FBI Report Says Crime Lab Misrepresented Crucial Blood Evidence in Hundreds of Cases

Page 1 of 2
Greg Taylor was wrongfully convicted of killing a prostitute in 1991 in North Carolina. Taylor proclaimed his innocence, but the evidence against him seemed insurmountable: blood from the victim found on his SUV.

The catch is that there was never any blood in the car. Taylor was convicted after crime lab technicians reported traces of blood on his SUV near the crime scene. Those same technicians buried the results of additional testing that showed there was never any blood.

Taylor wrongly served 17 years in prison until being released in February.

Cooper said that the investigators pored through 15,000 lab files from the period between 1986 and 2003. Of those, they identified 230 instances where a lab report did not clearly reflect the totality of information in the lab notes.

The investigation does not conclude that people were wrongly convicted of crimes, but it does call for a re-examination of 190 of the 230 criminal cases where blood evidence was misrepresented.

The independent report confirmed long-held suspicions about the people at the North Carolina crime lab. It said that "information that was material or even favorable to the defense was withheld and misrepresented."

Of the 190 cases that will now be reviewed, four people are sitting on death row, three have already been executed and five died in prison.

One of the highest-profile cases involved in the investigation is the conviction of two men for the murder of the father of basketball superstar Michael Jordan. Lab technicians reported that there was blood at the crime scene but they didn't reveal that four additional tests were inconclusive.

Four of the technicians responsible still work for the lab and that state is promising that they will be disciplined. Since 2003, North Carolina's crime lab has changed its methods substantially. It uses modern blood testing methods and prosecutors have online access to lab files that they can give to defense attorneys, too.

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/fbi-north-carolina-crime-lab-buried-blood-evidence/story?id=11431980

Holy shit, I really hope no innocent people were executed because of this. The fact that one guy lost out on so much of his life is bad enough.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Why the hell would they do that?
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
I wonder if their "discipline" will involve serving 17 years in prison, or being executed after sitting on death row for a few decades.
rabble rabble rabble...

earn your money, your job entails you to do it properly when lives and the well being of others are at stake.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Quote by MakinLattes
I wonder if their "discipline" will involve serving 17 years in prison, or being executed after sitting on death row for a few decades.

Frankly I'm shocked that there is no criminal offence here, anyone involved should be prosecuted.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by MakinLattes

PLUS ONE.
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Frankly I'm shocked that there is no criminal offence here, anyone involved should be prosecuted.

of course not. they push cases through, whether or not the evidence is there to justify prosecution. in that respect, they are valuable employees.
Bloody hell.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by sg255
Why the hell would they do that?

Conviction rate.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']I've always said this would happen.
Yet you did nothing.

I'm watching you...
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
the only reason you think they deserve the same punishment is because you're probably emotional on the subject, or just not as rational as you think you are.

an eye for an eye isn't the answer, if that were the case, if I had this job I'd demand millions of dollars because my job has high risk.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Quote by Meths
Conviction rate.

What, so the lab teams have quotas to meet or something? I don't see how the results they show would end up in them being punished if a conviction isn't made.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
Jesus. That's insane.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
This is why I think they shouldn't be to trigger-happy with the death penalty...
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Human Error will happen. The problem is the people who made the mistakes and those who knew about the mistakes but did nothing will not be punished.
^
Not giving pertinent information to defence attorneys and leaving stuff out of lab reports isn't human error, it's malicious.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
the only reason you think they deserve the same punishment is because you're probably emotional on the subject, or just not as rational as you think you are.

an eye for an eye isn't the answer, if that were the case, if I had this job I'd demand millions of dollars because my job has high risk.

I don't think anyone has called for the same punishment, people have used hyperbole to highlight the fact that the discipline will likely only, if even, result in them losing their jobs. Those who've already left seem to be getting off completely scot free. That seems crazy when these were malicious acts that resulted in such horrific consequences, it's also something which needs to be deterred.
I don't think they should get 17 years in prison, or even close to it, but I do think that there should be some sort of criminal conviction; and there may yet be but the article didn't mention one.

Also, the issue here isn't that mistakes were made, the issue is that data was deliberately hidden and misrepresented. We all know that crime labs make mistakes, perhaps we don't realise it enough though, but we at least expect that they won't deliberately lie.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Aug 22, 2010,
Quote by sg255
What, so the lab teams have quotas to meet or something? I don't see how the results they show would end up in them being punished if a conviction isn't made.

It boosts the whole legal system's conviction rate. They'll be under pressure to provide evidence that the police want.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Ur all $h1t
^

Also, the issue here isn't that mistakes were made, the issue is that data was deliberately hidden and misrepresented. We all know that crime labs make mistakes, perhaps we don't realise it enough though, but we at least expect that they won't deliberately lie.

oh I get it...I thought it was a simple mistake.

my mistake.

to reiterate my previous post...

fuck them, fuck them in their stupid asses.
yo.

I BELIEVE
The families of/ those people who have been convicted should sue the individual analysts for damages.
Couldn't they be convicted for obstruction of justice? Or for being indirectly responsible for having innocent people sent to their deaths?
Last edited by RU Experienced? at Aug 22, 2010,
Quote by Zoot Allures
The guy, and everyone else who was wrongfully convicted should have MASSIVE amounts of compensation, no tax for the rest of their lives and a steady income paid to them. 17 years robbed of you is terrible

rabble rabble rabble.

awesome tea party advocate just here to ask...why should I suffer??

rabble rabble rabble.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Give them all Get out of Jail Free cards for their next crime.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz

So what, you don't think they should be punished for making deliberate and malicious lies which sent innocent people to jail? I really hope nobody was executed due to this.

There should be a punishment beyond losing their job for this. It's completely unacceptable, makes a mockery of the legal system, and takes away innocent peoples lives.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
So what, you don't think they should be punished for making deliberate and malicious lies which sent innocent people to jail? I really hope nobody was executed due to this.

There should be a punishment beyond losing their job for this. It's completely unacceptable, makes a mockery of the legal system, and takes away innocent peoples lives.

I've already been corrected for my mistake.
yo.

I BELIEVE
That is... horrifying actually.

If they get off without criminal charges filed against them, I will not be a happy camper.
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
Old news is old.

Seriously, it seems either some local radio station reported the story to me in the car or it's a clear troll news story nowadays.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by The Article
Four of the technicians responsible still work for the lab and that state is promising that they will be disciplined

Makes it sound like they'll get a slap on the wrist. Definitely an adequate punishment for ruining lives.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Unbelievable. Absolutely unbelievable. What do you think he got, in return? Maybe the money from lost salaries of past years. Some money for restitution, psychological help, this and that. A couple of million? That's if he got any money.

I wouldn't stand for that. After losing all those years of my very own life...

Honestly, I could see myself planning something as soon as they would let me out. And I would just go on the most brutal rampage known to humanity and just turn everything in my path to scorched earth.

Or not. lol
Quote by metalblaster
Unbelievable. Absolutely unbelievable. What do you think he got, in return? Maybe the money from lost salaries of past years. Some money for restitution, psychological help, this and that. A couple of million? That's if he got any money.

I wouldn't stand for that. After losing all those years of my very own life...

Honestly, I could see myself planning something as soon as they would let me out. And I would just go on the most brutal rampage known to humanity and just turn everything in my path to scorched earth.

Or not. lol

Lol I actually think he'll be like "Can I get some compensation here? 17 years of my life wasted!" and they'll reply "You're free, isn't that enough?"
Quote by Ur all $h1t
^
Not giving pertinent information to defence attorneys and leaving stuff out of lab reports isn't human error, it's malicious.

It's criminal.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Page 1 of 2