Well today I turned 20! Sweet! One more year till I can destroy my life with alcohol!

That aside, I got a surprise gift today from my mom as a little "extra".

It's the Orange Micro Crush!

First off, let me say that I was E X T R E M E L Y surprised by this amp. I expected it to sound small, weak, have bad overdrive, sterile cleans, etc. None of those things turned out to be true. With its 3 watts of power and its 4 inch speaker, this thing sounds larger than it should. It actually has some low end, which is very uncommon in amps this size.

When I first turned it on, I was sorta disappointed in the sound...that is until I figured out that on this amp, the tone knob = dark<-->bright and the volume knob is basically just gain. This amp rewards you a ton for messing around with your guitar's volume knob. After about 60 seconds I dialed in an slightly convincing classic Orange clean tone. "Pretty decent" I thought.

Then I hit the overdrive switch...

I was BLOWN AWAY. This thing screams! How, I could never tell you...but it nails the Orange overdrive tone perfectly! Obviously, its missing some bottom end and some warmness, but for a 50 dollar SOLID STATE amp, I couldn't have asked for more. This things overdrive sounds at least as good as my Vypyr, maybe better for Zeppelin/GnR type tones. While my Vypyr beats it in the heavy metal category, I think this thing wins hands down in the crunch category.

My Vypyr does...
average cleans
terrible crunch
average high gain.

This Micro Crush does
average cleans
great crunch
average high gain

If it had a 10-12 inch speaker and reverb, I think I'd replace my Vypyr for it in a heartbeat. Until I can afford a tube amp (college student...bleh) I think I'm going to sell my Vypyr and buy an Orange Crush 35LDX.

The finish on this amp is amazing too. It's got that basket weave grille, and the classic orange finish. It's a gorgeous amp. I kind of wish they had put the black corners on it, but it's sexy enough already. It's the instantly recognizable orange style.

This thing is made of WOOD. Not plastic like certain Marshall mini-amps...we're talking wood here. It also has a built in tuner. This isn't a crappy thrown-in tuner either. It works great and responds instantly. Very accurate. It's a hefty little thing. The controls are one tone and one volume, which sounds like almost nothing...but they implemented them in such a way that they're both very responsive. You can get tons of tones out of this thing.

I always wanted a travel amp. This thing gave me everything I wanted and more. I'd probably take it over a Micro Cube as a matter of fact...the crunch sound is just that good. Having played a Tiny Terror and a Dual Terror, I would still recommend this amp if you're strapped for cash (or want an amp you don't have to be careful with) and want something extremely portable...and awesome. Youtube videos just don't do this amp justice...it sounds amazing in person.

Highly recommended for a simple and effective travel amp solution!
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Last edited by Ayses at Aug 22, 2010,
Sounds awesome man Happy NAD
Self proclaimed prophets are great people...
i have been wondering about these amps. i heard they use press wood instead of plastic. i also new it had a tuner on it, what i was unsure of was the wattage and speaker size. 3 watts and a 4" speaker is loaded for a mini amp. might have to end up getting one of these damn things.

i uses a mini fender tone master, and that thing is ~1 watt with 2x1" cab, it works pretty well, but a but clunky sounding with the plastic enclosure and all.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
1. Plug that thing into a 4x12

2. Slay the crowd

3. Rule the world

4. ???

5. Profit!!!

HNAD!!!
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Lol I don't know if 3 watts would do much in a 4x12 But I guarantee it would be a crowd pleaser. I love this amp! Can't stop playing it . Battery life is good too. It'll withstand over 12 hours of straight play with one 9v alkaline battery.

No real complaints other than the clean channel could be a BIT better. That's not what you buy orange amps for though
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Quote by Matt15f
<3 moms
I know right? She actually did the research before buying this...and apparently I mentioned it once a long time ago. Pretty awesome!
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Portable amp that actually sounds good? I'll have to check this out.
HNAD!
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
I have one of those, and it totally rocks. This review is legit, I had the same experience. Unfortunately, it's not the most rugged thing in the world, and mine has since fallen apart in a thousand pieces from being dragged everywhere. It was great in the dorms, though. Now that I have an apartment, my Orange Dual Terror is faring quite nicely. But yeah, having owned both of those amps, I can say that the micro crush actually provides authentic Orange tone, with a headphone jack!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Just a word of caution I saw someone on another Forum say it destroyed his earphones with its sheer power but it's so small you don't really need to use the headphone jack
Quote by Way Cool JR.
Happy NAD that sounds like a cool little booger. I was going to ask if it had a hedphone jack but post above confirmed that. Does it have a jack to put a adapter to plug into a wall? If it does I might pick one of these little guys up.
Yeah it takes 9v or 12v adapters. Doesn't come with one, though...but with the battery life as good as it is...I'm probably just going to buy a rechargeable 9v for it.
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Last edited by Ayses at Aug 22, 2010,
clips NAO please.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Someone send me a mic that isn't crap and I'd be happy to...lol.
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M