Yup another amp thread.

Alright so no flaming Avenged Sevenfold or me for my guitar or my want to produce Avenged Sevenfold guitar sound.

I will try to keep this short but its still gonna be random ideas being thrown out.

Alright so back a year or so ago I saw somebody playing an avenged sevenfold solo on a line 6 amp on Youtube and I literally grabbed my car keys, went to guitar center and bought one without even playing with it. Not the best Idea ever. Its a decent amp (line 6 spider III 15w). I got most of the sound I wanted. I do not need anything more than a 15w. But recently I have picked up more on its digital fake sound and I just don't like it.

I know Synyster of Avenged Sevenfold does use Marshall amps, JCM800 and now he is using the JVM205H for the current album. But these are WAY to expensive for how much I play. I just like to pick up the guitar and learn parts of some songs every now and then. I have a Synyster Custom so i have the "guitar tone" I want. But I am looking for more of a guitar that I throw on clean, get the good tone. Throw the distortion on and play his solos and keep the sustain going as I have noticed this amp doesn't do as much as it should ( I probably need a pedal).

But all I am asking is what amps may somewhat model a decent sound closer to the jcm 800 and the jvm205h. I might not get the tone I want because I am only looking to spend like 250$ max. If you want to know what sounds I want you can listen to Buried Alive by Avenged Sevenfold. It has a funky clean intro, going into a nice ringing lead part. Then later in the song about 5:00 you get the nice metal riffs that the line 6 does just fine. Thats kind of an overlook of the 3 tones I want. I just want something (probably a marshall) that will somewhat model the higher version marshalls and allow me to get these sounds. He also uses a lot of pedals and stuff but when I watch a video on the pedal it is always played with blues so I can't exactly picture where he would be using these pedals without hearing it in the solos/riffs.

Also is it worth buying them (amps/pedals) used? I am sure there are a lot of amps used at guitar center they can get from other stores and stuff. And amps don't exactly get beat up as much as guitars.

I want the A7X sound because that's what I like to hear and play. So I don't need any "I don't think you should be trying to sound like somebody else you should develop your own tone and style". Just let me do as I wish. Anybody who knows what amps would make these sounds and what effects I would be best off with.

Recap: Goal of answers: To Model the higher end jcm800/jvm205h (not perfectly) for cheaper (about $250 max).

Thanks in advance!
Your not going to get anything that sounds much better than your spider 3 for 250 bucks
But wait i have a vox ad100vt-xl hybrid im selling for 250 bucks lol(seriously though)
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
I have heard a lot about the Vypyr. How nice are they?
I am just looking for a decent sound, I was thinking of maybe a better Line 6 but won't they all have the digital, other brand amp "modeling" sound?

I like lots of presets/effects and dials! :P
yea you can't get anything tube for that price so you might be shit out of luck if your ear is now attuned to the difference between tube and digital.
I am watching a vid on the Vypyr now and it has a lot of stuff on it..my line 6 has 6 effects. Not a lot at all.

I am not looking for an exact model of the jcm800 or jvm205h. Just something that may sound decent for a decent price.

Vypyr sounds real cool but the vid isn't over yet!
Either a vyper or a vox vt is your best option vox vts sound better imo
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
The Vypyr sounds good and I like all the effects. Watching videos on the Vox now.

What's the difference between a 15w amp and a 30w amp?
Am I gaining anything besides more volume spending the extra $100?
Youd be gaining slight volume and a fuller sound from the speaker difference thats about it.
Also your really better off trying these 2 amps out other than just watching videos vids can be decieving, any gc will have both of these in mass quantity.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by slipknot_420 at Aug 21, 2010,
Quote by A7XSchecter6661
The Vypyr sounds good and I like all the effects. Watching videos on the Vox now.

What's the difference between a 15w amp and a 30w amp?
Am I gaining anything besides more volume spending the extra $100?

Yes.
The differences are:
  • 12 inch speaker on the 30w, usually sounds better
  • more effects
  • ability to use a foot controller
  • ability to update the firmware
  • MUCH louder-it's not the wattage so much as it is the amp design.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I just checked my local GC and it says they have both the 30watters in stock and both the 15 watters in stock. I will go tomorrow and play with them. I was just watching the videos for an over view of the amps.

Is buying used worth it? I can get a used 75watt vypyr for $150 where the 15watt is $100 new and 30watt is $200 new.

I may stick with the 15watt since I never really crank it up. But I will see. Thanks everyone!
Last edited by A7XSchecter6661 at Aug 22, 2010,
Quote by A7XSchecter6661
I just checked my local GC and it says they have both the 30watters in stock and both the 15 watters in stock. I will go tomorrow and play with them. I was just watching the videos for an over view of the amps.

I may stick with the 15watt since I never really crank it up. But I will see. Thanks everyone!

Youll find the 30 will sound better cranked or not Goodluck!
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Is buying used worth it though?
There are a few on Guitar Center used.

Like the 75w for $150
where the 15w is $100 and the 30w is $200
save. more. money.
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Quote by A7XSchecter6661
for what?

so you can buy a better amp, of course
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Quote by jimihendrix6699
so you can buy a better amp, of course

+1.

Going from a Spider to a Vypyr isn't much of an upgrade, if an upgrade at all. I actually prefer Spiders, tbh. Haters gonna hate. They're both pretty decent though.

Anyways, you should probably save your money if you want a good A7X tone. Once you get around $5 - 600, you should be able to snag a good amp with ease. I got my Recto head for $550, and it can hit the A7X sound pretty easily. They did use Recto's on Waking the Fallen.

If you save your money, go for a used Single Recto, a 6505+ 112 combo, or a Bugera 6262. Those are probably your best options without going Marshall IMO.

If you decide to blow your money on a Vypyr now, you're going to be just as unhappy IMO because then you'll have 2 amps that don't do what you want done very well.

/my2cents

Also, I pretty much play just A7X these days, when I do play.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
To all the people saying he can't get a tube for $250, he can easily get a used ValveKing 112 for that much.

But TS, the post above me is 100% correct. Save a bit more, instead of getting another beginner/mediocre amp.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
You could just save money while you look for a used/secondhand JCM

Or join the Egnator club!
'08 Shecter C1+ w/jb-jazz
'10 LTD Deluxe EC1000 w/Blackouts
Peavey 6505+
Peavey cab
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
ISP Decimator

Lefty
Avenged Sevenfold now play marshall live...
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
roland cube and pod x3 are way better than spider 3 for cheap. So is peavey vypyr I here.
Guitars
Amps
Didn't A7x use Uberschalls for some stuff?
Save your money and go for something that will actually be an improvement, if you like all your effects and whatnot in one package you should look for a used Line 6 Vetta. No point polishing a turd.
To be fair buying the vyper is more of a side step rather than a step forward in regards to gear changes.

Around 5 or 600 should get you in a nice bracket for better amps. Bugera 333xl, possibly the used market you could alsp find a mesa or two. I'm not great with prcies but if you're lucky enough a single rec could do the job.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal