Hey UG.

So I have been practicing as usual, usually 6-8 hours a day. This is nothing new I just thought I would disclose so no one will have to ask later. I have been practicing this certain part of a song that requires chords and a hendrix style soloing around those chords. So when this happens after a couple hours I will get a nice muscle pain (sometimes sharp but rarely) at the bottom of my hand in the middle of my wrist of my fretting hand.

I am really just trying to see if this pain is muscles being worked and beneficial or if its detrimental and bad in the future.

NOTE: this is not my hand, just an example.
That's a really bad place for a pain. It could be the beginning of an RSI. I recommend taking a couple days off. And/or try limiting your practice for a while. 6-8 hours would drain anyone.
Quote by Martindecorum
That can be very bad, what may be happening is some nerves getting squished while you play have a read about Carple Tunnel (Sp?)

So there is no muscle in that area?

I mean I can't avoid that pain if I want to practice this part, I'm thinking my neck is too thin to do what I need it to and therefore it is causing pain.
Quote by yearzero
That's a really bad place for a pain. It could be the beginning of an RSI. I recommend taking a couple days off. And/or try limiting your practice for a while. 6-8 hours would drain anyone.

Damn, Really? I can't avoid that pain during that certain part at the moment. Like I said above I believe the back of the neck may be too thin and helping the pain, maybe not. I guess I should chill from practicing that part.
Quote by Funk Monk
Damn, Really? I can't avoid that pain during that certain part at the moment. Like I said above I believe the back of the neck may be too thin and helping the pain, maybe not. I guess I should chill from practicing that part.

Yeah. Don't stress yet because you caught it early. But it sounds like your nerves are getting pinched in that area which will definitely lead to carpel tunnel if you ignore it. And if you can't avoid that pain there is something wrong already. Take some time off and get some more opinions. You don't want to take this lightly.
Quote by yearzero
Yeah. Don't stress yet because you caught it early. But it sounds like your nerves are getting pinched in that area which will definitely lead to carpel tunnel if you ignore it. And if you can't avoid that pain there is something wrong already. Take some time off and get some more opinions. You don't want to take this lightly.

Yeah thanks man i'm not stressing, I will just practice the parts slower and take it easy.

Thanks everyone.