Pretty soon, I'm heading off for my first year of college. I have enough funds for a decent computer, but I was wondering, do I really need a computer?

At my school, there are computer labs, open 24/7 for student use, so there's a way to use a computer if I need it.

My major is music education, and most of my work will be done on computers with applications for this, so I'm good on my major.

Of course I don't "need" a computer then. But what would be some pros and cons to getting a computer for college? And for people who have gone to college without one, did it inhibit you or was it less of a hassle?
I would buy a computer so you can carry your files and whatnot with you. You could do that with a flash drive or something, but I would just buy a laptop.
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

Not necessary at all.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Not absolutely necessary, but it'll make your life easier
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
If your computer labs are anything like my uni labs were, you will find that come exam or assignment deadline time, you will struggle to find free computers.

Plus itll be easier with a laptop to work on stuff in dorms rather than traipse all over campus.
You will burn in and hell after dying in a fire if you don't have one.

Shits serious business.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

You don't want to be going to the computer lab everyday. And how will you kill time when your bored?
Angus = god
It's much easier. When I'm expected to hand in multiple and electronic copies of my essays which are in text format (and word processing is handy as hell anyway), I read Journals online, I listen to my own background music whilst studying, it all helps out. It's not essential though. It's also handy for when essay deadline creep ups and everyone are on computers on campus.

I also word process all of my reading notes which makes things a lot quicker. I wouldn't want to spend the entire time I spend working on reading, planning, writing and critical notes in a computer room in a library. I like it from my bedroom.
Last edited by Craigo at Aug 22, 2010,
Can I just point out that you're hardly going to be able to fap in the middle of your university's computer labs...
Quote by digman50
Can I just point out that you're hardly going to be able to fap in the middle of your university's computer labs...

maybe he has a girl to do that for him?
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Quote by digman50

I did.

And TS. It's not 100% important, but if you have your own computer or laptop then it makes everything a lot easier. near exam times it'll be hard to get a computer, and it's so much nicer to have something that's really yours. Also it gets tedious loading up your own files, programs and music from a USB.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
not absolutely necessary but id highly recommend getting one
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
If you have the money for a lap top, then get it. My first year I didn't have a laptop, and it was ok, but it was easier for me since I'm a commuter and have my desktop at home. But, once I got my laptop it is much more convenient, especially since I'm a Computer Science major.
A friend of mine says he uses his for almost every class he takes. I can't help you, other than that.

Sort of related, another friend of mine had a better laptop than the one his school gave him, and he frisbee'd the damn thing across the parking lot.
Quote by jimihendrix6699
maybe he has a girl to do that for him?

he's going to university and he's asking the Pit for advice about whether he needs a computer. Does that really sound like hes going to have a girlfriend to jack him off all the time
Quote by Craigo
It's much easier. When I'm expected to hand in multiple and electronic copies of my essays which are in text format (and word processing is handy as hell anyway), I read Journals online, I listen to my own background music whilst studying, it all helps out. It's not essential though. It's also handy for when essay deadline creep ups and everyone are on computers on campus.

I also word process all of my reading notes which makes things a lot quicker. I wouldn't want to spend the entire time I spend working on reading, planning, writing and critical notes in a computer room in a library. I like it from my bedroom.

This.

Although, I do have to mention that computers in school, although making life easier, give way to much more of an attention problem amongst students. I think that has more to do with the younger ages though, rather than college students.
Quote by digman50
he's going to university and he's asking the Pit for advice about whether he needs a computer. Does that really sound like hes going to have a girlfriend to jack him off all the time

true, true.
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
It is not really necessary, but it is quite convenient. Where I live, around the university where most students live is filled with crime. So working on a project late at night means you will have to stay there until daylight comes else you risk being a victim of a possibly horrendous crime.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
If your computer labs are anything like my uni labs were, you will find that come exam or assignment deadline time, you will struggle to find free computers.

Plus itll be easier with a laptop to work on stuff in dorms rather than traipse all over campus.

This. Infact, the computer labs at uni were busy all year round, apart from during the holidays. Even then there were still people in them.
It makes it a lot easier for you to keep track of your files and not have to worry about losing your flash drive or not saving it to your filespace.
At my uni it's pretty important that you check your email regularly as that's how they notify you of any changes to lectures or seminars. Having a laptop or desktop of your own is just all round more convenient and it's good if you want to watch a dvd with friends or listen to music. Also good if you want to talk to friends back home or at other uni's, you won't be able to use skype from a lab computer. And i'm not sure you'd want to either.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Last edited by OddOneOut at Aug 22, 2010,
it depends how close you are to the labs.
i was fine last year because i was very near but it might be useful to get one during exam period so you can revise from past papers.
or... you can just spend money on the printer so you can print past papers which is what i actually recommend because using a computer to read hurts your eyes.
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
I would highly recommend one.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

This. Also, computer labs have this nasty tendency to close. Personal laptops don't.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!