Hi. I would like to know more about the quality of acoustic's amps. Preferably their bass amps. Can anyone help?
CAPITALISM
Quote by diofan88
Naked with a bowl of cereal with headphones.
We had one at the church I used to go to. It wasn't bad. Good clear kinda tones but it doesn't have any form of breakup, which is a big deal for me, maybe not for you.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
i have an acoustic b 200 combo. it is fantastic. it gets that gritty loud tone that i love, but can also stay clean if you want it to.
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
The new ones (Guitar Center's "Acoustic") are good value, but they're not of the highest quality and are made in China. The vintage Acoustics are professional-level quality that were made in the USA with top notch components and sound wonderful. Here are mine:

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
vintage Acoustic amps are cool, back in the day you could see some pretty heavy hitters running acoustic rigs (jaco pastorious, john paul jones), they were also played by a number of pop bands (jackson 5...). they were known for economy (they were relatively cheap back in the day compared to the competition) but they also had a KILLER modular design that is FULLY documented in their user's guide (complete with troubleshooting procedures!).

you will be hard pressed to find anybody making as high quality and intuitive SS systems as vintage Acoustic rigs.

modern Acoustic bass amps... i don't know about. i seriously doubt there is a through-board modular design, so there will be liitle accessibility for repair; more likely it will be a highly integrated SMD.

my 150b/156, i do love it so... it's a 68 that i picked up for 350 usd.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
they were known for economy (they were relatively cheap back in the day compared to the competition) but they also had a KILLER modular design that is FULLY documented in their user's guide (complete with troubleshooting procedures!).

That's not true at all. Acoustic always stated themselves that all of their gear was professional level and none of it was cheap. They had some "lower end" items, but that was in relation to their top of the range stuff. The Acoustic big boys like the 360/361pp or the 370/301 were some of the most expensive bass amps that you could buy, they were exactly on par with the SVT which was one of the only "big" amps in that era. Here is a price list from 1974, keep in mind that these are 1974 dollars which are worth a lot more today due to inflation.

The modularity was only present in the 100-level amps AFAIK, but don't quote me on that. I will say that all their amps were built extraordinarily well and techs will love them.

Gumbi, I love your 156. It looks hawt.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
thats strange, dude who sold it to me said he sold so many acoustics cuz they were half the price of the svt setups, but that price list says otherwise.

he also said acoustic fell off the face of the earth because the owner was bitten by a snake in one of the crazy 'snake charmer' churches.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
They are quite a decent amp but on a par with an SVT? Hardly. Chalk and cheese, an SVT makes it sound like a piece of junk. Definitely a useable rig but SVTs are heavenly (esp if you have somebody else to lift it)
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by gumbilicious
thats strange, dude who sold it to me said he sold so many acoustics cuz they were half the price of the svt setups, but that price list says otherwise.

he also said acoustic fell off the face of the earth because the owner was bitten by a snake in one of the crazy 'snake charmer' churches.

Yeah, nowadays they are a lot cheaper because the company folded a while ago and they kind of declined in price. It's great because they sound amazing and are such a bargain nowadays. I'm pretty sure that's BS about the owner (Steve Marks). I've been emailing Russ Allee who is one of the original engineers who designed the 360, 370 and more and he's such a nice guy. It's too bad Acoustic ever went under, they really cared about the customers and their products.
Quote by Cathbard
They are quite a decent amp but on a par with an SVT? Hardly. Chalk and cheese, an SVT makes it sound like a piece of junk. Definitely a useable rig but SVTs are heavenly (esp if you have somebody else to lift it)

I will fight you to the death on this. Obviously you're not a bass player and you don't know what you're saying because anyone who knows would not disagree with my statement. I would rather play a 360/361pp or a 370/301 over an SVT/8x10 any day of the week. THIS is the real deal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJfiYdQcQtc
Jaco was a loyal Acoustic player for a reason. He was also one of the greatest bassists of all time, so you know, that probably doesn't matter. Right?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
I will fight you to the death on this. Obviously you're not a bass player and you don't know what you're saying because anyone who knows would not disagree with my statement. I would rather play a 360/361pp or a 370/301 over an SVT/8x10 any day of the week. THIS is the real deal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJfiYdQcQtc
Jaco was a loyal Acoustic player for a reason. He was also one of the greatest bassists of all time, so you know, that probably doesn't matter. Right?

I far prefer the bite of an SVT. Maybe you are more into smooth bass than me.
Agree to disagree we should I think, hmmm?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5XeVLJeMdE
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 22, 2010,
Quote by Cathbard
I far prefer the bite of an SVT. Maybe you are more into smooth bass than me.
Agree to disagree we should I think, hmmm?

Sure, I can agree to that. It's the part where you called it junk that I can't agree with and is just plain wrong. There's a reason why people are left in awe after hearing 371 rigs, it's because it sounds glorious and can level houses with its power.

EDIT: I've played and heard SVTs, so I'm not just blindly shouting. They sound great, but the Acoustic sound is what makes me smile.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last edited by Dr.Pain-MD at Aug 22, 2010,
Well every time I've been left in awe of a bassist's sound it's invariably an SVT sitting behind him.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
That's true though, SVTs are the go-to amps for a lot of bassists. They sound great and have their own thing going on, but they don't have that Acoustic punch. That's why I feel even more special and happy playing my Acoustics, not many people still do. I can't wait to get my 300 serviced so that I can shake the ground with the massive power. :demon:

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

After leaving Acoustic (he was the genius behind many of their designs), Steve Rabe went on to found SWR Amplification. If you are looking for the modern successor to the original Acoustic, SWR is your amp. Sadly, he left the company some years ago but SWR amps are still fantastic (and for the most part, expensive).

The new Acoustic amplifiers are fine amps at very good prices. They aren't the old Acoustic, but they aren't meant to be. They are loud, versatile and they are now making cabinets with Neo speakers, so they are moving into a higher price bracket. Whether you like their tone is entirely subjective, like with any other amplifier. The only question remaining about them is how well they will hold up under touring conditions over the long haul. Only time will answer that one.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
The best bass I've ever heard was Les Claypool when I've seen him with Primus. SVT through a Mesa cab iirc. Awesome sound, completely blew me away. It does suit his technique too I guess - right amp for the style. A match made in heaven. The fact that he is my favorite bassist didn't hurt either I suppose.
Big fan of Chris Squire too and he's an Ampeg guy as well. Another bitey bass sound too. Seeing a pattern?
Don't get me wrong I think Acoustic amps sound good, just a little dull in comparison to my ear/taste.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ampeg's SVT is a fine amp and is justly famous, but a lot of people played it in the 70s because it was pretty much the only concert-sized amp being made. Most manufacturers ignored the bass almost completely. By the mid 70s Acoustic had folded, Sunn was on the way out, etc. It was also one of the very few all-tube bass amps available. We are much more fortunate to have so many good choices today.

Also, Chris Squire's bite came not from an Ampeg, or from a bass amp for that matter. Squire plays a Rickenbacker through a stereo rig: he split his signal between an SVT and a 100-watt Marshall SLP guitar amp for more high-end. I believe he still does. If you are looking for a sharp-edged tone from bass, listen to Lemmy of Motorhead. He uses a Marshall 100-watt Super Bass through a 4x15 cabinet and a 4x12 cabinet.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I actually need to build a valve bass preamp (I have a spare PA head to use as a power amp) and I hadn't considered basing it on a Marshall. Maybe I should. I do like Lemmy's sound. Thanks for the idea.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Didn't John Paul Jones use Acoustic amps back in the day? I would hardly call his tone dull at all. I know he now uses SWR...
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by MortifiedLizard
Didn't John Paul Jones use Acoustic amps back in the day? I would hardly call his tone dull at all. I know he now uses SWR...

It is compared to Primus or Yes (although conceded that Yes's bass sound is created with a lot more complexity than just a single bass amp)
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 22, 2010,
Quote by MortifiedLizard

Yes, he was an avid user of the 361 rig (360 head and powered 301 cabinet), but probably not in the studio.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣