Page 1 of 2
I just realized that I subconsciously raise my right foot slightly by tip-toeing, so I can keep the rhythm using my feet, and also to raise my guitar slightly so that it's easier to play.

No wonder my right foot always feels tired after playing. Kinda weird I know.

I also automatically check my guitar action (and sometimes bend the neck) before I play because I'm paranoid that my guitar neck has warped after staying in my bag overnight.

So GGnA, any strange, subconscious habits you guys have when playing?
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
i only use the middle finger of my left hand and only use upstroke picking with my right
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Whenever there's an opportunity to do so, I have a tendency to randomly slide my fretting hand up to the neck joint. I don't even touch the strings, I just slide up the back of the neck.
I move my tongue around in circles when Im playing fast parts. Ive tried doing it when not moving my tongue and I just can do it! Go figure.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
I guess we're all kind of weird haha.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

i do the foot thing. Except i take of all the weight off my right foot and i have my left foot flat and my right foot tilted up like Micheal jackson or something...
i wish i could do the moon walk and solo... <----that was random!
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
i hang my mouth open, like a really drunk person, sometimes when i play stoned, i end up drooling.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Quote by Aashraya
i do the foot thing. Except i take of all the weight off my right foot and i have my left foot flat and my right foot tilted up like Micheal jackson or something...
i wish i could do the moon walk and solo... <----that was random!

That would actually be so very awesome to see
Quote by Oldmonkeys
That would actually be so very awesome to see

i'm going to pull it off one day!!
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Quote by gnaraaron
i hang my mouth open, like a really drunk person, sometimes when i play stoned, i end up drooling.

I will admit, I've drooled on my fingerboard before. 'Twasn't nice at all.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by HellBoy9393
I will admit, I've drooled on my fingerboard before. 'Twasn't nice at all.

i dont do it on purpose but sometimes i stick my tongue out and

headbanging + tongue out = spit flying everywhere. The look on my bands face was priceless though :P I think it hit one of them in the eye.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
It took me a long time to realize that my guitargasm face looks really stupid and I tend to do it pretty much all the time. I'm trying to break that habit and it's hard. haha
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Doesn't everybody tap their foot? I tap my heel.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Edit: ^I do that as well, it hurts my ankle to tap the front of my foot.

I've a tendency to raise my right leg up a little to bring it closer to my chest/where it sits when I play sitting down higher up so things come out clearer up there.

I also tend to scrunch the right side of my face when I'm playing something technically challenging, but the left side stays fairly stoic. I don't tend to use vibrato on my index finger after tearing the callous off it a while back and developing a habit of doing so with my middle finger as well.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Aug 22, 2010,
i tap my heel sometimes usually... yeah.. lol im a drummer too so the bass drum technique fluxuates in and out
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
I have unprotected sex while playing at the most random of times. It's kind of funny, actually!

For real, though; I change pups with my fretting hand... I "wtf" every time I do, too. It's not that far away from that hand on a Caddy, so it's not as ACKWARD as you might think.
Quote by diofan88
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Every band is a lotr metal band. Metal is like Guile's theme for Lotr.
Quote by mcjosh
Whoever thinks Japan deserved the tsunami in any way should just go away and fucking die alone.
Quote by necrosis1193
Edit: ^I do that as well, it hurts my ankle to tap the front of my foot.

I've a tendency to raise my right leg up a little to bring it closer to my chest/where it sits when I play sitting down higher up so things come out clearer up there.

I also tend to scrunch the right side of my face when I'm playing something technically challenging, but the left side stays fairly stoic. I don't tend to use vibrato on my index finger after tearing the callous off it a while back and developing a habit of doing so with my middle finger as well.

This, both of them to some extent.
I almost never use my index finger for vibrato, its just feels weird by itself. I use it with the middle or ring finger (or all 3 for big bends) but never by itself.
Also, I lift my leg, but its my left leg because I play in the classical position when I'm sitting.
i use the round edge of my pick. i read in an article once that someone did that, so i decided to try it. it just kind of stuck i guess.

i also stick out my bottom lip unintentionally while playing.

the most annoying habit i have is playing something with rests and playing muted strokes in between to keep the rhythm. i have to stop myself when playing with a band.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I usually half close my eyes. I don't know what it is, but every video I've watched of myself playing guitar, I see my eyes just half-fall asleep and I look super tired for some reason.

Tis very strange.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
When I'm tapping, my tongue rolls up inside my mouth and tries to push it's way through the roof of my mouth. It is very annoying and embarrassing, as I usually look very stupid.

I've also found that I look retarded when I'm playing something challenging. I hate it, haha.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Seems like a lot of people have a hard time controlling their tongues lol.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by Cathbard
Doesn't everybody tap their foot? I tap my heel.

takes me back years when i was playing the clarinet in my school orchestra, everyone was tapping their heels and the teacher was going crazy good times they were.

I used to always up-pick, but then i stopped using a pick because it's boring with one.

other then that the only thing i can think up of would be using my pinky instead of my ring finger, and bending only with my ring finger
I rarely use my pinky when playing anything but chords. Which annoys the f**k out of my guitar teacher.

I tend to slightly bend my left leg when "power standing"
Quote by HellBoy9393
Seems like a lot of people have a hard time controlling their tongues lol.

I don't, .

Anyways, I tend to let my jaw drop when i'm playing something challenging. I once drooled on my fret board when concentrating so hard whilst playing Scarified...

Other than that, I sort of sway with the tempo when I stand and play, my girlfriend pointed it out to me :|
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Sometimes my mouth hangs open and I drool on the fingerboard, and when I play fast passages I make all sorts of goofy faces.
Gear
3rd Power Amplification HD100
Splawn Competition
Marshall 1987x
Vox AC30C2

Charvel San Dimas 1 2H
2008 Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Strat

Check out my YouTube channel!
I used to play mainly upstroking, but that was morelike an issue.

Nowadays I sometimes take a small step forward on my left foot and keep my rightfoot semi-tiptoening while soloing and imagine im on stage xDD its subconcious.

All of my friends make fun of me when I solo or play a hard part or sometimes just play, because they say that I make weird faces at the same time O.o I do admit I sometimes do, especially while soloing a hard one. Subconciously.
Whenever I go for a huge bend I lift my foot up, and when I do vibrato I shake my foot about !
I do mostly upstrokes when hitting single notes, and downstrokes for chords.

Also, if my cord gets tangled, I'll unplug it from my guitar to fix it at the most inopportune moments...and when I plug it back in, I get this horrible *GLAAAAAAAARGGHHHHKRAKLEKRAKLE* sound.

Not very pleasing to the ears.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
this is going to sound like a really bad attempt to get publicity, but if you look @ the few crappy vids I have on youtube you'll see I sit really strangely when I play.

well you made me look at your videos! HAPPY?!?!?!?!??!

T_T i feel so dirty...

damn i'm random
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by GezzyDiversion
I hook my thumb over the fretboard to play barre chords.

+1 I find it more comfy for barre's. I tend to move my jaw with the direction of my fingers, so it ends up circling round as I solo.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
+1 I find it more comfy for barre's. I tend to move my jaw with the direction of my fingers, so it ends up circling round as I solo.

I used do that too, but I got braces so that now when I do that my mouth gets cut up pretty badly.
I hold my pick with my middlefinger and thumb. I dont hold it with my indexfinger at all.
Gear:

-Gibson Les Paul 2008 standard
-MIA Fender sunburst
-Orange Rockerverb C
-Peavey Valveking 212
-Roland 30x
-Line 6 pod x3
Quote by michiel777
I hold my pick with only my middlefinger.

....and your thumb...right?
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by SLonergan
....and your thumb...right?

yeah, I just edited my previous post. ^^
Gear:

-Gibson Les Paul 2008 standard
-MIA Fender sunburst
-Orange Rockerverb C
-Peavey Valveking 212
-Roland 30x
-Line 6 pod x3
Page 1 of 2