Hey this is a song I threw together after getting my pod. I was tuned to A# learning the new The Ghost Inside album so I figured why not record that way. Nothing fancy, it was written with the intention of having vocals added later to help add some, currently lacking, depth. It's also the first track I've tried to mix so any tips in that regard would be greatly appreciated! Any and all comments welcome, C4C. Hope you enjoy!

The song is called Bridges now:
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Odirunn/music/all/play885271
Last edited by Odirunn at Aug 26, 2010,
I really don't need anything looked at but this sounds pretty damned good to me, just wanted to ask what kind of signal chain and EQ you're using to get these tones, this sounds better than anything I think I've got out of my line6 stuff...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Odirunn
Hey this is a song I threw together after getting my pod. I was tuned to A# learning the new The Ghost Inside album so I figured why not record that way. Nothing fancy, it was written with the intention of having vocals added later to help add some, currently lacking, depth. It's also the first track I've tried to mix so any tips in that regard would be greatly appreciated! Any and all comments welcome, C4C. Hope you enjoy!

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Odirunn/music/all/play885271

If u make a cd i will buy it!!!
That was really good alot of feeling in that shit!!
Goodjob
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I really don't need anything looked at but this sounds pretty damned good to me, just wanted to ask what kind of signal chain and EQ you're using to get these tones, this sounds better than anything I think I've got out of my line6 stuff...

Signal chain:
Guitar > Noisegate (Threshold -27dB, Decay 4%) > Line 6 Big Bottom Head (Drive 5, Bass 6, Mid 7.5, Treb 6, Presence 7, Volume 7) > Cab (4x12 Green 25s) > EQ 5 dB boost at 600 Hz > Line 6 Compressor Threshold -2 dB, Gain 2 dB

This is for the distorted tone. There's 3 guitar tracks, panned hard L/R and one centered. When mixing, I furthered EQ'd each guitar track, boosting mids, dropping most of the sub bass out of the non chugging parts, etc, to make room for the kick drum and 808 drops.

The 'clean' tone in the intro is a funky stock tone called 60's Sci Fi. The clean tone during the chorus is a basic clean tone with a bit of chorus played with the bridge pick up.

Thanks a lot for all the kind words guys! Hopefully I'll have another track up in the next week or two.
Last edited by Odirunn at Aug 21, 2010,
Dude, this is awesome!

I can't think of anything bad about it. 0.o
Pretty well done, good tone, I really like it. 'Tis teh br00tz.

I enjoyed it. If you just so happened to make a CD, there's a chance I would buy it.

Anyways, I like it if you took a look at my newest songs, (they're pretty short,) critique and what not.

*Clicky*
Quote by Odirunn
Signal chain:
Guitar > Noisegate (Threshold -27dB, Decay 4%) > Line 6 Big Bottom Head (Drive 5, Bass 6, Mid 7.5, Treb 6, Presence 7, Volume 7) > Cab (4x12 Green 25s) > EQ 5 dB boost at 600 Hz > Line 6 Compressor Threshold -2 dB, Gain 2 dB

This is for the distorted tone. There's 3 guitar tracks, panned hard L/R and one centered. When mixing, I furthered EQ'd each guitar track, boosting mids, dropping most of the sub bass out of the non chugging parts, etc, to make room for the kick drum and 808 drops.

The 'clean' tone in the intro is a funky stock tone called 60's Sci Fi. The clean tone during the chorus is a basic clean tone with a bit of chorus played with the bridge pick up.

Awesome, thanks a lot dude! It is fast becoming clear that I need the extra amp models from line6...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I'm liking it a lot. It's got one of those odd rhythm's that since up well to 4/4 that gives me a mean chubby, lol. I didn't care the least bit that there was no solo either. Song structure was fantastic and I'd love to hear the right kind of vocals with it, as long as it's not pig squeals. I'll rate it an 8.5/10

Good job
Agree with Bdof the rhythm is excellent! and that chorus oh god, it has so much potential for some insanely epic vocals. very well done indeed sir. If you ever do throw some vocals on keep me posted.
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
I really enjoyed this track, good job man. Loved the tone, nice and crisp and not too gainy. The drums sounded awesome and pretty real i'm not sure if they were programmed or not? I have a feeling that maybe some Amon Amarth-style vocals would go well over this, except with cleanly sung bits in as well (even though i can see the deathcore influences, i just thought that vocal style would suit this for some reason). I like the lead parts but i think an epic solo would have suited this song, maybe over one of the melodic parts. But still, i like it as it is. Honestly nothing to criticize apart from that one tiny thing. Overall great job

Btw if you do add vocals, please let me know cause i'd wanna hear that.

If you could check out my tracks and just tell me what you think that would be awesome, here's the link: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1353570
Quote by 12Jim34
I really enjoyed this track, good job man. Loved the tone, nice and crisp and not too gainy. The drums sounded awesome and pretty real i'm not sure if they were programmed or not? I have a feeling that maybe some Amon Amarth-style vocals would go well over this, except with cleanly sung bits in as well (even though i can see the deathcore influences, i just thought that vocal style would suit this for some reason). I like the lead parts but i think an epic solo would have suited this song, maybe over one of the melodic parts. But still, i like it as it is. Honestly nothing to criticize apart from that one tiny thing. Overall great job

Btw if you do add vocals, please let me know cause i'd wanna hear that.

If you could check out my tracks and just tell me what you think that would be awesome, here's the link: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1353570

The drums are actually ezdrummer DFH, I just spent about 2 hours mixing them to sound as realistic as possible. Nice to hear it payed off!

For all you guys asking about vocals: I'm gonna start on them this week. I've already got the chorus written and I think I'm going to go with a melodic hardcore feel a la Counterparts/It Prevails/The Ghost Inside.

Thanks again for everyone checking it out!
Epic song man, added and sub'd.
One day met a and he was all like because he had
never met a before. I told about the powers that this
possessed and he proceeded to it for its magical meat.
Then died. The End.
Wow dude, I totally dig this!

The sound is amazing!
The guitar was a bit bassy when I first heard it, but my ears got used to that troughout the song. (Maybe you could take some bass off the guitars and get that low end from a bass guitar? Not sure if you used one).
Overall the tone is sick.

Then the composition itself: REALLY good!!
The Riffs are really brutal and groovy.
Your timing is spot on!
You have a really nice sense of melody and feeling troughout the song.
I am completely in love with the melodic part (the chorus?), really insane melody layering and riffs.
The end is really nice too since you actually place that chugging riff in some kind of mode (lydian or something, don't know too much about that ;P).

I can't say much else about this little gem, get a good singer and release more of this things, coz' it's REALLY killer!!
Guitarist for: Delain, Arrow Haze, Vengeance, Tri-Head and others.

Official Endorser/Clinicer of:

Aristides Guitars
Nice structure, Bass drum seems like it's pumping at certain spots and the bass guitar also seems non existent (these are of course my opinions) Guitar levels don't seem even to me. Loving your drum sounds. what snare is that?
Quote by Jherman
Nice structure, Bass drum seems like it's pumping at certain spots and the bass guitar also seems non existent (these are of course my opinions) Guitar levels don't seem even to me. Loving your drum sounds. what snare is that?

Which uneven parts are you talking about? It's the default snare in the original EZdrummer and it's EQ'd and reverb'd separately from the other parts which are DFH.
Let's party.
when you switch from the intro into the little interlude thing into the actual "verse" or whatever that is, it sounds like it goes, quiet... super loud... kinda loud. (this is all my opinion btw so take it with a grain of salt.) I really enjoy the songwriting though. well done!
Sounds like a less technical Periphery song, which is a very good thing. That chorus is epic too. My only complaint is that the chugging parts at 0:15 and 3:05 sound a bit empty compared to the rest of the song, maybe add some keys to fill it out?
Gear:
Ibanez RG570 circa 1993
Ibanez S2020XAV
Carvin DC127
EVH 5153 50w
Orange PPC112
AxeFX II
Excellent work here, the riffing was spot on throughout. Intro drew me in nicely, then hit me in the face perfectly! I do think some of the transitions could be reworked a little so it'd all flow together even better. The chorus was spectacular, nice subtle yet effective variations and the clean guitar on top was a great touch. Great outro, however it feels somehow lacking... like a few drum fills in there that separate it from the intro and then the fade out would sound great to my ears.
9/10 proper decent stuff dude
Definitely reminds me of Periphery altho unique as well, really good sound man. Good guitar tone, and drums sound good as well. Likin it man !
It doesn't sound bad, but at the same time to me it sounds like a generic deathcore/metalcore song. I didn't really like it.
Odirunn,
I'm here to comment on "Bridges" (Mixed): Intro & outro sound really nice! Audio quality is very good, as are the drums. Playing is tight! Once in awhile, I wouldn't have minded hearing a few vocals. Some of the guitar riffs are really good, some are pretty wild! Recording is quite good.