How hard would it be to modify a single coil Fender Jaguar to take humbuckers? And how much do you think it would cost? If I could get some humbuckers on this I could die happy.

Marshall JCM 800 2203
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall 1960AV
Gibson Studio Alpine White
DL4 Delay Pedal
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus Pedal
Boss TU-2 Tuner Pedal
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor Pedal
Holy Grail Plus
Ernie Ball Volume Pedal Jr.
is that a vintage jaguar???? please DON'T put humbuckers on it, that guitar is perfect the way it is, why don't you save some money and buy yourself a HH jaguar or a Jazzmaster??
You can buy a Humbucker Jaguar for a good price. Don't modify a guitar that is that beautiful.
Well this is a first lol, a humbucker on a Jaguar ? Geez I don't even think that I have a good answer for this question. I dunno maybe a Seymour Duncan Hot rails or a little59 would be perfect ?
Just buy a Jaguar HH, problem solved. Assuming that the Jag you pictured here is a vintage one, which, judging by the finish color and painted headstock, I would guess I'm right?
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
I had a jaguar routed for humbuckers...I hate having to be the voice of reason but if you wanna mod it go ahead just get it done professionally...there's not really a point in having a vintage guitar sitting around looking cool that you think sounds like shit right? Make it usable
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Put in single coil sized humbuckers from duncan, they do not have that ear sticking out from the side, and it will be relatively easy to reverse the guitar back to stock.

Buy one of the new MIM jags with buckers in it.

Or the Kurt Cobain model from japan.

The HH special is balls though. (Black one with covered pups)

Single coil sized buckers sound crappy really. You could get some of the duncan quarter pounders for hot output then swap out the strangle switch so it switches in between paralell and series, youd get kinda close, without doing permanent mods.

Oh and they do make reissues with the matching headstock. CIJ/MIJ ones.

But ive not seen many in fiesta red, they were discontinued a while ago (besides the thin skins, which are expensive enough anyway). I'm pretty sure thats a MIJ though, since theres no mute. But it's a rare colour, and sticking humbuckers in that would seriously devalue a rare instrument.
Last edited by beckyjc at Aug 23, 2010,
Wow I didn't know they made a cobain jaguar...

Holy crap they shoulda released that in the US instead of the Fag-Stang

Quote by beckyjc
Single coil sized buckers sound crappy really. You could get some of the duncan quarter pounders for hot output then swap out the strangle switch so it switches in between paralell and series, youd get kinda close, without doing permanent mods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZkk5ib2ZYQ. Yeah, definitely crappy sounding.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
OH right yah. A studio recording of a band through what is probably top of the range equipment/guitars/amps and a load of processing and then youtube compression on top. Great example of pickups that is.

SC sized buckers dont sound as good or meaty as proper humbuckers. And they dont have the clarity and richness off single coils. Theyre a master of none. Tend to be brighter too. Which in the jag, and allready bright as **** guitar, its just going to be ice pick.
Last edited by beckyjc at Aug 24, 2010,
buy a jag HH as other people said. that original makes me drool. you're lucky to have it so don't change it
Gear:

Squier Tele Custom ii (p90 version)

Orange Crush 10

Fender CD140S
Quote by beckyjc
OH right yah. A studio recording of a band through what is probably top of the range equipment/guitars/amps and a load of processing and then youtube compression on top. Great example of pickups that is.

SC sized buckers dont sound as good or meaty as proper humbuckers. And they dont have the clarity and richness off single coils. Theyre a master of none. Tend to be brighter too. Which in the jag, and allready bright as **** guitar, its just going to be ice pick.

Actually the guitar used was a Squier Standard Telecaster with the neck pickup removed and a Seymour Duncan Little '59 put in the bridge position, played through a Fender/Boss Bassman pedal into a '70s Bassman 100 head. I've listened to the original tracks, it's pretty much the same sound as what you're hearing there. It's not boutique stuff.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
A SF bassman is hardly regular joes gear.

You're completely missing the point. You cant give a good demo of pickups through a completely different guitar to your own, a completely different amp and set up to your own, then mixed and recorded, then compressed onto youtube and listened to through cheap PC speakers.
Because its going to sound nothing like it would with your own gear considering pickups are only a small portion of what affects your tone.
Quote by beckyjc
A SF bassman is hardly regular joes gear.

You're completely missing the point. You cant give a good demo of pickups through a completely different guitar to your own, a completely different amp and set up to your own, then mixed and recorded, then compressed onto youtube and listened to through cheap PC speakers.
Because its going to sound nothing like it would with your own gear considering pickups are only a small portion of what affects your tone.

True, I totally understand that. I was moreso responding to your generalization that SC sized humbuckers ALWAYS sounds bad.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Not necissarily bad, in general theyd be better than stock pickups (the CIJ jags pups are pretty shit), just theyre some kind of middle ground between humbuckers and single coils and they do neither sounds as good as a proper bucker or single coil.

Hot rails sound like wank in general. Cool rails are okay.

It makes my skin crawl when i see someone with like a JB Jr in the bridge position of a jag. Its common, and sounds like shit because theyre farrr too bright.

I have no idea what the 59 would be like though.
Just to clarify...this is not my guitar. I was merely giving an example of what I want. I would never deface a true vintage guitar. Basically what I want is a red jaguar with mathcing headstock and humbuckers. I dont really want the black or white HH's. I want something a little more unique. I know its just cosmetics but whatever. Ive considered the hot rails or other pickups of the like but I never heard/played one.
Marshall JCM 800 2203
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall 1960AV
Gibson Studio Alpine White
DL4 Delay Pedal
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus Pedal
Boss TU-2 Tuner Pedal
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor Pedal
Holy Grail Plus
Ernie Ball Volume Pedal Jr.
The only ones with matching headstocks are CIJ/MIJ made ones and the american thin skins.

And of course vintage but thatd be daft.

Do you live in the US. Because CIJ/MIJs are pretty hard to get ahold of in the US because of FMICs issues with fender japan. On eBay in the UK they pop up like nobodies business. Candy Apple Red is probably the most common colour next to sunburst (check my profile. )

Your best bet would have a look around japanese websites and eBay and see if you can get one imported from somewhere. Or better yet find one used. Itll cost you a bit in duties and tax, but itd more than likely work out cheaper than getting the FSR.

Getting a modern MIJ/CIJ and routing it for buckers isnt a major crime really, (id never do it, personally, though P90s would look good.) and cause of Kurt its been pretty over done too. Really, you could route it for buckers yourself with a drill and a chisel, itd be pretty untidy, youd just have to get a pickguard for it unless you think you can manage.

Deffinately dont put a JB jr or hot rails in it though. Somebody reported good results from cool rails. But these strat pups arent exactly an exact fit, youll notice a gap around them and they wont fit under the claws.

Check out http://www.jag-stang.com forums, lots of good advice in there.
Quote by rdobson2
Holy crap they shoulda released that in the US instead of the Fag-Stang

Oh **** you, the jagstang is an amazing guitar.

TS it's your guitar, if you wanna add a bucker go for it. Unless one of these people offers to buy it so you can go buy a non fancy vintage guitar to mod, do whatever you want.
Look at the amps in his picture, then the amps in his gear list below.

Please stop feeding the troll, sirs.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by rooster456
Look at the amps in his picture, then the amps in his gear list below.

Please stop feeding the troll, sirs.

Quote by Chris189
Just to clarify...this is not my guitar. I was merely giving an example of what I want. I would never deface a true vintage guitar.

That isn't his photo matey...
Options:

1) Route out the space under the pickguard to fit humbuckers, cut pickguard to size, install humbuckers

2) Buy one like it with humbuckers already installed

3) Buy single coil sized humbuckers

Option 3 is probably the cheapest, as with the others you would either need a router already, or are buying a whole new guitar.

Another option you may want to think about, if you just want to beef up your sound, is getting a switch or push-pull to put the pickups in series, which will make it sound darker and louder.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
are they at 1M's now? If so, that this is bright. Normally is 250k for singles, and not many people go lower than that. And any lowering would make it sound a bit warmer, but I'm not sure how humbuckery it will sound.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Last edited by MonkeyLink07 at Aug 25, 2010,
In the lead circuit theyre 1meg.

In the ryhtym circuit for the neck pickup the volume pot is 1meg and the tone pot is 50k. Which i think makes the overall resistance around 50k?

But really turning the pot down would have the same effect as changing the pot for lower resistance ones.

Or just putting another resistor in paralell with the pot.

Does kinda kill the "jag sound" though.
Last edited by beckyjc at Aug 25, 2010,