hey guys ok so i have an acoustic guitar and i'm hoping to get an electric guitar for christmas this year and i found one that i like and it seems like a pretty good price, considering i'm still a beginner. (it's an epiphone G310) and it says that it has a 'bolt on neck' and some of the people that reviewed it were saying that was the only thing they didn't like about it so is there something wrong with a bolt on neck? or is it just personal preferance?

thanks
There are well made bolt-ons as well as there are cheaply made bolt-ons. The same goes for set necks, and to a lesser degree neck-thrus. Generally, it's easier to bolt a neck to a guitar than it is to set it in and glue it, but it's no worse if it's done right. Tom Anderson's are all bolt-ons, and they absolutely kill. Same with Vigier.
Bolt-ons work fine. Fender have used them for a long long time.
The only problem is that a bolt-on needs a bigger chunk of wood getting in the way of upper fret access. That is less of a problem on an SG than on, say, a Les Paul. In terms of sound and balance, I prefer the G310 to the G400.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Nah, it's all fine. What the guys probably meant was that SG guitars usually come with set (glued-in) necks, instead of bolt on, so finding a bolt neck on the 310 is a little odd. It's different tonally a bit, but not worse or better necessarily. The guitar's fine, either way.

Btw, when you buy an Epiphone, personally inspect it first. Their quality control has improved in recent years, but they still produce the occasional turd.
Quote by Lurcher
Bolt-ons work fine. Fender have used them for a long long time.
The only problem is that a bolt-on needs a bigger chunk of wood getting in the way of upper fret access. That is less of a problem on an SG than on, say, a Les Paul. In terms of sound and balance, I prefer the G310 to the G400.

The only problem with the G-310 is it's a fairly terrible guitar.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by TheQuailman
Nah, it's all fine. What the guys probably meant was that SG guitars usually come with set (glued-in) necks, instead of bolt on, so finding a bolt neck on the 310 is a little odd. It's different tonally a bit, but not worse or better necessarily. The guitar's fine, either way.

Btw, when you buy an Epiphone, personally inspect it first. Their quality control has improved in recent years, but they still produce the occasional turd.

the sg310 has always had a bolt on

joe satriani, steve vai, paul gilbert etc don`t have problems with bolt on necks, it`s just kids making pointless arguements over a couple of milliseconds of sustain, if anything a bolt on neck is more advantageous if you were to damage a neck it`s 4 or 5 screws to replace the neck.
I've owned both bolt ons and set necks and I prefer bolt ons anyday...for a beginner getting there first electric you should love that sg bro it will be like heaven
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by stykerwolf
it's just a way to attach the neck to the body. some people say it reduces sustain, but i'm sure it won't be audible for you or most people.
that being said, most guitars are bolt on necks ranging from strats to br00talz guitars like them schecters and all

schecters only have 3 lines that use bolt ons. and they're the very low-end/beginner models. everything else uses set neck/neck-thru.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by mistyrex!
hey guys ok so i have an acoustic guitar and i'm hoping to get an electric guitar for christmas this year and i found one that i like and it seems like a pretty good price, considering i'm still a beginner. (it's an epiphone G310) and it says that it has a 'bolt on neck' and some of the people that reviewed it were saying that was the only thing they didn't like about it so is there something wrong with a bolt on neck? or is it just personal preferance?

thanks

It just reduces upper fret access, sustain (and other fancy things normal people can't even notice). No problem for you, mate!
Nothing at all wrong with bolt-ons as a means of attachment, BUT an SG with a bolt-on just isn't right. It completely changes the point of attachment for an SG. The bolt-on G310 has the body meeting the neck around the 18-19th fret.....set neck G400 has it around the 21-22nd fret. This is a HUGE difference.
Bolt-ons are fine and some bolt-ons have better upper fret access than set necks. I'm pretty sure there is no definitive study that has been recorded that bolt on's produce more or less sustain anyway. (Anyone, please link me the documentation if I'm wrong.)

Anyway, I'm mostly posting to get Quailman to remove that sig. I clicked on it one time and it took 3 days to drive that image out of my mind!!
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an
With the bolt on versus set neck debate......

With a good bolt on neck the neck joint where the base of the neck meets the guitar body inside the guitar will be so close to each other that there practically is no gap. This means that there is minimal loss of sustain.

With a set neck there will always be glue holding the neck in place, the glue will dampen the vibrations going through the guitar at the point where the base of the neck meets the body. Of course only to a slight degree.

This means that both methods of attaching a neck to a body are about equal, and neck through guitars also suffer some draw backs believe it or not. In the end its all preference.

There are a reason that a larger number of the best guitars available are still bolt on necks.

Of course a poor bolt on will result in a greater loss of sustain, but for a beginner it doesn't really matter.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Thats a good choice for a guitar. The epiphone G310 is a good guitar. I don't give a f**k what people say. I love mine, its one of the most comfortable guitars I have ever played. Its not heavy its easy to play standing or sitting. I think it also has very good tone considering the price range of the guitar. Its so annoying that people bash these cheaper guitars because they are all used to high end gear so they see something in a lower price range and think its shit. F**K that you will like that guitar, I paid 85 for mine at a pawn shop and it was the best 85 I have ever spent on a guitar.
My Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 75w
- Epiphone SG G-310(Added Seymour Duncan's)
- Epiphone Black Beauty III
- Ibanez RG200
- Squier Telecaster Retrovibe
- John
One of my friends had one, and I hated the feel of the neck. Don't take that as a bad thing though because the way you like the neck is all up to you. Hell you could end up liking a neck that I would want to destroy after playing it.

Just make sure you play it, and make sure it's what you want because as someone said before, Epiphone can let a piece of shit through every once in a while.
Hope you like it TS.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13

Just make sure you play it:

This....always!!
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Bolt ons aren't really a problem. Some people say the sound is brighter with a bolt on and there's less sustain but I don't think it effects it all that much having tried both types of guitars. The pro of a bolt on is it is much easier to repair or adjust. If you break a fixed neck, then it's gonna be expensive and pretty damn hard to repair well.
Gear:

Squier Tele Custom ii (p90 version)

Orange Crush 10

Fender CD140S