Hey,

So I'm in a band and at the moment we're only doing covers. My question is when soloing, how much should you improv yourself, and how much should you keep in of the origional?

Some solos for instance have hooks that the song wouldn't be right if you didn't have them, but would this be seen as copying it too much?
Well it's a cover band, so if you're worrying about copying, it's really a bit late for that.

In terms of covers and solos, I'll generally keep the original solo if it's memorable, but sometimes you'll cover a song and insert a solo into it, when there was none before, and other times the original solo will not be memorable so you can do whatever you want with it.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I by myself keep the roots of the original solo... but I always add own things....even if i don't want to ;D
at the end there's always a hybrid thing.
Quote by AlanHB
Well it's a cover band, so if you're worrying about copying, it's really a bit late for that.

In terms of covers and solos, I'll generally keep the original solo if it's memorable, but sometimes you'll cover a song and insert a solo into it, when there was none before, and other times the original solo will not be memorable so you can do whatever you want with it.

Well, it's not a cover band really, it's just we're doing covers of songs for now until we get some of our own stuff.

But thanks, that's kinda what I guessed, but just wanted to check.
Generic mindless musically-closed-minded, depth and blind audience will be ok with the solo as long as they can recognize it.
Quote by Zeletros
Generic mindless musically-closed-minded, depth and blind audience will be ok with the solo as long as they can recognize it.

true. Just copy Sweet Child o' Mine's solo note for note and they will recognize you as the next Slash.

Anyway, I usually learn the original solo and then change some phrasing or add a new rhythm pattern (mostly some swinging type of rhythm for me) to some licks or just change some passages with your own. In the end its usually quite similar to the original solo, but with some of my own spice added
Alrighty, thanks

I was just worried of copying too much or too little I guess. I didn't wanted to be branded as being a copy cat (for want of a better word) but wanted to keep it within the songs feeling.
Quote by DeadlySurfer
Well, it's not a cover band really, it's just we're doing covers of songs for now until we get some of our own stuff.

Ahh, I see. Not a cover band, just a band that plays other people's songs and has no original material. Gotcha

If you profess to be an original band, your primary focus really should be on writing songs and putting them together. If you just want to learn covers, that's cool, but it's good to make the distinction early on and enforce it.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Ahh, I see. Not a cover band, just a band that plays other people's songs and has no original material. Gotcha

If you profess to be an original band, your primary focus really should be on writing songs and putting them together. If you just want to learn covers, that's cool, but it's good to make the distinction early on and enforce it.

Ok dude. But at the moment we want to do some covers to get some confidense before getting our own stuff heard by a load of guys that won't respect us or give a crap. At least if we do covers we can build up a bit of a reputation before we do our origional stuff

I don't mean to sound like a dick, apoligies if I do.
No worries. I'm against the whole "play covers and slowly move over to original material" thing is all. From a marketing standpoint they're very different things.
Soundcloud
Quote by DeadlySurfer
Hey,

So I'm in a band and at the moment we're only doing covers. My question is when soloing, how much should you improv yourself, and how much should you keep in of the origional?

Some solos for instance have hooks that the song wouldn't be right if you didn't have them, but would this be seen as copying it too much?

it really depends on the song. some songs have a pre written solo that seems to be needed in the song. sometimes i find that improv just doesnt fit. even in my own songs i've written some solos because improv never sounded good. sometimes you just need that lyrical solo that fits the song. sometimes the song lends itself to improv. use your ear and figure it out. sometimes also, a solo can be very memorable and people expect to hear it or at least some version of it. its nice to throw in some licks from the original solo in songs like that or maybe do part of it. like in sweet child o mine i usually play the first part of the solo note for note but when he speeds up half way i kinda do my own thing. which is what i see most people do.

its really up to you.
^ +1

i personally just improv the best i can, i only know a handful of bits of solos and the rest of it i'll try to repeat the same rhythmical phrases and stick in the notes that are in key and might be right.
I don't think there is "right" answer for this, but personally I like to learn the original solo. For starters I like to play it as close to the original as I can. Eventually.........Depending on the gig, the song, and how I'm feeling, I may choose to add some personal touches or even completely improvise.

I think you're probably the best person to judge what is right for your situation.
shred is gaudy music
Typically every guitar solo has a few really memorable licks that make the solo.

My approach is to learn those memorable licks and put them into my vocabulary, then improvise during the couple bars where I was too lazy/uninspired to learn their licks. Typically I will figure out which of my licks I like to use for said song, then I've basically got a new solo with some of the original licks and some memorable licks from other songs.

Works for me.