Page 1 of 3
What is one new metal band that just started developing over recent years that you think will become huge.

Personally, I think Warbringer has already released two solid CDs, are still young, and will make a good impact on thrash in a few years.
I think Periphery will be pretty huge in years to come
Quote by Iain.Peters
Guthrie Govan. 'nuff said.
Big bands will become smaller, which in turn will minimize the gap between small myspace celebrities and continually active musicians, giving the illusion that bands are getting bigger.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Pulled Apart By Horse, despite them not being metal.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by lordrcceaser
I think Periphery will be pretty huge in years to come

oh please divine existence (if you exist), please please please, I really hope this never happens.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
I have a whole list of bands I could post, but you've never heard of any of them.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by fallenangel20
I have a whole list of bands I could post, but you've never heard of any of them.

one time I saw this really obscure band you've never heard of play a 2 song set in their basement, and then I killed all the bandmembers to make sure noone else would ever hear of them.
I didn't go, but I read the Pitchfork review about it.

Saxo-Walrus

Quote by fallenangel20
I didn't go, but I read the Pitchfork review about it.

Everyone knows pitchfork is overrated, I mean please, they think hip hop is good and they only like mainstream bands anyway.
A bunch of really awfull tech/prog/ripoff/core bands of different sorts.My prediction with metal is that the underground will get more punk and the mainstream will go more prog.It seems that over technicality is the new trend.Probably as a reaction of the years of simple groove based core bands.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

I could see The Faceless becoming pretty big. Only two albums and they're already headlining a lot of the tours they do and both sides of the metal fence seem to enjoy their work.
I think The Faceless will get big as well.I don't know many people involved in the underground who are into them,but its a minority group anyways.All the core kids and tech death kids love them(two groups that are slowly coming together) and with the way that kind of stuff is getting popular is see them,and all those core bands who wish they were Cynic getting huge.
Quote by Steve08

I'm waiting for all the core bands who wish they were Cynic to realise that Cynic are a terrible fucking band and write some interesting music.
Cynic were great in the early 90's,but there new stuff is kinda iffy for me.I'de be scared to hear what uninspired drivel those bands would be making without having Cynic to rip off. Focus was great,probably the best Prog Metal album ever that i can think of.
Quote by Steve08

Unfathomable Bo's album will be bought by 12 year old girls and the sandpaper sleeve will eat their collection of Justin Timberlake's CD's.

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
I heard they're planning on making their CD without a hole in the middle, so that no device would be able to spin it.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by Riffmast
Cynic were great in the early 90's,but there new stuff is kinda iffy for me.I'de be scared to hear what uninspired drivel those bands would be making without having Cynic to rip off. Focus was great,probably the best Prog Metal album ever that i can think of.

i like their demos best
i am the moonstar
Quote by Riffmast
A bunch of really awfull tech/prog/ripoff/core bands of different sorts.My prediction with metal is that the underground will get more punk and the mainstream will go more prog.It seems that over technicality is the new trend.Probably as a reaction of the years of simple groove based core bands.

I could see that happening
But yeah I agree that the prog/tech trend will keep on going, aswell as the whole hipster sludge genre to grow (mastodon/baroness worship bands) and then of course we have the new trend of post-avant dreamfunk folkdrone doomcore. Gotta hate it.
Sumdeus lolololol

In a perfect world, Animosity would reunite and slay all other bands in existence.
I agree with Riffmast more though. I could see some sort of fusion of the brutal death/slam underground scene mixing with crusty grindcore stuff.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Quote by Riffmast

This, along with more bands mixing more obscure genres with metal in the way that bands are doing with the Shoegaze style of music now.

The underground going more punk is already happenening now, which is ****ing awesome for punk fans like me
Quote by logboy
metal Shoegaze

Bootgaze/blackgaze ?

yeah that's coming along very well too, French people woo.
Bootgaze

To be honest, i just call the bands shoegaze metal if i'm talking to a friend, despite it being a stupid name amd shoegaze being a hard genre to define anyway, just makes it easier for descriptions sake.
Yeah i just kinda see Metal dividing into two different groups.Because their is so much experimentation now with how easy it is to find music.I think were gunna see extreme metal,doom/sludge and crust/pv/true hardcore get very close and united in a hatred for all the over produced techy shit. As the mainstream proggy bands get more synthetic and fake sounding ,slam/bdm bands will start to go for a more organic production job and go for more filth over precision as they get sick of Deathcore.
Extreme metal always acts as the antithesis to whats going on in the mainstream,and metal and extreme punk fusing has already been in the works for years. I already see people of different genres in the underground joining together,kids who normally listen to post sludge and drone are going to sludge and crust shows,metal heads are going to pv shows and crust kids are going to Death Metal shows.Everyone digs Alcest and people are just getting very open minded as long as the music is genuine.
The two guys who have put on the best shows for my Death/Doom band are straight up punks and they've supported us more then anyone else.I'm pretty excited in all honesty,if everything works out the way i predict i think scene will be much stronger in general.
Quote by Steve08

Aye i totally know what you mean, few years back i used to feel a bit weird standing at a Discharge gig with long hair, but now more metal fans around here are getting into punk themselves and vice versa for the punks who are showing up at the (rare) metal shows here. The main thing has been bands like Municipal Waste playing here alongside local punk/grind bands rather than metal bands since theres a bigger punk scene here.
Quote by illuminatiano
Bootgaze/blackgaze ?

yeah that's coming along very well too, French people woo.

I read the term "metalgaze" in Decibel about a year ago, and I kinda liked it, but I brought it up here and Duncan laughed at me, and it discouraged me ever using the term again.

Though, he did mock me and use the term "jazzical", and I lol'd heartily.

Saxo-Walrus

The punk and metal scenes uniting would be great, a lot of metal fans could learn from the punk scene. The Glasgow black metal scene has a very DIY punk feel about it and is incredibly strong compared to the other scenes.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
What BM bands belong to the Glasgow scene??? I'm interested
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Eazy has a comp demo he can show you. The Glasglow BM scene is actually superb

Quote by Riffmast
Yeah i just kinda see Metal dividing into two different groups.Because their is so much experimentation now with how easy it is to find music.I think were gunna see extreme metal,doom/sludge and crust/pv/true hardcore get very close and united in a hatred for all the over produced techy shit. As the mainstream proggy bands get more synthetic and fake sounding ,slam/bdm bands will start to go for a more organic production job and go for more filth over precision as they get sick of Deathcore.
Extreme metal always acts as the antithesis to whats going on in the mainstream,and metal and extreme punk fusing has already been in the works for years. I already see people of different genres in the underground joining together,kids who normally listen to post sludge and drone are going to sludge and crust shows,metal heads are going to pv shows and crust kids are going to Death Metal shows.Everyone digs Alcest and people are just getting very open minded as long as the music is genuine.
The two guys who have put on the best shows for my Death/Doom band are straight up punks and they've supported us more then anyone else.I'm pretty excited in all honesty,if everything works out the way i predict i think scene will be much stronger in general.

You know, this right here seems spot on. History repeats itself, and so far, I would endorse this proto underground whole heartidly.

I would love to see more cross genre's, like that of which Neurosis and Mastodon inspired (in the old days).

Also, fvck the teeny boppers and their deathcore. Trve 4 lif
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
i was under the impression this thread was about bands we thought would get big, and at that note i repeat:

Quote by Cambyses
Horrendous
i am the moonstar
Page 1 of 3