Page 1 of 2
So I just thought it might be a good idea to post my building progress here. I started this build this summer and planned to be done before school began, I guess I failed with that (it starts tomorrow). But The guitar is almost done so this first post will contain lots of pics

Anyway the guitar has a mini scale (500mm) and the plan is also to have a built in amp and speaker. The amp will be a VOX amplug that I've just taken the electronics out of. I've also bought a cheep mini guitar that I've taken all the hardware out of and also based all the measurements from it.

So let's see the work:

The cheapo guitar measured to draw a plan for the guitar in CAD.

The wood : )

The plan.

The wood piece for the neck.

Wings cut out.

Glued together..

Got the shape cut out.

Neck cut to size.

Head angle sawed..

Seams like I can't post all pictures in the same post so I'll update with more pictures as fast ass I can..
that's quite a small guitar

what kind of wood is that?
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
It's ash : D

Rough head shape sawed out..

...and glued on

Sawed to the right shape (Jackson headshape : D)

Neck shaping has begun!

And done.

Took some parts from the cheapo guitar..

This will become the fretboard : D

Sanding it

Measuring where the frets shall be.
Crasy me will put 24 frets on this small one :b

Routing for pickup started..
lookin good!
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.

Pickup routing done.

Drilled out a hole for the speaker

Also drilled out for the push/pull-pot..

..and for the amp circuit

Holes for the ferruls.

Routed for the battery holder.

And routed for the cover.

Fretboard shape.

Cut the binding

And it's glued on : D

Dot's : D

Frets are cut out..

Drilled holes for the tuners..

Routed for binding

Also on the body..

Taped it, soon to bee painted..

Painted

Tried to do a black burst but it looked like shit so I sanded it down again and repainted it.

I also tried to do a logo but if failed as you can see :b

The back is black :b

Some clearcoat on it.

Sanded the head down after the third failed attempt at the logo.

Now I've made a logo from vinyl this will probably work..

Well thats all that I've done so far will be updating this thread when I get mor stuff done
no truss rod?

otherwise: damn you work fast. and i thought i work redonkulously fast!
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by conor1148
no truss rod?

otherwise: damn you work fast. and i thought i work redonkulously fast!

I don't think the truss rod is needed because of the short neck. Most miniguitars that I've seen does not have any truss rod..

Well I've been working all summer
Last edited by oed at Aug 22, 2010,
looks amazing so far (great choice in body style)
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
That's awesome!

And how does the amplug thing sound?

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Thanks
The amplug (metal) sounds very good for being so small that it is.
And that reminds me; I forgot to post pics of the electronics that I've soldered..

The amplug circuit soldered on a cable that will go directly to the pot instead of going to a jack.

And two cables that will go to the battery cavity.

To turn it on and off with the push/pull-pot..

From the amplug to the pot.

Excellent idea with the AmPlug.

You should keep the headphones-out somewhere on the guitar for built-in super-silent nighttime playing.
Last edited by Seref at Aug 23, 2010,
Thanks everyone

Quote by Seref

Excellent idea with the AmPlug.

You should keep the headphones-out somewhere on the guitar for built-in super-silent nighttime playing.

Haven't thought of that but then I would have to buy a new jack because I've ruined the current one to be able to solder on the speaker. And I would also have to make some kind of killswitch for the speaker..
Would be cool but to much work, maybe on the next one
You can buy headphone jacks that have a NC tip, so when you put in a plug, it can disconnect another signal, so it really wouldn't be all that much work.

I'd suggest this one:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Switchcraft/35RAPC4BVN4/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv0W4pxf2HiV3fTUvSc3cBd3QpfVNRm5Lc%3d

Connect the sleeve to ground, the output from the circuit to the tip, and the speaker positive to the ring.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Thanks for the info but I think I'll pass, it's not worth drilling a new whole through the clearcoat
I'm convinced, you're a dirty liar.

there is no way this is your first build.
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by conor1148

What convinced you?

No, but seriously this is my first build. But I've gotten some help from a boat-builder/cabinet-maker, I know how build a guitar and he knows how to not **** up basically

Some progress:

Clearcoat on the front done!

Done on the headstock too..

Time for headstock binding!

Messy as hell but it worked..
Time for an update maybe :b

Well the main reason I have updated this thread is that the site I upload pictures to has stopped allowing people to upload. And I haven't got the motivation to look for a new service. Suggest one

Now the guitar is almost done and I'm doing wiring. But I've run in to a problem, there is a endless feedback loop when I turn on the amp and I don't really know why.
A video of what happens: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJrpPhRvwgE

I will try to see If the same thing happens when I put music through the aux. If it does then it's the speakers fault if not I don't know
Quote by conor1148

Just look at his little fret holder!
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
Oh my ****ing god dude. That looks bad ass as hell!! Whats the scale on that beast?
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
Well it might have nothing to do with the pick-up, have you ever noticed that your strings will cause each other to ring, thats do to sympathetic vibration. Now in this cause your just sending the same signal at the string, and its picking that up, thus your string will constantly ring either causing infinite sustain with growing volume, or feedback, just like when you put a guitar next to an amplifier. If you can move the speaker so that its not pointed at the strings it may help, like in a corner or something(but your guitar seems to be lacking those). If nothing else put a 1/8 jack in it and make it have a head phone out instead.
End this is a magnificent oportunity to see how magnetic field works

There is a reason why noone put speaker in theirs guitars.
First of all you need a speaker that cancel his magnetic field (some pc speakers have it)
The problem is that beacose of this future their magneses are double sized and wont feet in guitar.
Second thing is sound wave and air compression that any speaker will produce while working so he can't be pointed at strings or at top of the guitar (back of the guitar is the best posibility).
Third thing is that every speaker produce vibration and wood as you know send this vibration to string more or less.
Last thing...Any electronic/electric component produce (end is sensitive to) magnetic field especialy components like amps (not wichout reason they are allways in metal boxes to prewent distortion of signal from surrounding)
You can minimalized by taping all cavity in guitar using "Cu" tape. But like I said it only minimalize the effect not prevent.

I'm sorry to say but your project wont work unless you took of the speaker
Last edited by gizmoss at Sep 5, 2010,
Thanks for all replies, and yes it seams that the speakers magnetic field is interfering with the pickup (if i move the speaker away the sound stops).

But I've seen lots of guitars with a speaker in the same position as mine and apperently they work. Anyone know how?
Quote by gizmoss

There is a reason why noone put speaker in theirs guitars.

The idea will work.

Shielding everything should be a good start. But it needs to be shielded very well. Every single cavity.

The speaker needs to be mounted in a "floating manner." The body of the guitar needs to be shielded from vibrations by mounting the speaker in with some sort of foam insulation stripping. They make double-sided foam tape. A layer or two of that holding the speaker to the guitar should work. And that contact surface, even though its foam, needs to be small.

A grate over the pickup might help. Some small expanded metal mesh. Plus it'll look badass. This should also be held on with foam tape too.

Look into the magnetic field cancelling speaker like Gizmoss said. You may have to go with a smaller quieter speaker in order for it to fit though.
-Edgar Degas
It's either the magnets or the fact that you have an odd makeshift sustainer. I tried reading what gizmoss said, but alas, I failed.

I don't think that copper shielding will do anything for this specific problem. You have a speaker next to more or less a microphone, so maybe like someone had suggested, getting a mesh or a covering for the speaker.

EDIT: and I don't know why someone would suggest photobucket, imageshack is by far the easiest.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Last edited by MonkeyLink07 at Sep 5, 2010,
Photobucket is hella-easier to me than image shack. Just sayin.
-Edgar Degas
doesn't photobucket have that weird bandwith problem? and I like it cause if someone searches for the image, you get a direct image with imageshack, while photobucket you get that "user page" with the image and options to zoom in and stuff, and it always makes it load slowly for me and half the time the image never shows up.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by MonkeyLink07
doesn't photobucket have that weird bandwith problem? and I like it cause if someone searches for the image, you get a direct image with imageshack, while photobucket you get that "user page" with the image and options to zoom in and stuff, and it always makes it load slowly for me and half the time the image never shows up.

I've used photobucket for 4-5 years now, if it wasnt for that i might switch to something else.

the only problems i have is i'll upload an album at once, and one or two will "fail". reupload them and they're fine

but i'm using facebook more and more now, just because i can take pics straight from my phone and have them taken and uploaded in under a minute. perfect for one or two shots.
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

So, here is some updates finally!
(Sorry for giant pictures)

So here is the new speaker, a small one i got from a fm radio. Shielded the speaker with some steel.

To the left is the old speaker, to the right the new one, the magnet is much smaller :b

Almost done! Just some small stuff left..

The sound from the new speaker isn't that loud but it's enough. And atleast I don't get the annoying feedback-loop
That bridge looks ****ing huge!
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Page 1 of 2