecter Solo 6

Pros - Love the way it feels and especially looks. Great guitar for metal, has 24 frets which is always a bonus and inlays look awesome to me.

Cons - A little heavy weight wise, not as good cleans, afraid it won't be able to do anything new or different to my LP

2. American Standard Tele

Pros - Great cleans, can take distortion etc. very well. Good for anything that isn't metal. Feels great, is different to my LP, so I will have a wide variety of sounds

Cons - A little bit expensive, afraid it won't do metal as well as the other 2 guitars would.

3. Jim Root Signature Telecaster

Pros - Feels great, know it can do metal and high gain tones, different to my LP, is diverse and would do what I would want. The shop I'd buy it from has an AMAZING deal aswell

Cons - Don't know if it can take cleans as well, don't need labels

If you want to suggest a new guitar, you should know this..

I have a Blackstar HT 20 combo amp, with a Jemini Distortion pedal and a DD7. I play a wide variety of styles from Metallica and A7X to The Kooks and Beatles. I would like something very diverse that feels great. Price isn't TOO major but it helps if it were a bit lower. I'm not afraid of weight but I don't want it to be TOO heavy, but I don't want it to feel like a plastic toy either

Your thoughts? Which should I get? If possible, please include why.

Thanks in advance for the help, and hope it was detailed enough while not being too long.
GIMME FUE GIMMA FAI GIMMA DABAJAZA

Fender American Strat > Korg Chromatic Tuner > Jemini Distortion > Boss DD7 > Blackstar HT 20
Last edited by Dabestile at Aug 21, 2010,
Well, if all you're worried about with the American Tele is the ability to do metal, you could just get a stacked humbucker for the bridge, but I think Teles can do metal just fine, provided your amp is set right. So I'd go with that. =P
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
^ This guy speaks truth.

If you can get some sort of MIA Tele with a Humbucker in one of the two positions, I think you would be more than satisfied.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
I'd go with the Schecter, personally but as the above stated, a tele will work too.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Is it possible to try any of these out? If so, then that is the only way to know which is right for you.. And also I should ask..

Why have you narrowed it down to these? They are quite different is some cases, especially the Standard Tele vs. The Solo 6 or even the Root Tele..

What exactly do you need/want in a new guitar, ask yourself that first.

Is 24 frets a must? Do you need actives? Do you ONLY play metal? Do you NEED awesome cleans?
But would a telecaster set up like that still be able to do the cleans it's capable of now? I'm also not very fond of it's twang.

Fender American Strat > Korg Chromatic Tuner > Jemini Distortion > Boss DD7 > Blackstar HT 20
Yea i agree about the tele. Single coil pickups in my opinion are favorable to humbuckers because they can achieve that quacky sound, and can handle distortion well. And i also agree with the Stacked humbucker for metal.
CAPITALISM
Quote by diofan88
Naked with a bowl of cereal with headphones.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
Is it possible to try any of these out? If so, then that is the only way to know which is right for you.. And also I should ask..

Why have you narrowed it down to these? They are quite different is some cases, especially the Standard Tele vs. The Solo 6 or even the Root Tele..

What exactly do you need/want in a new guitar, ask yourself that first.

Is 24 frets a must? Do you need actives? Do you ONLY play metal? Do you NEED awesome cleans?

I've tried loads out, I've narrowed it down to these 3.

I've narrowed it down to my personal favorites. These are the guitars that just stand out for me

I want a new guitar to add a bit of diversity into my playing, since I find myself being disappointed by the limitations of a Les Paul

24 frets is not a must, I don't need actives, I don't only play metal, I play indie/punk etc. also. I don't need awesome cleans but they are are a good thing to have.

Also, I didn't think it mattered but just incase, I don't gig. Yet.

Last edited by Dabestile at Aug 21, 2010,
I'd say the Standard Tele sounds pretty right for you.

Like said above, you could either put a humbucker in whatever position you'd want it for heavier distortion type music, or get a stacked one, either way that Tele sounds pretty ideal for your tastes.

EDIT: ^ It can matter, in terms of reliability or build quality (Which are honestly well linked anyways). But if you get an MIA Tele, I don't think you'll need to worry about it's quality..
Last edited by TheAbsentOne at Aug 21, 2010,
ehh I'd say get the MIA Tele with a humbucker in the bridge maybe a stacked like the seymour duncan hot rails or if you want full size maybe a JB in the bridge.
Schecter C-1+
Crestwood Strat Copy (Modded Single Humbucker)
OLP MM2
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Ampeg B25B
Ampeg SVT 15e
RCG Doubleneck #1
Try an Iommi Epiphone Signature SG, I've got one. It can do everything from Heavy Metal to Blues. The pickups never get muddy no matter how much distortion you put through them and they clean up nicely. Its got 24 frets. One of the more versatile guitars out there. Can't go wrong.

I had to set mine up, but once I did it's not disappointing. Plays better than the lower end gibsons for my money. And it looks awesome as well. Try one, you won't regret it.
Quote by disfigured-scum
humbucker in the bridge of the tele with coil splitting son.

I'd actually recommend the Tele that is a HH & getting a set of P-Rails stuck in.

You then get the best of 3 worlds - SC-Rails, P-90, Humbucker.

You will need 2 switches installing though, or 2 push-pull pots.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
If you like the American Tele, I highly recommend this tele, I think this is actually the best guitar I've ever picked up, better than a PRS custom 24 even, I was blown away.

http://www.amazon.com/Fender-Special-Spalted-Telecaster-Electric/dp/B002JSX4JU
Would I have to find this guitar online or in a store or can I actually do this myself? I'm not very good with electricals or customization in general and this sounds like it would be VERY expensive.

The Jim Root tele also had the best deal, and was definately the one I liked the most playability wise, the fretboard was smooth and it looks really good. Is there any way I could get that neck or that guitar and customize that?

If you can afford it, you could get the Jim Root tele and put some peizio saddles on it, that way, you can have great high gain tones, but also super clean acoustic-y tones.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by smartalec007
If you can afford it, you could get the Jim Root tele and put some peizio saddles on it, that way, you can have great high gain tones, but also super clean acoustic-y tones.

Do saddles even matter that much? I didn't realise they affected the tone at ALL.

The Epi LP should be able to handle metal. If you want even you can put actives in there (Assuming you have a decent amp) and make that your primarily metal guitar.

After, get the tele and have some epic versatility.

But you seriously need to try them out. You might like the Solo-6 neck more than the tele neck.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/schecter_solo_custom_fsb.htm

The passive pickup version should be able to handle cleans just fine. (It should definitely be better than the Epi LP)
Quote by Dabestile
Do saddles even matter that much? I didn't realise they affected the tone at ALL.

Saddles with piezo pickups in them affect the tone drasticly.
Quote by siverstorm
The Epi LP should be able to handle metal. If you want even you can put actives in there (Assuming you have a decent amp) and make that your primarily metal guitar.

After, get the tele and have some epic versatility.

But you seriously need to try them out. You might like the Solo-6 neck more than the tele neck.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/schecter_solo_custom_fsb.htm

The passive pickup version should be able to handle cleans just fine. (It should definitely be better than the Epi LP)

I have tried loads of guitars out, I've narrowed it down to these 3 for the reasons I put in my first post.

I thought about that and thought it would be the best idea, but it's POSSIBLE, not certain, that I might sell my LP in a year or so. I'd like a guitar that I can hold onto and use alone.

To me it seems like the Schecter is a predominately metal guitar, the Telecaster is a predominately clean guitar and the Jim Root Telecaster is the best of both worlds, but I could be wrong, since I didn't hear it's cleans properly in the shop that I tried it in.

Tomorrow, I'm going go to back into the shop and try out the Schecter Solo 6 again, and compare it with a Telecaster they would have. The Jim Root Telecaster is in a different shop so unfortunately I can't compare.

Also,

Quote by consecutive e
Saddles with piezo pickups in them affect the tone drasticly.

How? Don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting you, I just had no idea that saddles affected the tone at all.

Didn't you say Piezo Saddle in your first post in this thread? You didn't talk about a Piezo pickup

Last edited by Dabestile at Aug 22, 2010,
Have you considered the Jim Root Strat? Since you like metal, but don't like the tele twang, that might be a good idea to consider.
Aside from that, I'd say go for the tele. Gibson, Fender and PRS are guitars to last a lifetime. Schecters are something you might grow out of.
Also when I think Schecter, I think 14 yr old wannabe metalheads playing through their line 6 spider, along to Avenged Sevenfold.
Quote by Dabestile

To me it seems like the Schecter is a predominately metal guitar
, the Telecaster is a predominately clean guitar and the Jim Root Telecaster is the best of both worlds, but I could be wrong, since I didn't hear it's cleans properly in the shop that I tried it in.

Tomorrow, I'm going go to back into the shop and try out the Schecter Solo 6 again, and compare it with a Telecaster they would have. The Jim Root Telecaster is in a different shop so unfortunately I can't compare.

Slightly wrong. Most would argue that the Jim Root tele is less versatile due to the EMGs. Assuming you're looking at the Solo-6 with passive pickups it would be more versatile than the Jim Root.
If you want somethin rockin with good looks

There is a SG (standard) from GC !Only! with coil taps, burstbucker pickups, 60s style neck and ebony fretboards for 100 dollars more than the standard. This thing is amazing, you could get just about any tone you could ever image with this, look in my sig below for a pic of mine!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-SG-Standard-with-Coil-Taps-Electric-Guitar-105474654-i1476657.gc
Quote by siverstorm
Slightly wrong. Most would argue that the Jim Root tele is less versatile due to the EMGs. Assuming you're looking at the Solo-6 with passive pickups it would be more versatile than the Jim Root.

I think the Solo 6 I'm looking to buy has active pickups, though I really don't know the difference between the 2.

My guitar teacher told me to buy what feels good, and the sound can be changed through the pickups if it had to. If I were to follow this advice I would buy the Jim Root Telecaster and put some kind of new pickups on there. Is that recommended?

Absolutely.

If that's the case and you have the money to swap pickups then you should definitely do that. Though the general consensus with actives is: "If you don't know much about them they aren't for you." So if you really love the look and feel of the jim root tele and you want to swap pups you should do that.

If you want good cleans you'll need passives. It's not that the EMGs can't do cleans, its just that passives are way better at it IMO and the typical passive humbucker can do metal perfectly well.
Can someone give me examples of bands that do metal and hard rock with passive pickups?

What you need to do is....
1, Turn off the computer
2,Get out of the house and go to a music store
3,Open the door and walk inside.....go on it is good for you
4,Pick up the first guitar that looks interesting
5,Plug the above guitar into an amp and start playing(no smoke on the water please)
6,Put that guitar down pick up a different one and start all over playing it.....rinse and repeat for an hour or so
7, Leave the store do not buy anything the first time out
8, Do you dream about any of the guitars you play? Do you feel an inner need for that guitar? If the answer is no then go to another store and preform the entire ritual over again
9,Keep at it until you meet with the perfect guitar.Remember you do not pick the guitar it picks you
10,Ignore advise from morons on the internet and buy what sounds and feels good to you
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by Dabestile
Can someone give me examples of bands that do metal and hard rock with passive pickups?

Judas Priest and Motorhead come to mind but,there are way too many to list. Active pickups have a place but more music has been recorded on passive pickups then actives ever will.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Like i was been yesterday in shop, seller was said "Fender Strat and Tele are the best guitar ever"
Well, I try my best
To be just like I am
But everybody wants you
To be just like them

Bob Dylan
Quote by Dabestile

2. American Standard Tele

Pros - Great cleans, can take distortion etc. very well. Good for anything that isn't metal. Feels great, is different to my LP, so I will have a wide variety of sounds

Cons - A little bit expensive, afraid it won't do metal as well as the other 2 guitars would.

I said the same thing....took it back and got a Gibson SG standard.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Quote by Dabestile

How? Don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting you, I just had no idea that saddles affected the tone at all.

Didn't you say Piezo Saddle in your first post in this thread? You didn't talk about a Piezo pickup

...Piezo saddles are saddles with piezo pickups on them that are wired up to the guitar.
Watch this, that guitar has piezo pickups on the bridge saddles.
Is there anywhere that will explain to me things about different types of pickups, just the more important differences? My knowledge of pickups is seriously lacking.

Quote by Dabestile

Well you can go to the DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan sites and read up on descriptions. (Usually the sites have an artist roster, but I'm not 100% sure)

I warn you to read them first see what seems interesting and then post back with questions on specific models.

I could help with very few models, but there are some people who've been studying and playing many different types pickups for quite a long time who could help you much more than I could.
You could try a G&L Rampage, they have signature models going for $600. Don't be put off because it's a signature model, think of it as a perfected model.

It handles metal well, but only has one volume knob and a single humbucker. It sounds and plays great. It's pretty barebones but it's a very good guitar and I'd say it beats quite a few $1000+ guitars. It either has motor city or alnico V's I'm not sure.
So is the best option to get a Jim Root Telecaster and change the pickups if I end up disliking the sound, then? How much would pickups cost and how would I go about putting new ones in?

Page 1 of 2