well, i used to own a '72 reissue tele deluxe. moded it a bit (new volume pots) and eventually traded it for an amp. i like it alot, but was a little disappointed with some of the quality, so i decided to piece together my own deluxe tele.

step 1: Seth Lover Tele Deluxe Pups

this is the cornerstone of the guitar imo, this is what i decided to build the guitar around. picked up this set (from '74) for ~150 usd!.... cuz i am lucky i guess.

step 2: the Neck

this is where i had stumbled around for a bit, i was unsure whether i wanted to go 3 bolt or not, also wanted oversized, but wanted an original fender oversized headstock neck (preferably maple fretboard). once again i was lucky and found this:

this is cool, 25th anniversary strat neck; it's hard to tell from the pic but the nut is brass as well. the neck is from '79 (my birth year, extra cool). AND it's also a 4 bolt neck with an oversized headstock, nice. call me very happy, it is unusual something that is exactly what i wanted jumps in my lap.

btw, the neck is attached to my mexican tele, i had to try it out as soon as i got home. eventually i will get a tele deluxe body from warmoth or something. with my luck an orginal tele deluxe body will jump in my lap.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Looks amazing! Glad your happy!

HNND!
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Cool. ANything vintage is good in my books.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Quote by HellBoy9393
Cool. ANything vintage is interesting in my books.

fixed.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Just an opinion. I like collecting old things, whether they're good or not.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Congrats, gumbi! I love Tele Deluxes and those oversized headstocks look sweet. I'm sure you'll piece together a sweet axe with all that.
Quote by HellBoy9393
Cool. ANything vintage is good in my books.

Agreed! There's just so much mojo in vintage gear.
Quote by enselmis
This is not a good attitude.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Have you posted that pic of those pickups before? I swear I've seen those pics.
Also; Nice!
yeah, i posted the pics of the Seth Lover's before, just wanted to tie it all together, show why i wanted the neck.

next step is a warmoth body. what you guys think? alder or ash? i think mahogany might not fit the pups, not too sure. if you are wondering what the seth lover pups sound like, youtube up some 'minute men', he used a tele deluxe for most of his stuff.

-ae
I vote ash.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
that is what i am leaning toward myself, i really love my ash strat and ash seems to be my favorite tonewood right now. i don't own an alder guitar right now, so i was considering alder mainly for that reason.

we plan on buying a few bodies and routing out the pup slots so we can try wiring/pup setups with different wood bodies and different necks, so that way we could try out different parts and components with different setups.

the first body will probably be ash.

-ae
Noice. Tele is purty.

Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
teles must be ash.

or made from an old bench, either way.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
ash it is.

it is nice to have your desire reinforced that heavily. been wanting an ash tele anyway...

btw, i also got a old '81 peavey T-40 bass when i bought the neck, it has a 4 piece ash body. didn't even know they made basses with ash bodies... it's a heavy duty bass, made in america with 'coil tap' pickups and a phase switch. it is pretty versatile.

-ae
I vote for pine... but that's just me

Edit: Knotty pine, to be more specific
Last edited by Kcintlob at Aug 22, 2010,
Quote by gumbilicious
ash it is.

it is nice to have your desire reinforced that heavily. been wanting an ash tele anyway...

btw, i also got a old '81 peavey T-40 bass when i bought the neck, it has a 4 piece ash body. didn't even know they made basses with ash bodies... it's a heavy duty bass, made in america with 'coil tap' pickups and a phase switch. it is pretty versatile.

Dude, that's so awesome. Peavey T-40s are great basses and they are getting more and more desired nowadays. You did well!

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Dude, that's so awesome. Peavey T-40s are great basses and they are getting more and more desired nowadays. You did well!

i keep forgetting you're a bass dude. we gotta rewire it still, looks like someone wanted modifications to their bass (dunno why, it has just about everything already).

also, my T40 comes with a rosewood fretboard, which is kinda unusual from what i heard.

edit: are you serious about pine? i know it flex's under pressure, but i never heard of that for a tone wood. hardwoods are much more preferable for guitar tone woods.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 22, 2010,
^The only pine guitar I know of is the Squier CV Tele. Good guitar too.
HNND
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
The original Tele prototypes were pine IIRC. I've never played a pine guitar though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by gumbilicious
i keep forgetting you're a bass dude. we gotta rewire it still, looks like someone wanted modifications to their bass (dunno why, it has just about everything already).

also, my T40 comes with a rosewood fretboard, which is kinda unusual from what i heard.

edit: are you serious about pine? i know it flex's under pressure, but i never heard of that for a tone wood. hardwoods are much more preferable for guitar tone woods.

Pine seems to be quite popular for Telecasters...

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/169992-pine-body.html
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=370889

...plus Pine Tele's look especially sexy with a leather pickguard.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-discussion-forum/94910-leather-pickguard-choice.html

And pine isn't just used for telecasters, you can cut your self a slab of some nasty knotty pine and make a sexy looking top...

http://gretschguitars.net/new08/pdf/6130.pdf

...or use nothing but knotty pine to make a sexy acoustic...

http://www.guitarbalooga.com/2009/03/19/guitars-made-from-crap-woods/

Plus I'm really GASing for a knotty pine or swamp ash tele, so I'd choose either of those.