I've been looking at Ibanez guitars recently (the thin necks are the main attraction ) and I was wondering what people's experiences were with them. Also, what Ibanez guitar would you recommend for metal music (mainly thrash/death) at around £300-500? Thanks
I like my Ibanez a lot. Easy neck to get up and down on, and for your style I think something with a locking tremolo which a lot of Ibanez guitars have would be perfect for you.
My Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 75w
- Epiphone SG G-310(Added Seymour Duncan's)
- Epiphone Black Beauty III
- Ibanez RG200
- Squier Telecaster Retrovibe
- John
Personally I love Ibanez's. Comfortable guitars to play, great sounding and they look great as-well.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Hi there,

I've recently bought my first Ibanez after 10 years of strats and les pauls and I love it. It's an RG09 LTD PPW and cost £322. Took a bit of time to get used to the edge 3 trem but now it's my main guitar because tuning stability is rock solid, it's very light and neck is great in my opinion.

Would recommend to anyone.

Cheers

Matt
for your budget a s420 or a rg420 or if you are willing to go used a rg550.

i`ve only had 1 minor problem with my jem (5 way selector switch just locked on the middle position) i returned it to ibanez an it came back repaired with a full service report and fully setup, their customer service is excellent.

i won`t choose any other brand now, among all their guitars you`ll find a guitar that suits the tone you are after.....
I absolutely adore my RG-R420EX. It's fantastic for all kinds of metal. I've not tried tuning it in anything other than Standard, if that's your thing, but it's lovely to play, lovely to hear, and not bad to look at, either

Edit: Definately worth the £380 it cost
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
With your budget you can get some amazing guitars 2nd hand.

Look out for used prestige S guitar,

Amazing guitars and if you get lucky you may get one with the older super wizard neck

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
You only have to see my sig to know how I feel about Ibanez.

Best playing guitars I have ever tried. They have unlimited potential in the sense that the basic materials used are of the highest quality, a pickup swap and a setup gets their mid range guitars playing and sounding like high end instruments.

I myself am saving £2500 for an S series J Custom right now. I wouldn't put that kind of money down on an instrument from a company I did not trust.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Ibanez? Best guitars in the world.

That is, of course, only my opinion. Go try a few and decide for yourself.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Do you want a Floyd or not?

In general, stay away from the cheaper RG models with a Floyd - if it says it has a trem called 'Edge III' in the product description, avoid it. Also stay away from used guitars with an Edge pro II, crap as well.

Fixed bridge models are fine. So are guitars with the following double locking systems: Edge, Edge Pro, Edge Zero (current models, found on RG Prestige instruments), LoPro Edge.

Looking outside of the RG series, the S series is nice because the guitars have good trems, even the cheaper (non-Prestige) ones. The S320 is the cheapest guitar with a good double locking trem that I can think of. It's 500€ or so.

With Ibanez, you have to keep in mind that the stock pups are pretty average, to put it kindly. But a pup swap is a small price to pay, given that the guitars are very good otherwise, especially when considering the price. If you can, get a Prestige RG or S (700 quid and up). Those are keepers - haven't played one I didn't like.
Quote by TheQuailman
Also stay away from used guitars with an Edge pro II, crap as well.

Fixed bridge models are fine. So are guitars with the following double locking systems: Edge, Edge Pro, Edge Zero (current models, found on RG Prestige instruments), LoPro Edge.

Looking outside of the RG series, the S series is nice because the guitars have good trems, even the cheaper (non-Prestige) ones. The S320 is the cheapest guitar with a good double locking trem that I can think of. It's 500€ or so.

With Ibanez, you have to keep in mind that the stock pups are pretty average, to put it kindly. But a pup swap is a small price to pay, given that the guitars are very good otherwise, especially when considering the price. If you can, get a Prestige RG or S (700 quid and up). Those are keepers - haven't played one I didn't like.

hmm edge pro II is the best knife edged non prestige tremolo..its better than the LO TRS II and the Edge III

+ 1 for the rest of your post
Seeing as the LoTSR and Edge III are crap, that doesn't mean much.
It is better than these two, but it's still not good. And because there's affordable guitars with a ZR already, I don't think there's a reason to buy anything with an EPII in it.
Quote by TheQuailman
Seeing as the LoTSR and Edge III are crap, that doesn't mean much.
It is better than these two, but it's still not good. And because there's affordable guitars with a ZR already, I don't think there's a reason to buy anything with an EPII in it.

damn straight!!

the ZR is almost unbeatable for the price
if you`ve got 300- 500 you could be getting a better ibby than that, have a look at a rga42 or if you like 7 string a rg7321, if you want to save up another 100.....taking your top end to 600 you could get a prestige rga121

http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/Guitars/Electric_Guitars/Electric/sc1437/p6140.aspx

in fact there`s a fair few ibbys with a fixed bridge....if you can afford to go up to 600

http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/Guitars/Electric_Guitars/Electric/sc1437_b1336_prc450-599.99.aspx

just shop around and google shopping is your friend
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Aug 23, 2010,