Hey guys. After contemplating this for a while I have decided to attempt to sell ALL my gear. So everything; guitar, amp, pedals. You name it. it's going.

This is all hypothetical at the moment but my budget will be around £600-£800.

I play metal so I would need a guitar that would comfortably do metal but be versatile as well. I'm not into pointy shapes so BC Riches are out.

I do gig so I would need an amp that is loud enough to do medium venues (and must be valve.) thanks very much

Fisheth24.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I have an Ibanez RG-420EX, that's great for thrash, and such, and seems versatile enough to play most other kind of metal. It's complemented by a 30W Peavey Vypyr. It's a great amp, but I hear a lot of people don't like gigging with Modelling amps. Also, if you wanted to use it for your size venue, you'd probably need the 75w or 120w version. I've also heard a few people say they enjoy Schecters, though I haven't tried one myself
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
How much was your RG-420? I like Ibanez but not too keen on RG's. That one may convince me otherwise though.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I'd go for something like a used Mesa/Boogie DC-5 (can be easily picked up for £400 - £600)

As for the guitar, you need to go in a shop and play some until you find something you look, no point buying 'sight unseen' online.
Quote by kyle62
I'd go for something like a used Mesa/Boogie DC-5 (can be easily picked up for £400 - £600)

As for the guitar, you need to go in a shop and play some until you find something you look, no point buying 'sight unseen' online.

I'll have to agree here with the Amp suggestion.. I also think some of the lower end ESP's are a steal used. The EC series would be right up your alley as far as having a non-pointed guitar. Some of the Epiphones are a great price used as well.
I've never heard of that amp. What's it good for? Cause that would only give me £200 and I couldn't buy an S series for that amount of money :'(
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
I've never heard of that amp. What's it good for? Cause that would only give me £200 and I couldn't buy an S series for that amount of money :'(

I think it would probably give you the tone you would like.. I bought my ESP EC-100 for $150.00 USD and I love it.
Quote by Fisheth24

Never heard of Mesa Boogie?
Big american amp company, very popular with hard rock/metal players, handbuilt in California, tend to sell for around £1200+ new, very reliable and great sounding.
Also, if you buy a fairly cheap guitar amp and a fairly cheap amp, you're going to want to upgrade them both within a short space of time.

Best to spend the bulk on the money on a high quality amp then get a cheap (but decent) guitar. You can get some very good guitars for under £300 these days. You can always get yourself a really high quality guitar to go with your amp later on.
Quote by kyle62
Never heard of Mesa Boogie?
Big american amp company, very popular with hard rock/metal players, handbuilt in California, tend to sell for around £1200+ new, very reliable and great sounding.

lol I've heard of Mesa Boogie. But not this particular amp.

If I can get a mesa for less then 500 should I go for it?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
lol I've heard of Mesa Boogie. But not this particular amp.

If I can get a mesa for less then 500 should I go for it?

I would recommend it, but then again.. I'm a Mesa freak.
Quote by ryantombasco
I would recommend it, but then again.. I'm a Mesa freak.

I can't seem to find one for less then £720 which scuppers if I want a guitar aswell.

Then again, I could borrow my brothers Ibanez SA which changes the ball park a bit so I may have £800 to spend.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
I can't seem to find one for less then £720 which scuppers if I want a guitar aswell.

Then again, I could borrow my brothers Ibanez SA which changes the ball park a bit so I may have £800 to spend.

Honestly, I've seen DC's for far lower. When I was selling mine I had it priced at £550 and even that was a little high
Where's the best place to get one?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Where's the best place to get one?

If you're not in a hurry and willing to travel a little bit.. Keep your eyes on Craigslist. You can find things for a steal there. I had posted a thread a few days back where I found myself an early 80's Marshall JCM800 Head with a Marshall JCM 2x12 cab for $250.00 USD. Only reason I mention it is that it goes to show you that there are steals if you keep your eyes open for them.
Quote by ryantombasco
If you're not in a hurry and willing to travel a little bit.. Keep your eyes on Craigslist. You can find things for a steal there. I had posted a thread a few days back where I found myself an early 80's Marshall JCM800 Head with a Marshall JCM 2x12 cab for $250.00 USD. Only reason I mention it is that it goes to show you that there are steals if you keep your eyes open for them.

Thing is. I'm not in America. I'm in the UK.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
We have Gumtree which is similar I guess, but people just seem to charge stupid amounts for things oni t.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Hmm.. Well, if Mesa is going to be too high priced there are a lot of other good amp choices.. I hear a lot of good about Bugera and Blackstar. I hear both amp companies have versatile and good sounding amps cheap.
Yeah, I'm trying to keep my options as broad as possible.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Yeah, I'm trying to keep my options as broad as possible.

Always a smart thing to do. So kudos, because people usually get heart set on something and get tunnel vision with it.
Thanks man, I'm looking for lots of various metal tones but they need to have half decent cleans too.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100