i've been playing bass for a couple years now, just got out of a jazz intensive and i really want to start taking guitar lessons starting september. i've purchased a rickenbacker 4003, meaning i have little money. i currently own an ibanez rg350dx that i'm selling for about 350. basically it comes down to this. a new squire telecaster for 250 or a used epi les paul, probs off craigslist. i found a really nice squire tele, it's got a rosewood neck, and it looks like a beaut and plus it's cheap. but i've also had this outstanding hate for fender, but it's getting to the point where tele's are cool. alot of the les pauls i find on craigslist are going used for about 300 so i was wondering that was the way to go, but i have to keep in mind that all the extra money i have after this purchase goes towards the rickenbacker, so yeah. anybody wanna give a good insight/gameplan for a person starting to get into guitar, because i've wasted hundreds over the years of bad selling/buying of guitars. oh and i would probably be using this for alternative music like foo fighters, and also for jazz/blues.

p.s. my plan to pay of the rick is 100 bucks a paycheck, which pretty much drains the whole thing so yeah, i want to get that paid off a.s.a.p.
Last edited by UnderBassist at Aug 21, 2010,
Go to some store that sells lots of guitars. Guitar Center or Sam Ash or such like. Find an amp like you will be using, or as similar as you can. Play all the guitars in your price range. Repeat at different stores. Buy what appeals to you. Next month, you'll hate it anyway.
Quote by phank
Go to some store that sells lots of guitars. Guitar Center or Sam Ash or such like. Find an amp like you will be using, or as similar as you can. Play all the guitars in your price range. Repeat at different stores. Buy what appeals to you. Next month, you'll hate it anyway.

Bad experiences?

Depending on what you want to play it's going to be a deciding factor in the guitar you eventually purchase.

But you really should try them, tele necks and LP necks have vastly different feels IMO.
^ Whatever feels more comfortable in your hand.

There's not a Fender out there that has a thick enough neck for me after playing the Gibsons, so I haven't found one I like.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.