Looking through the sheet music for Cherokee by Ray Noble I found some stuff I wasn't sure about.

D-75. D minor 7, but what's the 5 after it mean?

F+7
How do you construct an augmented 7th chord?

Also, are inversions usually written in? I don't see them often so does that mean it's free reign (especially if you're comping the chords on guitar) or should I stick to root positions?

Edit: found another thing. GMA6/7?
B13(-9). B13 with a lowered ninth?
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
Last edited by FacetOfChaos at Aug 22, 2010,
So F+7 would be F A C# E.
If I had an F+9, still only the fifth would be altered then?
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
Quote by FacetOfChaos
So F+7 would be F A C# E.
If I had an F+9, still only the fifth would be altered then?

you flat the seventh (Eb) to make it dominant. otherwise it's an augmented major 7th.

as far as inversions. if it was I⁶ in E major. that would be written E/G#. typically.

but yeah, since guitar's are comping, you can do any inversion. and feel free to leave the root and/or the fifth out.
#DTWD
Last edited by primusfan at Aug 22, 2010,
inversions (usually notated as a chord/a bass note) are typically the bassists job. in a duo type situation they become your job. think about voicing thirds and sevenths and tensions while maintaing solid voiceleading (lots of stepwise motion) and not clashing (range wise and note choice wise, unless its intentional) with other instruments.
I've had chords like F+7 mean Fmaj7 in my jazz band at school. It's all dependant on the context of the chord, really.
guitar chord notation has a way to go before it becomes standardized...the + and - signs are SOME-time use in place of # and b and sometime not...as in E9+ (E9#5)

i prefer the sharp & flat system as it eliminates the guess work as to which note gets altered

in most notation a 7th chord ...A7...is dominate...a MAJOR chord USUALLY has some reference to it as ..M..MA..MAJ or the common european 7 with a slash through the stem..

the extensions can be confusing at first glance..EMA7+..vs...EMA7#5 for majors..E7+.. E7#5..for dominates..

i usually see how the chord is used in the progression to see if it makes harmonic sense...then of course ...the ear test usually determines its use...does it sound good...does it work in the tune ...

play well

wolf