for the past two months i've been drooling over the swollen pickle fuzz, i really love how much bass response you can get from this thing, along with the super compressed sound.

i was doing some research on muff's figuring that it would be a good alternative i found that the bass big muff has a very similar circuit to the russian big muff, which i know a lot of bass players use aswell.

the only reason why i want a fuzz in the first place is because i play in a drone doom/sludge/ noise band. (think Earth's first album, extra capsular extraction with some sunnO))) and boris influence) and would use it in the really downtempo drones and "wall of feedback" parts we do. knowing that i could get a used bass big muff for almost 1/3 of the price of the swollen pickle (being a poor teenager, this is very appealing) and the bass boost switch just seems to be exactly what i need, im wondering if it would be a good idea. i know some people use bass big muffs on guitar for similar reasons.

my current set up is a knockoff es-175 hollowbody(downtuned one and a half steps, sometimes drop b) into a boss v-wah>voodoo lab sparkle drive>memory boy> vox AC15. i get most of my sound from diming the ac15, diming the bass and keeping the treble at around 9 oclock. then just boosting it from there. i dont do very much "lead" playing, just some spaghetti western esque fills sometimes, so im not looking for a awesome solo tone or anything.

tl;dr bass big muff, which is cheaper, and does pretty much the same thing, or swollen pickle for really downtuned drone doom?
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
The bass Big Muff is based on the old gree Russian muff which should have a ton of bass. I'm not too fond of the way the Pickle sounds, so I'm not sure which one I'd get. However, I can tell you that your amp will not give you the bottom end that you desire because the AC15 is just not that huge sounding. I'd rather try investing in a cab if you want a bigger sound.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
If there's one thing buying and selling gear has told me, pick the better sounding option, not the better priced option.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
The bass Big Muff is based on the old gree Russian muff which should have a ton of bass. I'm not too fond of the way the Pickle sounds, so I'm not sure which one I'd get. However, I can tell you that your amp will not give you the bottom end that you desire because the AC15 is just not that huge sounding. I'd rather try investing in a cab if you want a bigger sound.

i really love the sound i get from my vox, i know its not considered a super doomy amp or anything, but the down tuned guitar, volume, and dimed bass, give me the tone i want most of the time, just not when i need the super fuzzy distortion for the noise sections. i think i really like the idea of the bass big muff being similar to the russian muff though, which i really like the sound of. the swollen pickle would be nice, but seems to be more than i need right now.
Quote by illuminatiano

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
I didn't really like the Swollen Pickle either when I tried it. Went for a regular Muff instead.

The BBM sounds like what you want.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
both are good fuzzes so it seems to be whether the swollen pickle is worth the extra money
As someone who knows what it's like to be a poor teenager, I'd say get the muff and save the rest of your money
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904
both are good fuzzes so it seems to be whether the swollen pickle is worth the extra money
As someone who knows what it's like to be a poor teenager, I'd say get the muff and save the rest of your money

this seems to be my best bet, thanks
Quote by illuminatiano

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
EHX muffs sound great. Yes, there are a lot of muff derivatives out there that everyone may think sound awesome, but the standard/classic EHX muffs sound awesome as they are. I wouldn't sweat your decision and go with the EHX, it's a solid choice.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
I own a BBM, I play stoner/doom stuff alot of the time, it sounds perfect for what I want, even without the bass switch turned on. I mean, the bass boost sounds awsome when you're trying to get a disgustingly bassy sound, and for use with an actual bass guitar, but for me, most of the time, I have the switch in the upright position.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove
I own a BBM, I play stoner/doom stuff alot of the time, it sounds perfect for what I want, even without the bass switch turned on. I mean, the bass boost sounds awsome when you're trying to get a disgustingly bassy sound, and for use with an actual bass guitar, but for me, most of the time, I have the switch in the upright position.

cool, i sometimes mess around with some stoner metal riffage like sleep and E.W. so i think the BBM will cover just about everything im going to need it to. what else is fuzz good for other than big riffs and walls of fuzz?
Quote by illuminatiano

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
EHX muffs sound great. Yes, there are a lot of muff derivatives out there that everyone may think sound awesome, but the standard/classic EHX muffs sound awesome as they are. I wouldn't sweat your decision and go with the EHX, it's a solid choice.

I'd have to agree.

...and for what it's worth, I found the pickle unique, but not in a practical way.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD

I agree totally. I've checked out the Swollen Pickle, G.I. Fuzz and a couple of other good fuzzes, but I always keep coming back to my Little Big Muff. It may be a one or two trick pony, but it does those tricks damn well.

Quote by GrisKy
I'd have to agree.

...and for what it's worth, I found the pickle unique, but not in a practical way.

Also agreed. There wasn't really much that I liked about the Pickle to be honest.