So, I was thinking about putting on new pickups on my Ibanez RG321MH (don't hate, I'm completely rebuilding it :P).
And so comes the classic debate between using EMG 81/81(85) and Seymour Duncans, and I've been looking into them with a bunch of youtube videos. Through all the research and brainstorming, I figured I needed to discuss this matter. Lol

To start this whole thing off, I want to say the type of tone I desire and etc.
I do metal, but not that classic muffled metal sounds like Metallica, but the edgier and more cleaner sounds like... idk. XD let's just say I like metal coming out of a freaking stratacaster. Sad, I know.

EMGS:
I have a high respect for this company but it's just one of those "just because all of the big bands and famous people use it" respects. -cough- Metallica -cough-

Pros: (from my point of view)
  • Coil Tap selector (Switch between single and dual coils)
  • They look nice. Plates look better than holes lol.

Cons:
  • 9v battery.

Seymour Duncan:

Pros: (from my point of view)
  • If I think correctly, they sound cleaner?
  • Passive pickup means no cutting a hole for a battery.

Cons:
  • I don't think they can switch between single/dual coil modes.

So the point I'm really trying to at is, are Seymour Duncans what I need and can they switch to single coil?
Last edited by Halogod35 at Aug 22, 2010,
Alright blackouts are active. Unless if seymour duncan has made some passive blackouts but I have blackouts and they need batteries so you WILL need make that hole but honestly you can just toss it into the wiring cavaity. Basically in the end for me it came down to price. Seymour's are cheaper. I love my seymour but I'll still probably get a guitar later on with emg's just to have more tones to choose from. Also the plate shouldn't be a pro for emg's cuz the blackouts have em too lol sorry but just something i noticed
-------------------------------------------------
facebook.com/thesedrowningtides
youtube.com/thesedrowningtides
Last edited by danimalhxc at Aug 22, 2010,
well about the single coil thing.

Seymour duncan say to NOT use it as a single coil straight out. you probably could, but if they say it might damage it, its not a cheap thing to risk.

And blackouts are also active, so a 9v battery is in there as well in your *cons* haha

In my rg420, i have blackouts, in my guitarists rg321, he has emg 81. We produce different sounds easily. Not strat metal. if you want that sound, buy a strat :P

Check out my band! Visible Clarity

Gear:
Ibanez RG 420Ex SAr W/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
Ibanez Toneblaster 100w head + cab
Soon Buying:
Bugera 6262 Head
Bugera 412 Cab
aight dude well research THOSE then make ur decision. i still just say get the blackouts. they're great and honestly they're just as good if not better than emgs (from what i've heard) plus cheaper.
There isn't really a "classic debate" at all - Duncan make a crapload of pickup models that cover every genre and style in every model of guitar, you can't compare an entire brand's range with a couple of specific models from another brand.

Pretty much ANY aftermarket pickup can be coil split as they nearly all come with 4 conductor wiring, the only ones that don't are the ones built to exact vintage specs -so the coil spliting requirement is irrelevant. In fact EMG are the problem brand there as their standard models can't be coil split.

The brand of a pickup isn't important, what's important is that the pickup you buy works with the rest of your rig in the right way to give you the sound your looking for. We really need a bit more info as to the kind of sound you're looking for as you've said next to nothing about it, and more importantly how you want the sound you've got currently to change. It'd help to know the amp you're using too.

To everyone else in the thread - where the fudge did the OP specifically mention blackouts? The answer is nowhere, if you're going to help someone then at least have the courtesy to read his bloody post properly.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
There isn't really a "classic debate" at all - Duncan make a crapload of pickup models that cover every genre and style in every model of guitar, you can't compare an entire brand's range with a couple of specific models from another brand.

Pretty much ANY aftermarket pickup can be coil split as they nearly all come with 4 conductor wiring, the only ones that don't are the ones built to exact vintage specs -so the coil spliting requirement is irrelevant. In fact EMG are the problem brand there as their standard models can't be coil split.

The brand of a pickup isn't important, what's important is that the pickup you buy works with the rest of your rig in the right way to give you the sound your looking for. We really need a bit more info as to the kind of sound you're looking for as you've said next to nothing about it, and more importantly how you want the sound you've got currently to change. It'd help to know the amp you're using too.

To everyone else in the thread - where the fudge did the OP specifically mention blackouts? The answer is nowhere, if you're going to help someone then at least have the courtesy to read his bloody post properly.

TS, listen to this man.

And, thank you I was about to mention that.
the EMGs you listed dont have split capabilities...which are left to the TW line from EMG.

EMG X = 18v mod with 9v
EMG TW = splitting coil line

you dont need a battery route if theres enough space already.

assuming im not adding any, there is a lot of misinformed posts in this thread XD
@ steven seagull Shit you're right lol you gotta excuse us metal heads. we hear duncans and we instantly think blackouts