Okay, so a seven string is tuned BEADGBE. When a lot of players set up their six strings for this tuning, they normally tune BEADF#B. Why is the G string tuned flat? I thought the tunings were supposed to be the same. Is there a logical reason behind this? Thanks.
Last edited by Mirakus at Aug 22, 2010,
yes you just fail to see it....a 7 string is standard tuning plus a lower b string......on a six string/ baritone you are tuning down 2.5 steps. so basically its standard tuning 5 notes lower
Gear:
Fernandes Revolver Elite
Schecter C1 Exotic
Schecter C1 Classic
Peavey JSX head
Hartke 4x12 cab
Boss GT-8
BBE 362 Sonic maximizer
it's because that string is normally a B, and since the whole guitar is tuned down 5 half steps, you turn down 5 half steps to F#, although some people tune it to F# on sevens and G on sixes, personal preference really.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Thanks for the quick replies! I'm still a little confused about it. It would seem to me that "B Standard" would still include the G note, but I guess what Im asking is, with that one string being an F#, are the relationships between strings going to sound the same? I don't normally play in that tuning, but want to try to adapt it to do some covers. I'm mainly just wanting to make sure I can get it sounding right.
That baritone tuning has the exact same intervals between the open notes as a normal 6-string does: M3, M3, M3, m3, M3. A 7-string keeps that, but ADDS a low B, so it's: M3, M3, M3, M3, m3, M3.

So normal 6: EADGBE
Baritone, 5 semitones down: BEADF#B

Normal 7: B EADGBE
5 semitones down: F# BEADF#B
Quote by Dayn
That baritone tuning has the exact same intervals between the open notes as a normal 6-string does: M3, M3, M3, m3, M3. A 7-string keeps that, but ADDS a low B, so it's: M3, M3, M3, M3, m3, M3.

So normal 6: EADGBE
Baritone, 5 semitones down: BEADF#B

Normal 7: B EADGBE
5 semitones down: F# BEADF#B

Thanks! This answer about the intervals was what I needed!