Im looking for a new guitar. I mostly play a lot of punk rock, nirvana, and a little metallica. I was looking at the fender Standard Strat and changing the pickup to a hot rails and i was also looking at a Gibson Les Paul classic. my budget would be nothing over 2000. what are your opinions on these guitars? which one do you think would be better for the music that i play?
What other gear are you working with? amp, pedals?
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
Quote by brad_butcher
fender yes gibson boo charvel or G&L sound perfect for you

wow, fanboy much?

THERE IS MORE TO GUITARS THAN GIBSON AND FENDER.

Go to a guitar shop, try out ALL the guitars in your budget range and see which one you like best.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
fan boy? because fender charvel and g&l are what i love? then yes im a fanboy and everyone knows theres more guitars then fender and gibson fool nuts
Butcher
For a good punk sound, all you really need is a decent tube amp, a good dirt pedal, and a guitar with humbuckers, unless you like that really sharp tone, then you might want to get a guitar with single coils.

I used to play a lot of punk and my set-up was an SG with P-90 pickups going through a Boss SD-1 into a Fender Bassman Worked great for me. I could get great punk tones, and a lot fo really good rock and indie tones too.

Quote by Nate12sg
thanks...i have a marshall jcm 900 for my amp.

Oh, you lucky...... Okay, so you're pretty much set, then. Uhm, with $2000 to spend on a guitar, you've got a lot of options. Go wild, man. Play everything in your price range and find the perfect guitar for you

maybe an hss strat or an SG.,,gives you quite a bit of bite
I would go for the Fender Strat because it has wider frets, so that you can shred easier. Also , the Highway Standard has both single and double coil pick ups for maximun versatilit, The LEs PAul only has humbuckers.

ron666
Gibsons aren't rewarding to play in my experience. The fat necks and rosewood boards just don't do it for me. I have a strat converted to HH and it's way better than my old SG I used to have. I used it for years as my #1, and a few months ago I got an ESP Horizon and I haven't looked back.

What I'd recommend for you is to get something like this: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Standard-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=515747

It'll give you more options as to what kind of pickup you can put in the bridge position since not all models can be made to fit strat single-coil slots. If you can wait, I'd even suggest getting a warmoth (licensed by fender) build done, or buying from their showcase. Either way, it's infinitely better to get a HSS guitar than an SSS one with hot-rails.