Perceptions [Remix] (title subject to change): http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/DestructoX/music/all/play885688 or http://soundcloud.com/bornofmaya/perceptions

My first try at mixing. Comments welcome.

Remix edit: So after all the comments, here is what I changed, or left:

Guitars: re-recorded about 3 parts that were really sloppy and removed 2 parts from the beginning so its not so noisy/complex. I am going to re-record the lead parts when I find a good tone.
Guitar tone: used the same tone (medium bass, high mids, high treble) because its the kind of tone I'm looking for, but I might change it a bit when I record the final version.
Guitars mix: I cut down the bass levels once and I cut down the high levels twice on all of the guitars, and boosted the mid level of the left guitar.
Drums mix: I raised the general volume of the drums, and raised the individual volumes of the toms, cymbals and the snare. I also removed the bass boost from the general mix and added it to the drums only.
Last edited by DestructoX at Aug 22, 2010,
I just gone done listening to it.

A little bit of criticism...

Personally, the guitars tone is a little too trebly. Just needs a bit more bass/mids. Also, it was a tad sloppy... (no offense, not trying to be a dick.) Still sounded pretty good, though.

It was mixed pretty well, but I (personally) think the drums should have been a bit higher in the mix. The quieter parts were pretty cool, a good transition.

Altogether, I enjoyed it. I could definitely tell it was influenced by a lot of hardcore bands, and a bit of death metal, maybe.

Pretty cool, I really enjoyed it. Nicely done!

SlayingEdit: Oh, so that's what C4C means....

Well, don't mind if you do.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/SlayingDragons/music/all/play885331
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Aug 21, 2010,
Not enough mids altogether. A bit too much lows on the guitars. the song is BR00TZ
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG355OXM
Fender Mexican Deluxe Series Stratocaster
Fender Squire Bullet
Schecter Damien Elite 8
Yamaha F325 Acoustic

Amps
Peavey 5150 II Full stack
Peavey 2001 Studio Pro 112
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by SlayingDragons
I just gone done listening to it.

A little bit of criticism...

Personally, the guitars tone is a little too trebly. Just needs a bit more bass/mids. Also, it was a tad sloppy... (no offense, not trying to be a dick.) Still sounded pretty good, though.

It was mixed pretty well, but I (personally) think the drums should have been a bit higher in the mix. The quieter parts were pretty cool, a good transition.

Altogether, I enjoyed it. I could definitely tell it was influenced by a lot of hardcore bands, and a bit of death metal, maybe.

Pretty cool, I really enjoyed it. Nicely done!

Thank you for your criticism. I actually boosted the mids on the guitars mix, and boosted the bass on the general mix, but I guess I'll need to boost them a bit more.

I realize some parts are sloppy or not synchronized properly, still working on it, and will rerecord the ending especially. I'll see what I can do about the drums.

Last edited by DestructoX at Aug 21, 2010,
Hey, thanks for checking out my song.

I had a bit of trouble getting into this at the start, it was just so busy (melodies, counter melodies, synth, etc) and pretty undefined. However, I like what you were going for and with the right tone/mixing changes, it will sound awesome. The tone is really thin and tinny: high gain, high treble, high bass, lacking mids. I'd definitely cut some of those lows from the guitars so you can boost that kick up as well as maybe cut down on the drive. Cleaning up the highs will also let the cymbals sound a lot clearer. Also, if you're going to have a lot of 'moving parts' I'd suggest trying different tones for each track, it really adds to the over all sound, instead of it sounding like 1 guitar playing a bunch of stuff at the same time.

Overall I like it and can't wait to hear it remixed/recorded!
As stated before, seems like way too much happening in the intro. I think there is a track or two that could come out. Around the one minute mark, things take shape pretty well. Drums could probably come out a little more. Quiet part is cool. In the latter half of the second minute, the lead is way too trebly, and personally I think you could create a better lead for it IMO, however, after a quick second listen, maybe a better tone (I'm thinking neck pickup, fatter tone, some delay and reverb) the lead itself might work.

All in all. You have a pretty cool idea. Drums could come up, maybe certain guitars down a bit, and also I would consider losing some of the parts that seem to convolute things a bit much, as some parts just seem to sound way to busy. Playing might be a touch sloppy in a few places, buy hey, a demo is a demo!

Overall cool piece. I'd keep working on it. Really like to hear it after some revision!
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Quote by Nexus_Black
Not enough mids altogether. A bit too much lows on the guitars. the song is BR00TZ

Thanks you your input. Actually the tone itself has high mids, high treble, and medium bass. On the first mix I added a mid boost to the guitars and a bass boost on the general mix. I remixed the song to have better levels, so check out remix.
Quote by Odirunn
Hey, thanks for checking out my song.

I had a bit of trouble getting into this at the start, it was just so busy (melodies, counter melodies, synth, etc) and pretty undefined. However, I like what you were going for and with the right tone/mixing changes, it will sound awesome. The tone is really thin and tinny: high gain, high treble, high bass, lacking mids. I'd definitely cut some of those lows from the guitars so you can boost that kick up as well as maybe cut down on the drive. Cleaning up the highs will also let the cymbals sound a lot clearer. Also, if you're going to have a lot of 'moving parts' I'd suggest trying different tones for each track, it really adds to the over all sound, instead of it sounding like 1 guitar playing a bunch of stuff at the same time.

Overall I like it and can't wait to hear it remixed/recorded!

Thank you very much for your detailed comment. I removed some of the unneeded guitar parts in the beginning. My tone actually had high mids, but since I added even more mids to the guitars mix, it made sound like it had a lot of treble. Check the first post for a full detail of what I changed.
Quote by sjones
As stated before, seems like way too much happening in the intro. I think there is a track or two that could come out. Around the one minute mark, things take shape pretty well. Drums could probably come out a little more. Quiet part is cool. In the latter half of the second minute, the lead is way too trebly, and personally I think you could create a better lead for it IMO, however, after a quick second listen, maybe a better tone (I'm thinking neck pickup, fatter tone, some delay and reverb) the lead itself might work.

All in all. You have a pretty cool idea. Drums could come up, maybe certain guitars down a bit, and also I would consider losing some of the parts that seem to convolute things a bit much, as some parts just seem to sound way to busy. Playing might be a touch sloppy in a few places, buy hey, a demo is a demo!

Overall cool piece. I'd keep working on it. Really like to hear it after some revision!

Thanks for the opinion! I've edited the beginning, removed some unnecessary guitar parts, so check out the remix! I've fixed the drums to come out a bit more also. I've lower the treble of the lead tone, but I'll re-record it with a different tone later on. Check out the first post for a full detail of what I changed.
Last edited by DestructoX at Aug 22, 2010,
Quote by AbsentMind
that was pretty good... the intro has too much going on, sometimes the simple way sounds the best... overall i like your idea...

check out my song:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1349115

try to look past the bad quality and tell me what you think...

keep up the good work!

Thanks for the comment! I've fixed up the beginning, removing 2 guitar parts. Check out the first post for a full detail of what I changed.

I'm listening to your song now and I'll comment on your thread.
Quote by SlayingDragons
SlayingEdit: Oh, so that's what C4C means....

Well, don't mind if you do.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/SlayingDragons/music/all/play885331

I liked the vibe of Captivate, you should continue developing that one with some rhythm parts added and all that. The rest need better recording/tone to get a better idea. Keep on experimenting, you'll find and will make some pretty good stuff.