heyy i was just wondering does anyone here surf? Like proper beach surfing?
because i was thinking bout getting into it, but i just had a few questions:

How coordinated to you need to be?
How long does it take to be able to actual stand up?
do you need any other gear apart from a board?
And , where are some good places to surf in South Australia?

Cheers
Quote by Myfirstpubes
you're saying that everytime someone in the Pit fapped, they produced magic? Wow, we'd be in fucking Narnia by now by the Pit's rate of masturbation.
It took me a day to learn how to stand up (but I knew how to snowboard before that so it was fairly easy)

Coordination obviously helps a lot but the more you do it the better you'll get, so lack of coordination shouldn't prevent you from learning. I'm not coordinated at all and I'm really accident-prone but I was able to surf alright.

You'll want surf wax and maybe a leash in addition to the board, that's all I can think of for now.

edit: I don't wear a wet suit, so no idea about those.
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Aug 22, 2010,
1)I guess have basic co-ordination (which is just normal). Surfing is great for teaching coordination
2)It depends on the person, it could take you not long, but another person ages. Just to stand up and ride a wave isnt hard, but riding the section, etc is whats hard. It's best to learn on a big mal board. They are big, but not hard to control in small surf, and are amazingly easy to stand up and ride on.
3)Depends on whether you want a wetsuit, etc, but you'll definitely need a leg rope
4)No idea, just go to a beach. For learning anywhere in small surf is ideal.
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
I surf the internet if that counts.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by guitarxo
It took me a day to learn how to stand up (but I knew how to snowboard before that so it was fairly easy)

Coordination obviously helps a lot but the more you do it the better you'll get, so lack of coordination shouldn't prevent you from learning. I'm not coordinated at all and I'm really accident-prone but I was able to surf alright.

You'll want surf wax and maybe a leash in addition to the board.

^^ +1
yeah i'd get a rashe (surf shirt) or a wet suit cause you can get chaffed
10 months of noobieness

GUITARS
ESP LTD Viper-50
AMPS
Ibanez IBZ10G
PEDALS
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech Whammy IV
Boss DD-3 Delay
Daphon E10CH Chorus
Daphon E10DS Distortion

My name is failed
How tall are you?
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by mynamisjosh
^^ +1
yeah i'd get a rashe (surf shirt) or a wet suit cause you can get chaffed

Yeah dude, chaffing (sp?) and booard rash isn't fun at all. Wetsuit+vaseline is good. If your in SA, maybe get a steamer? I'm assuming the water doesn't get as warm in summer?
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
im a short ass like 168 cm i dont know in feet/inches.

Waters warmish in summer, but thats on like 40 degree day. How much will a Decent wetsuit set me back and all of the other gear as well? Btw whats a steamer?
Quote by Myfirstpubes
you're saying that everytime someone in the Pit fapped, they produced magic? Wow, we'd be in fucking Narnia by now by the Pit's rate of masturbation.
Last time i went surfing i got hit by a boat and nearly drowned. Wasn't fun. Beware of boats.
Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant.
I surf whenever i'm in cornwall. I really enjoy it. The waves aren't special and I always go at low tide since I can't handle the waves at high tide whenever all the really good surfers come out to play. It's not crowded in the sea where I go so I can spend a long time in there and not get embarrased or accidently kill someone. It's tough but it's an awesome feeling when you take a wave properly and stand up.

Take a long wetsuit though. I cut my legs and feet everywhere last time I went because I only had a short one and I smashed my legs and feet up so much on the board. You don't notice in the water but when I came out they started to sting and continued to do so for days.

It takes patience but it's still fun even when you do bail.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
At your height a board around 6 foot 8 to a full 7 foot will be big enough for you to learn on. A steamer is a wetsuit with long arms and long legs. I use one with just the long arms though, legs are short. Allows you much more freedom to move. A decent wetsuit should set you back around $250 but if you look around in summer you can find them half price. As for boards, you don't want to spend heaps on your first one as I guarantee if you get into it you'll want something else. A second hand board between $150 and $300 should do you just fine.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
I'd love to learn how someday, but havent been anywhere where i've been able to try it yet
Quote by Morrie2995

How coordinated to you need to be?
How long does it take to be able to actual stand up?
do you need any other gear apart from a board?
And , where are some good places to surf in South Australia?

Cheers

Hi There

1- You don't have to be all that co- ordinated to begin with
2- Depends on how good you are with your centre of balance
3- Wetsuit, wax, travel bag for surfboard (helps stop dings) and a leash
4- take a look on http://magicseaweed.com/ for local spots

Although, It might be a good idea to get a lesson to begin with at a local surf school and rent a soft beginner board for the first few outings

When buying look for a Mini- Mal around 7ft 2", brands like NSP are good for beginners

Hope that helps,

Adam.
Quote by Morrie2995

How coordinated to you need to be? Pretty damn coordinated.
How long does it take to be able to actual stand up? Depends on how often you go to the beach and how often the ocean is willing to give you rideable waves
do you need any other gear apart from a board? A leash. And most likely a wetsuit depending on the water temperature.
And , where are some good places to surf in South Australia? I have no idea

Cheers

I say go for it. Sitting in the ocean, chilling out and waiting for the wave is one of the greatest feelings ever. Its pretty much only topped by actually riding the wave you sat out there waiting for.

It takes a while to get the hang of, but its amazing.

A little advice: Swim. Swim every God damn day. You need to be able to paddle your ass off when you are trying to get through the breaking zone and out to the line up.

More advice: You should probably listen to people and learn on a long-ish board. I did not and learned on a 6'2". It was 3 months of hell. But well worth it in the end.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Last edited by itchy guitar at Aug 22, 2010,
I've tried surfing, pretty much failed, but it was a lot of fun when I did catch a wave and stand up. I'm guessing if you stick to it you'll pick it up soon enough.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything