Im soon joining my cousins metalcore band. The lead guitarist has a marshall full stack mg 100watt. I have to get new amp to compete. Ive also been into tube amps for the sound, and i play a lot of different kinds of music, so i dont wanna get an amp only suited for heavier stuff. I found a deal on a peavey classic. (http://providence.craigslist.org/msg/1911997169.html). I am obviously aware the distortion on this amp, will probably not meet up to my standard. Would i be all set if i bought one of those tube screamer pedals. for ex. (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Damage-Control-Solid-Metal-Dual-Tube-Distortion-Pedal?sku=154702)
All suggestions appreciated. :]
The amp could do just up to old metallica, i doubt it's going to give you the bottom end you need though. You will cut through alot better and sound better than your other guitar player though
definitely jump on that XXX if you can, they've got great high gain sound but can do a lot of other stuff well too
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Aug 21, 2010,
you need to compete with a mg stack i have a fender frontman 10 that will sound better lol,
But the xxx is way better than classic 50!
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by JoePerry4life
+2, that amp will blow the mg outta the water.

+5, amen to that!
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by slipknot_420
you need to compete with a mg stack i have a fender frontman 10 that will sound better lol,
But the xxx is way better than classic 50!

I had both a XXX and a Classic 50 and I disagree. The XXX was extremely compressed and bright, and while the classic may not have nearly as much gain, it still is much more articulate and usable.